Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

Thread: MagTech Ammo

Boolit Master

MagTech Ammo

Yesterday afternoon an older gentleman was trying out his new carry pistol, a domestically produced compact SS 1911. He needed help clearing a FTE jamb. We were short handed, I was running my butt off with the usual inexperienced late afternoon crowd, so I cleared it quickly and went back to babysitting. A minute later it had jammed again.
    Cleared it again and thinking maybe a limp-wrist was the cause, I tried to function test it, getting the same results.
    He had a couple new boxes of 9 mm nickel plated, steel case MagTech 115 gr RN. Swapped mags, same problem. Oiled the slide, even though it didn’t seem dry, same problem.
    Tried five of my own light load target rounds and his pistol ran like a champ.
    Even at $11.99 a box MagTech 9mm isn’t much of a bargain.

Boolit Master
    We had cases of mag tech in 45 Gap and nothing but issues. Not a fan of the product.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

Their Cowboy loads in big bores was underwhelming also.......
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Hmmmm...the commercial indoor range right up the road doesn't allow handloads or lead boolits and about 3/4 of their ammo for sale is MagTech. (Less than a mile from where I'm sitting and, due to their poor range and safety management, and I only shoot there once every five years to requalify for my CCL.)

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Bub
    I don't shoot much factory ammo these days, but when I used to, I shot some magtech ammo in revolvers. I don't recall any problems with it. There wasn't enough savings to justify it in 9mm or 40 over say, winchester whitebox or the other affordable target ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't it grand that the magtec conglomeration just bought S&B, who in turn bought the ATK ammunition brands. I hope all factory ammo doesn't wind up being junk for the sake of all the shooters who are not reloaders.

Boolit Master
    I have some older MagTech in 45acp (230gr ball) in brass cases that I've been super happy with. Got a steal on it back in 2012 at the Wanenmacher show for like $150 for a case. Haven't had a single issue with feeding, firing, or reliability cycling. Granted that stuff is 10yrs old at this point, and the new stuff may not be quite as nice. But I personally haven't had a problem with it.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Our issues where random power factors. Mostly stovepipes and mild to wild loads. Using a pistol vise it was minute of pie plate. No feeding issues and most went bang just not a consistent bang. Perhaps it was only the 45 gap ammo.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    Their Cowboy loads in big bores was underwhelming also.......
    I had some of those in .45 Colt. Functioned just fine in a rifle, but at 80 yards, the bullets were moving so slowly that I could actually SEE them just before they hit.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    My only contact with MagTech was when I bought the conversion cylinder for my 1858 Remington. Paperwork said to use "Cowboy" loads only. The only thing available at the time (2007) that fit the bill was MagTech. Did ok in the 1858, but I wasn't impressed with it enough to buy any other caliber. I will say that it is handy that they published the velocity on the box: makes my life easier duplicating the results with hand loads.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy
    Magtech=CBC/Taurus.
    CBC... Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos.