Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: another automated Master Caster

Boolit Mold

another automated Master Caster

I truly want to thank all of the gentlemen here for all the posts and help they have provided. This project would have been much more difficult with out their help. My background is 25 years of control systems from simple to offshore platforms. I was raise recycling things, straightening nails for my granddad when I was 10. The goal was to try and keep the automation under $500. What you will see is under $400 so $600 for the MC, under $1000 and making bullets at about 24 a minute. I have bought 11 sets of molds at an average price of around $55 each. I have 3 PID controllers (black box) that I use on Lee pots or when making ingots from wheel weights.

The two displays on the cabinet are programable timing relays. The left display allows adjusting pour time by 0.01 of a second. Went from the 0.37 seconds to 0.40 sec just before the pics as the pot was going down and needed a little more sprue. The right display is the knocker function. It toggles between the extend air solenoid and the retract solenoid for 0.17 sec. Just enough for the mold arm to retract a bit and then be slammed against the extend stop. Time and number of pulses to reverse are programable within the display. Two internal timing relays inside the cabinet, one controls the extend and retract solenoids. The other is a pour delay, Limit Switch 1 (ramped ring on the shaft) must be closed for 1/2 sec b4 the pour starts. LS2 is for extend, when the contact closes, it latches a relay powered by the extend circuit, and triggers the knock timer for switching between ext and ret. One separate air solenoid on the ext and one on the ret function of the main cylinder. The black cylinder on the top of the pour cylinder is a built in solenoid valve. Two air regulators, pour set at 60 psi and ext/ret set at 30-40 psi. The red switch on the cabinet turns off/on the knock function. Also have had the mold arm stick in the pour retracted position and it keeps pouring lead. Probably add a latching relay on the LS2 closing to confirm extended. Alarm and stop if extend is not reached.

Half way thru, I decided to switch to a PLC. The programming software for the PLC that Hatch uses is only available in Windows and I am using a Mac so went back to the relays. So many more options with a PLC. Working on making the schematics readable, BoM and will post. The caster will be moving between my garage and a friends shop. I installed a 12 pin connector in the umbilical so the caster and cabinet could be separated during transportation.

I ordered a 12VDC solenoid to run off an additional timing display for the pour of a Lee 4-20 pot. It didn’t have the force I thought it needed to actuate the pour so sent it back and working on getting another one. I have over 20 molds that will not run on the MC. An accurate timing of the pours is really nice. Have set the pour timer from 0.32 up to 0.75 seconds to get the sprue just full on different bullet weights.

Converted 100 pounds of lead into mini ingots weight between 95 and 300 grains, running about 9 hours. Making bullets for 5 or so shooters. Working on an automated sizer with a bullet collator. There is a design out on the internet that uses a camera to read the head stamp of brass cases and then sorts based on the letters. Thinking that the software might be adapted to access a load cell input and automatically sort bullets based on weight. That’s a ways down the road.

Been fun getting to this point. Future holds using a motor/gear box instead of the air cylinder for ext/ret. A lot of slamming going on. Using the motor to move to the extend and using an air cylinder to tap on the mold is probably better long term. Also have thoughts on how to get more productivity out the MC.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MC cabinet 4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	326675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MC cabinet 10.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	326676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MC cabinet 5.jpg 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	326677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MC cabinet 6.jpg 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	326678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MC cabinet 7.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	326679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MC cabinet 8.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	326680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MC cabinet 9.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	326681

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice clean build.

A gear motor would be an improvement over air cylinders IMO. There was a guy (German IIRC) who did one and the video of it was impressive. But he had about $3000 into it. I believe he used electric solenoids for the "tappers". It was very slick but too rich for me. He was going to offer units for sale, but it never materialized.

Good luck with your efforts!
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Nice clean build.

A gear motor would be an improvement over air cylinders IMO. There was a guy (German IIRC) who did one and the video of it was impressive. But he had about $3000 into it. I believe he used electric solenoids for the "tappers". It was very slick but too rich for me. He was going to offer units for sale, but it never materialized.

