Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on the 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Master

Sell me on the 327 Federal Magnum

Like the title says, sell me on the 327 Federal Magnum.

I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like an impressive cartridge. The length of the 38spl, falls ballistically between 38spl and 357mag - but closer to 38spl, 6-shot capacity in j-frame size revolvers, light recoiling from what I understand....

But that is what the hype says. Who has one? What are your thoughts and experiences with it? Is it the current best pocket revolver caliber? Seems like if so, the revolver and semi-auto calibers of the future are the 327 Magnum and the 30 Super Carry. If companies would just start making more guns chambered in them that is...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    The fun comes from learning something new. Why should I ruin your fun? Have good ear plugs.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    The fun comes from learning something new. Why should I ruin your fun? Have good ear plugs.
    I mean, before I go spend $350 on a Taurus, $750 on a Ruger, or $1100 on a S&W, could you at least give me your impressions of it?
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Here is my impression. If you have a legitimate use for it, it is not bad. I played with the .314” cartridges for a couple years, and still own them. I don’t have any legitimate use for them. I can’t squirrel hunt with them. You can only use a 22lr or a shotgun in my state. In my state it is illegal to hunt deer with. That is why there isn’t a legitimate use in my state.

The 327 packs a wallop with the right bullet. It also has a very loud crack. I couldn’t get the accuracy out of it, compared to 32 H&R magnum. That is why I prefer it to the 327. They are a lot of fun to play with, but I prefer the 32 H&R.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    If it hits just as hard or harder than caliber .XXX at one end, it will hit as hard or harder at the other end. There is no free lunch.

If a smaller caliber allows more rounds in a cylinder or magazine there is an advantage. If the smaller cartridge size is utilized to make a pistol smaller and lighter, then recoil goes up.

Seems to me, with a smaller bore in short length pistol barrels, getting as good or better ballistics will result in more muzzle blast.

Like I said, no free lunches.

The .327 Mag comes in at about 80% of the .357 Mag and 60% better than a .38+P. I have a few .357 Mag weapons and did not see what a .327 mag would do better. Investing in brass, a mold, and dies for a "new and improved" caliber made no sense for my needs. I might feel different if I wanted to conceal carry a revolver, but I use semi-autos in 9mm for that.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Loud! Fun. Versatile when you consider all the shorter cartridges that work too. No regrets other than I wish I got a larger frame/longer barrel and seven shot model. It’s whitetail capable in my opinion.

Boolit Master
    Don, I agree. But they say it is still about half the recoil of the 357 magnum. +1 round when you consider j-frames. But I'm curious what it does to cylinder throats... And it is going to be intended for carry. I'm comfortable with 38spl defensively, but if I can get a little more energy, an extra round, and light recoil, I'm open to the idea...

Barry, that's one of the things I was thinking of. I have kinda been shopping for something to shoot 32 Long with lately as a low recoiling plinker. Having the versatility to shoot the H&R and Long is definitely a plus in my opinion. Although, I really don't see any situation where I would chose to shoot the H&R. Not impressed with it's ballistics, and it's cheaper to plink with the 32 Long. Just my .02... But this would kill two birds with one stone...

Boolit Master

Think of the .327 as a 32-20, except you can get ammo and brass for a .327
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    JD,
    No way it has 80% of the energy of a .357 and half the recoil. The laws of physics are tough to break.

Here is something for you to play with. Works with handguns and rifles.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/recoil-energy
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    They are a lot of fun to play with, but I prefer the 32 H&R.
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Think of the .327 as a 32-20, except you can get ammo and brass for a .327
    my Thoughts summed up

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    JD,
    No way it has 80% of the energy of a .357 and half the recoil. The laws of physics are tough to break.

Here is something for you to play with. Works with handguns and rifles.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/recoil-energy
    I didn't claim it was breaking physics. But pretty much everyone seems to agree it has significantly less felt recoil. Been told it is loud as heck tho...

