Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: It pays to cruise the pawn shops

Boolit Master

It pays to cruise the pawn shops

Today,, in between customers,, I stopped in a friends pawn shop. I was just browsing around, and found a rough older box,, with several partial spools of solder. Some was lead free, some was lead solder, and there's even a partial roll of silver solder.
    He was kind enough to let me have it for $10.00.

Yes,, I'm happy!

I agree, it does.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

There's all sorts of treasures in them.

They know and recognize the obvious stuff, but they get in some 'unknowns' too.
    I used to find some of the big Hilti concrete hammer drill bits for $5-10. bucks fairly often.
    It was a much better deal than buying them new for well over $100.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Awesome score, congratulations.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

You said it! Some pawn shops you can find great deals. Other pawn shops seem to have a large inventory but have everything way overpriced. But every one in awhile you stumble into a treasure trove. Bought a Civil war Sharps 50-70 conversion 1863 carbine for $1000 cash. Have been shooting it now for several months. I just wonder what they pawned it for? Maybe get to bang Bambi with it this fall with my home brew cast boolits!

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Congratulations! It’s always nice to find an unexpected treasure.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, you never know what you will find. Usually overpriced, but sometimes there is a jewel lying in a corner that is a bargain.

I am finding that most pawn shops are putting their guns on Gun Broker or some other auction site. Rarely ever find anything surprises or deals any more.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I got into a nest of solder rolls last winter at an estate sale for cheap but I bought them just for the obvious, soldering!

I was so busy getting older tools that others had passed by (apparently American tools with a bit of rust on them are passe, "sell me the Chinnese stuff with a temporary chrome job please") and bought the old loader tractor song that I did not think about boolit sweetening witt the solder purchase.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    Everything in the pawn shops around here is either junk, stolen, or both and the proprietors price said stolen junk as if it were made from solid gold.

I'm glad you found a deal, but I don't even waste my time going in those places anymore.

Boolit Master

One has to keep in mind that the Pawn Shops are low valuation short term Loan providers (10% on the dollar often) with them holding the collateral. When one redeems their property; they pay a considerable premium to get their properties back. When the Pawn Shop "Offers for Sale" the item that the previous owner defaulted on; they will list it at "Full Retail Value" or even higher. The longer the item sits in the shop unsold; the less return to the Pawn Shop on their "Investment". If an item has been sitting in the Pawn Shop for some time; make a low ball offer and see what the counter offer is.

My wife last year was having difficulties with arthritis in her hands and could not effectively shoot her S&W Revolver in double action; or cock the hammer for Single action. She wanted me to find a solution. Going to a Semi Auto that she could still operate was the solution, but to get one she could operate landed us into a Beretta 22LR (Not my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice - but had to settle on something that works for her). The Pawn Shop wanted near full retail price, my wife offered 50% of the on Line "used Gun Value" price, she and the Pawn Shop wrangled for a 1/2 hour about the gun and price, and she was able to get it at about 80% of the Internet search "Used Gun Value" price. The Beretta appeared to be almost "Like New". Had to go through several different brands of 22LR until we found a Brand/Weight bullet that functioned reliably (100 rounds with no misfires/fail to eject); but she is pleased with her new carry gun given her arthrits in her hands.

Bottom line is that Pawn Shops can be sources of a "Good Buy"; but one has to be knowledgable on how the operate, be willing to walk away, and even go back after a few days/weeks and see if they have changed their mind on prices (After all - their money is tied up in a product not moving).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pawn shops here are all run by crooks.
    Many of them owned by retired cops.

Boolit Master

A few years ago I was cruising the junk shops with my (much) better half. I found a box with old rusty tools, an old solder iron ( the type that needs heating with a torch), along with 2 full bars of 50/50 and a broken 1/2 bar of the same.
    It also had several partial rolls of large diameter plumbing solder, and a few partial rolls of small electrical solder.

I took it up to the counter to ask about the price. The lady looked in there, said something about the stick being broken, and hit me at under $10 for the whole box.

Sold.

Boolit Master
    I got a set of Lyman 45/70 dies in like new condition for $15 because no one in the area apparently loaded 45/70. I also got a medium-sized 2-burner Coleman multifuel stove in very good condition for $10 because the pump leather needed a few drops of oil, therefore it was "broke" and on the markdown table. No firearm deals to be had back then.

Boolit Master

August of last year, I picked up a nice 1898 Springfield Krag, manufactured in 1903. I think I'll keep checking with them off and on.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I buy Rolls of Forever Stamps for $55 at the pawn shop saving $13 per roll.

Boolit Master

Was in a small pawn shop a couple of years ago and besides all the AR black guns and Glocks there was an old single barrel shotgun and an 1853 Enfield three bander hanging up on the wall. The clerk asked if I wanted to see anything and I told him I am looking at the old musket. He said I will be right back and proceeded to go in the back of the store and came out carrying a step ladder. Told him I was sorry for having to make him fetch the old dog down. He told me I was the first customer to look at it. He handed it to me and the tag on it said British Musket $350. Wood was nice, the barrel and lock had a nice patina on it. I asked to see the two old shotgun cleaning rods standing in the corner. Taking the cleaning rods I took one apart and screwed a section from one onto the other. Now I pestered the kid for a cleaning patch and proceeded to run it down the bore. It was smooth and followed the rifling. When I removed the cleaning rod the patch stayed in the bottom of the barrel. My comment was Uh-oh !!!! The patch is stuck in the breech! I then proceeded to tell the clerk "guess I will have to buy this old dog"!!! He laughed and said He has heard a lot excuses but never on sticking a patch in the gun. He said that it was out of pawn for $100 and that I could take it home for $200. The two Ben Franklins almost jumped out of my wallet! No sales tax too as I paid cash! Yaaa hoo! Took the old relic home and scrubbed it up. Was able to worm the lost patch out and clean the bore. Took it to the range a couple of days later and had plenty of fun with it. The front sight was beat down so it shot high at 50 yards. But I can fix that. The ole girl is hanging on the wall with the brass butt and trigger guard polished up. Most days a trip to the pawn shops are a disappointment but every once in awhile ya hit a home run.

I love hanging out in pawn shops. I've gotten some great deals on guns and knives and even a french horn one fine day.

Nine out of ten times, I go away not buying anything but I see some wonderful things, to be sure.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.