Good luck with your efforts!
    Schupter hasn't mentioned anything about "quitting" according to a May 12 posting they made on their Facebook page, but his approach for using electric gear motors and electic solenoids instead of air might be something that some(particularly home/domestic users) might appreciate from a noise perspective.

https://schuptercasting.com/

They're on Facebook under the same name

-Dan

When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master

What a thing of beauty! I fixed up an old Master Caster !!!! It is working well. Sure would be nice to automate it! It is a chore casting the boolits, constantly watching the lead level in the 20 lb pot but still easier than handling 6-cavity H&G and Lyman 4-cavity moulds. My wrists take a beating. Enjoyed the video!!!

Just received this email from Schupter;...

Hi there!

This newsletter email may be a bit long, but we really hope it will give you a better picture of what's going on on our end.

We have built a few machines for beta testing. This is the last step before the machine design is finished. We want someone else to confirm that the operation, service, mold changeovers, panel functionality etc. make sense and the overall casting experience is very good.
    This video is showing the latest machine in action:
    https://youtu.be/kkVzn8fJFVY?si=7Uhr5FgYJXcryy9s

In the past weeks we have had multiple meetings with suppliers and engineers specialized in almost every type of parts that was used in our machine. We have decided to outsource laser cutting, welding and painting to a company that works in the military sector. Their job is amazing and the sheet metal components should remain in good condition in a tough environment. We have changed completely the heating component. It is now a stainless-steel industrial grade coil that can be used with continues load. Additionally, it is oversized for 2kW power and the temperature rating is higher than needed to melt lead. The stepper motor and the gearbox can also take much higher torque than what is needed for the mold movement back and forth. The idea of the electromagnet used to open the pot valve was taken by us from a printing press that makes millions of cycles.
    Every machine we have ever built was run 24/7 to see what could be changed or improved.

Unfortunately, all these upgrades and the engineering time have affected the price. The first batch of a few dozens of machines will be sold with a discount: $3,500 + shipping. After that the price will jump to $4,000 + shipping. We will offer a possibility of payment by credit card, which should allow you to get some percentage back depending on your bank. It also provides security and delayed payment options. 100% of the sum will be collected at the time of the order until we build more capital to have machines on hand and ship them right away.

The timeline is always tricky, because things take longer than expected, but in a matter of several weeks our website will be updated so that the product info is accurate and a form to place orders can be added. In the meantime, we should get some feedback from the beta testers to close the engineering documentation. Another thing that we are working on hard right now is logistics. We are positively surprised by the number of contacts we have received from all over the world, but this translates to finding the right partners to ship goods to every region.

I'd like to share some plans beyond this project to give you a better perspective of our vision:
    1. All the products and spare parts will be sent from Poland for the time being. We realize that this is not ideal for customers outside of Europe. If everything goes well, we'd like to have some warehouse space where most of our customers are. The US would be a priority. This way we could send you goods quickly and cheap, including whole machines.
    2. We will have a dedicated email for support for all customers where all your technical concerns can be handled quickly and accurately.
    3. We are working on another project - a 50-lb pot just like the one you see on the FA50 machine. It will be a standalone item equipped with a control panel and a pedal for safe operation (both hands free during casting). You will have an option of variable and fixed valve opening time (while the pedal remains pressed or time set on the panel activated by pressing it).
    4. We were considering downgrading the FA50 machine to something like a Master Caster, but our specialty is advanced automation, which this product would be lacking. We don't believe we can add value for customers and stay competitive with this product.
    5. Next year, we would like to open a new project - a large multi-mold casting machine that would be supreme to Bullet Master but offered at a similar price range. We think this could be a sweet item for those who run businesses.
    6. We are open to ideas and challenges, so if there are any other machines that are needed, we would love to hear about them. The only limiting factor is our engineering time, but after the release of the FA50, we should have much more capacity.

If you have any questions or comments, you can always contact us responding to this email or through our Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61555001162560

Kind regards, MN

Michal Napora
    Owner
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.