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, I just noticed this thread. I probably qualify as one of the pioneers in the 327 movement, having bought a Ruger 8 shot Blackhawk when they came out, and since S&W wouldn’t build a suitable K frame revolver having had Project 616 custom built by converting Model 66 to 327 FM. To me, the availability of loads from cat sneeze level up to ground shaking fire breathing loads was the big attraction. My favorite heavy hand load utilizes a cast LSWC over a stout load of a non canister equivalent to Accurate #9. The most impressive factory round I’ve found is Federal’s HST, a JHP with a lead teat sticking up in the middle of the HP. I could describe some results I’ve gotten, but you probably wouldn’t believe me. For casual shooting I can load down my 327 brass or more likely use 32 H&R (magnum wannabe) or 32 S&W Long.
    I’ve said this before, quoting John Sebastian, “It’s like tryin’ to tell a stranger about Rock’n’Roll.” If you know, you know, but I can’t really explain it if you don’t.
    Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 05-04-2024 at 06:44 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    It is a highly personal thing that only your logic can sort out. Would I own one? No. But I’m old fashioned when it comes to new calibers created by the industry. I ask, what does this cartridge do better than other calibers? Or is it just something to spur gun sales? Only YOU can answer those for yourself.

This “ IS “ a “new” gun / challenge. (Should be excitement). If your mind is questioning the money, is it trying to tell you something?
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Moderator Emeritus

I had one and traded it. Mine was a 4" Charter Arms Target, CEO of Charter says they will make no more 327's. It is a high pressure cartridge, I see throat erosion in the future if they eat heavy loads after 7,000-20,000 heavily loaded rounds. Just my opinion from working with other cartridges. If you want a small to medium game hunting revolver I would be all over one with an L frame or Ruger Blackhawk and a 4 5/8-7 1/2" barrel. I am not sure that you could find a better small game/varmit revolver. It would feature lighter cartridges than 38's and smaller holes in pelts if the fur market ever gets profitable.

Disadvantages are noise, and it's debatable whether or not the power gain over 32 Mag is needed for 90 % of the situations you're shooting it in. No one currently makes the revolver I described, to the best of my knowledge. Brass may not always be around. See the current situation with 480/475 brass. There is currently no companion rifles in the caliber. Resale in 20 years may not be easy.

As a defensive weapon, I think only us old guys fool ourselves into thinking a revolver is better. If you want one go for it, if you don't that's OK too.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    OK, I just noticed this thread. I probably qualify as one of the pioneers in the 327 movement, having bought a Ruger 8 shot Blackhawk when they came out, and since S&W wouldn’t build a suitable K frame revolver having had Project 616 custom built by converting Model 66 to 3227 FM. To me, the availability of loads from cat sneeze level up to ground shaking fire breathing loads was the big attraction. My favorite heavy hand load utilizes a cast LSWC over a stout load of a non canister equivalent to accurat #9. The most impressive factory round I’ve found is Federal’s HST, a JHP with a lead teat sticking up in the middle of the HP. I could describe some results I’ve gotten, but you probably wouldn’t believe me. For casual shooting I can load down my 327 brass or more likely use 32 H&R (magnum wannabe) or 32 S&W Long.
    I’ve said this before, quoting John Sebastian, “It’s like tryin’ to tell a stranger about Rock’n’Roll.” If you know, you know, but I can’t really explain it if you don’t.
    Froggie
    Very interesting. I bet that Model 66 shoots real good with that cartridge! I think Ruger does offer a GP-100 in this round now tho, so that is about the equivalent of what you had built. Thanks for sharing! Btw, drop a photo of the 66 if you get a chance! I'd love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    It is a highly personal thing that only your logic can sort out. Would I own one? No. But I’m old fashioned when it comes to new calibers created by the industry. I ask, what does this cartridge do better than other calibers? Or is it just something to spur gun sales? Only YOU can answer those for yourself.

This “ IS “ a “new” gun / challenge. (Should be excitement). If your mind is questioning the money, is it trying to tell you something?
    This is a cop out answer... I asked for opinions and impressions of first hand accounts to determine if I might want to buy one and play with it. You responded with this comment offering no information of any value at all other than to use hearing protection:

"The fun comes from learning something new. Why should I ruin your fun? Have good ear plugs."

