Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you serious?

fat elk, you hit the nail on the head. If everything is a number 1 priority, then everything is a number 10 priority.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, that's the calif proposition 65 warning label. Wood dust is on the proposition 65 list. You have to understand that in California, there are lawyers that make a living on prop 65 law suits. They will buy a product, have it tested, and if they find any trees of a prop 65 chemical, they file a law suit against the manufacturer. If they win they get part of the fine levied against the manufacturer. If the product is labeled, then they can't sue the manufacturer. As a result the manufacturers label everything. Somebody mentioned a pair of pliers that were labeled with a prop 65 label. They were probably zinc plated. Zinc contains naturally occurring tracesof lead. That's probably the reason for the warning. It doesn't have to make sense, it's California. You probably know that you can't use lead boolits to hunt in California. The reasoning is that you could shoot an animal, it would escape, carring the lead boolit, and the be eating by a condor (basically giant buzzards), and the condor would die of lead poisoning. Again, it doesn't have to make sense, it's California.
    Siamese4570

Quote Originally Posted by siamese4570 View Post
    Yep, that's the calif proposition 65 warning label. Wood dust is on the proposition 65 list. You have to understand that in California, there are lawyers that make a living on prop 65 law suits. They will buy a product, have it tested, and if they find any trees of a prop 65 chemical, they file a law suit against the manufacturer. If they win they get part of the fine levied against the manufacturer. If the product is labeled, then they can't sue the manufacturer. As a result the manufacturers label everything. Somebody mentioned a pair of pliers that were labeled with a prop 65 label. They were probably zinc plated. Zinc contains naturally occurring tracesof lead. That's probably the reason for the warning. It doesn't have to make sense, it's California. You probably know that you can't use lead boolits to hunt in California. The reasoning is that you could shoot an animal, it would escape, carring the lead boolit, and the be eating by a condor (basically giant buzzards), and the condor would die of lead poisoning. Again, it doesn't have to make sense, it's California.
    Siamese4570
    Did the State of California ever find a dead Condor with ingested lead in it? I have read that there never was a PROVEN case of it but the state banned lead projectiles anyway. Maybe some of our Cali members here are better versed on the law about that and can shed some light on it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    I lived in California from1975 until 2020. As bad as you imagine it, it still is worse.

I read a report of two Condors who died of lead poisoning. (However, I also read that Spotted Owls can only nest in old growth forests--and K-Mart signs). Supposedly, they had ingested lead from hunters leaving gut piles with bullets in them. They have a croup where they grind up their food using stones that they ingest. However, at least one scientist suggested that it was more likely from wheel weights that were ingested while the overgrown buzzards were eating stones from the road side--so they outlawed lead wheel weights as well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A friend brought me a souvenir from San Francisco which was a package of condoms from a gas station bathroom vending machine, having the CA cancer warning on it. No such thing as safe sex, I guess....
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A friend brought me a souvenir from San Francisco which was a package of condoms from a gas station bathroom vending machine, having the CA cancer warning on it. No such thing as safe sex, I guess....
    THAT is the ultimate warning.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    So glad I got out of Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkin lead View Post
    So glad I got out of Ca.
    Along with Weatherby and Sierra bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

In today’s litigious society, I would slap that warning on dehydrated water if I was selling it in California.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    My grandson gave me some K frame Herretts stocks for Christmas. What a great young man! When I opened them up to put them on my Model 19, I saw this sticker on the inside. Now I realize that I have led a sheltered life but what in this world is hazardous about a piece of walnut??Attachment 308471 The wood is not oily and I suppose it has a very dry finish of some kind on it, but cancer?
    A hickory axe handle I purchased came with the same warning.

I’ve since decided California is inherently carcinogenic.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    A hickory axe handle I purchased came with the same warning.

I’ve since decided California is inherently carcinogenic.
    I know a fellow here who manufactures wood handles from hammer handles to Kaiser blade handles, etc. He told me that fiberglass hammer handles were banned in California because there was a bit more stress generated by the fiberglass hammer handle, and that they could only use hickory hammer handles. So I am kind of confused now.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I know a fellow here who manufactures wood handles from hammer handles to Kaiser blade handles, etc. He told me that fiberglass hammer handles were banned in California because there was a bit more stress generated by the fiberglass hammer handle, and that they could only use hickory hammer handles. So I am kind of confused now.
    Who runs the "stress" test on hammer handles and what instrument do they use. This is pretty comical to the uninitiated.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Who runs the "stress" test on hammer handles and what instrument do they use. This is pretty comical to the uninitiated.
    Mystery to me too. Something about the fiberglass handles not absorbing as much of the hammer shock as Hickory, but don't get me a'started lying. In California probably a dim nephew of Nancy Pelosi does the testing.

The owner gave a little talk on his handle mill at the local museum, and that's where I learned that about California and hammer handles. BTW he said they used Ash for longer handles like hoe handles and such. I asked him why they did not use Hickory, and he said Hickory was bad to warp in longer lengths.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 01-03-2023 at 03:25 PM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Maybe we could get Larry Gibson to run a pressure test on hammer handles!

Boolit Mold
    Ih, dont worry about that, theyll only cause cancer if theyre in california, which as we all know is a different planet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Mystery to me too. Something about the fiberglass handles not absorbing as much of the hammer shock as Hickory, but don't get me a'started lying. In California probably a dim nephew of Nancy Pelosi does the testing.

The owner gave a little talk on his handle mill at the local museum, and that's where I learned that about California and hammer handles. BTW he said they used Ash for longer handles like hoe handles and such. I asked him why they did not use Hickory, and he said Hickory was bad to warp in longer lengths.
    I hear Nancy's dim husband is quite knowledgeable about hammer handles.....
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"