I ask you again for your impression of the cartridge - assuming at this point you actual own a firearm chambered in it and have shot it. And you respond that the fact that I'm asking about a particular cartridge before I buy it should tell me all I need to know, and that I should answer my own questions. But at least confirming that you don't own one, and where not the target audience of the question to begin with.

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    If you wind up in Tennessee you’re welcome to try out mine. I’d be really tempted by a lever action 327 as well!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Henry in 327 and their site still shows them in their line, so, rifles were/are out there in it.

I like the 32's a lot, versatile more than the 38/357 as you can go really mild with 32 long up to hot in 327. Do you need one? Likely not.

The new Taurus is a great buy in my mind at that price. Can't loose much there if you don't care for it. Looks like $600 for an LCR if you prefer that one. Not sure where Ruger is on Single 7's or SP101's.

S&W also has their Lipsey 32mag Ultra Carry coming out, but that isn't a 327.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I see no need for the .327. I have two Ruger Blackhawks in .30 Carbine. One with 7-1/2" barrel and the other professionally shortened to 5-1/4". The .30 Carbine with full charge factory loads beats the .327 and with handloads you can tone it down to pleasant levels. The Rugers can also use .32-20 ammo and digest heavy Winchester 92 loads if that is the object of your desire. The Ruger .30 Carbine revolvers are the most accurate handguns I own. I sold my Inland M1 carbine because the Rugers were more accurate. Five-shot 3-4" iron-sight groups at 100 yards off sandbag with good ammunition are normal.

If you want watermelon sized muzzle flash suitable for night flash photography and a report so loud it is painful without both muffs and plugs try shooting LC44 military ammo at 1700 fps from a 7-1/2" or 1600 from a 5-1/4". I prefer the .309" Hornady XTP with 7.5 grains of Autocomp or 15 grains of H110 for 1500 fps. More accurate and milder report like an M96 Mauser Broomhandle, Cz52 or a Tokarev.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-01-2024 at 07:32 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 4, and owned a fifth, 3 Single7's and a 4 inch Sp101 currently. I had a Blackhawk 8 shooter, but that was much too much iron for such a small caliber. I cannot agree with Outpost on this one. My 30. Carbine Blackhawk was not at all in the same class as my 7 1/2 inch Single Seven. Not even close. My 327 Single 7 7 1/2" is the only revolver that I have managed to shoot a 1" group with in this century (more my fault than the gun's, I fear). I never managed that with the carbine Blackhawk and my eyes were younger back then.

They are noisy. A full on 327 is LOUD. But then, so was the 30 carbine Blackhawk. What I like is that you get bottom end 357 ballistics in a smaller lighter gun. The 4 inch sp101 is a pretty nifty package, though only after you perform a serious action job. Stock SP's come with gritty heavy triggers and the 327's are no exception. I tried for years to get a 3 inch when I was still back in California, but it never happened. I think that would be a great CCW revolver, but I finally decided you can't own 'em all, so I gave up on that particular unicorn.

Bottom line is that I am a fan. I keep toying with the idea of getting an H&R and making a single shot 327 carbine, but I am getting older and find it increasingly hard to justify new toys when I don't play with the ones I have. But a 327 640 S&W??? Hmm, that might follow me home..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	326177Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	326178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	326179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	326180
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-01-2024 at 08:48 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    You seem to be leaning more to the self-defense side of the 327 than a woods gun but here is my opinion. I looked at the original 3-inch J framed S&W first offered with the muzzle brake and shied away because I worried about the 327's bark. Make no mistake it does make noise about like the 30 Carbine round. I purchased one of the full sized 8 shoot Blackhawk 327's and like it enough but should have waited for the Single Six version. The 327 belongs in a smaller framed pistol. I had one of the 4-inch K framed 32 H&R and didn't care for it because of the full lugged barrel traded it off for the J framed Kit Gun 32 H&R. The 32's in any flavor are fun pistols and with the 327 the time between the bang and clang is surprisingly short. Mine are mostly woods guns though.