Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Everyone already for spring to get out and about and also do some shooting?

Everyone already for spring to get out and about and also do some shooting?

I'ma glade spring is finally here and get some fresh air, instead of being copped up inside.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, we've been dealing with some family things through the winter and it's good to be able to get outside for a change. Although it would be nice if we had slightly fewer rainy days. I'm trying to build a Blessing Box for our church between raindrops.

Sure am. The turkeys have been gobbling for a month now(season opener 5/1). Now if it would only stop raining.

Boolit Master
    Here in north Alabama and middle Tennessee, Spring is more of a concept than an actual event. We have 3 days of cool weather then Summer hits and sticks around until the 2nd week of November. For that reason, I'm always filled with dread when I see Winter coming to a close. I know it means 6 months of sweating like a mule anytime I go outside.

Boolit Master
    The heck with investing in technology invest in your local stone quarry. Very little frost got the wheels moving to fast this year and everything is washed out. Yes nice weather as far as temps are here but we can not take any more rain. The lake is overflowing at the dam. Its hard to make a living working outside when it rains everyday. I have four sliding glass doors in my living room so I open them and shoot out the door very often when weather is crappy. I am running out of ammo.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Glad to get outside, but sorry that I did. Last Saturday SWMBO decided I needed to mow the yard. It also happened that certain trees, shrubs, whatever were pollenating at that time. By the time I finished mowing the effects of that pollen had me. My sinus system closed down, I developed a mild temperature, throat felt like it had been attacked by coarse sandpaper, appetite disappeared, developed a coarse cough, overall a total wreck. It took me the better part of a week to recover from this mess. Our daughter and SIL live 2 streets away from our home. He mowed the same day I did, got the same treatment I got and is just now getting over it. RATS! Wake me up when this is over.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    Here in north Alabama and middle Tennessee, Spring is more of a concept than an actual event. We have 3 days of cool weather then Summer hits and sticks around until the 2nd week of November. For that reason, I'm always filled with dread when I see Winter coming to a close. I know it means 6 months of sweating like a mule anytime I go outside.
    Right!
    “Ready for spring?”
    I’m ready for November. Gotta survive the next 195 days. Then I can probably stop carrying a sweat rag for the remainder of the year. Got ticks on me two days in a row. February 29th and March 1st. Remembered sweat-bees last week. Bent my arm and one stung me in the crease of my elbow. Starting mowing about six weeks ago. My 200 yard range needs to be cut this weekend. 25 percent of my daylight this weekend will be wasted sitting on the mower...

Boolit Master
    Had to get out of the Lead Den, for awhile.Been fishing and catching Trout.Have cut grass once already.

Boolit Buddy

Had to mow my shooting range yesterday, mowing along my line fence at the end of my north pasture got my zero turn stuck had to walk back to the house and get a chain and come-a-long to pull it out of the mud. Walking a half mile sure has got a lot harder than it used to be. Just thankful still able to get out and work.

Boolit Master
    You have to wait for spring to get out & do some shooting?

I know folks in places that keep a lot of cold & snow & they never let that stop them. In fact,, I know one older gent,, who, while wearing gloves,, throws up gallon jugs of colored water, and shoots them out of the air with his handguns. He's posted several pictures of it,, and with the deep snow as a background,, it makes for some neat pictures.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    snip
    Walking a half mile sure has got a lot harder than it used to be. Just thankful still able to get out and work.
    It seems that half a mile has gotten much longer in the past few years.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

The mourning doves have started singing at 5:00 a.m.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    We shoot year round. Monthly muzzle loader shoots, and in the winter, we have sporting and military rifle matches. We cancel the sporting and military matches if it gets below 20 degrees. For muzzle loaders, we shoot as cold as we can stand it. For me, that ain't too cold nowadays!

I've been gearing up for fishing, new rods and reels, and making some lures.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Love the weather here in NW Arkansas except for a couple of weeks in the winter when it has ended to drop to below zero and the usual couple of really hot days in the summer. Way better than the central MS weather of hot and hotter with a couple of days of spring and fall. Been dry this spring, but wind is my issue as it can be 20 to 30mph for a week. Calmed down yesterday and I fired off a couple of magazines of my 9mm ammo out of my relatively new Kimber KDS9c. Just like the feel of that one.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Couple weeks ago headed to the Hickory groundhog and egg shoot. Practiced a little after deer season. It's been about 18 years since I'd been. Have a young fella (58) that has been getting accuracy reloading lessons and wanted to see if he'd learned enough. Typical spring weather in the foothills, variable winds and the temp is just right for the mirage to mess with your sight picture. 3/4" and 1.5" bullseyes and worse edge scoring. 3 shots at 100, 3 at 300 and 3 at 500 yards and then 1 shot at the egg at 500 yards. No sighters or wind flags. Shoot whatever you can bring to the line in 1 trip as long as it's smaller than 50 cal. The young fella got to the 500 yard stage and the relay ahead of him had got blown out by a long sustained gust. You get 2 minutes to shoot your 3 shots at each distance. He said he was unsure if he could get a shot on target. I told him you never know, you might miss and hit the middle. Dang if he didn't hit the bigger bullseye in the center with one shot. Another didn't hit the groundhog and another didn't hit the target at all. We hadn't even got in the truck to head home and he was talking about coming back next year. Sure was a good time.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Couple weeks ago headed to the Hickory groundhog and egg shoot. Practiced a little after deer season. It's been about 18 years since I'd been. Have a young fella (58) that has been getting accuracy reloading lessons and wanted to see if he'd learned enough. Typical spring weather in the foothills, variable winds and the temp is just right for the mirage to mess with your sight picture. 3/4" and 1.5" bullseyes and worse edge scoring. 3 shots at 100, 3 at 300 and 3 at 500 yards and then 1 shot at the egg at 500 yards. No sighters or wind flags. Shoot whatever you can bring to the line in 1 trip as long as it's smaller than 50 cal. The young fella got to the 500 yard stage and the relay ahead of him had got blown out by a long sustained gust. You get 2 minutes to shoot your 3 shots at each distance. He said he was unsure if he could get a shot on target. I told him you never know, you might miss and hit the middle. Dang if he didn't hit the bigger bullseye in the center with one shot. Another didn't hit the groundhog and another didn't hit the target at all. We hadn't even got in the truck to head home and he was talking about coming back next year. Sure was a good time.
    Great story!
    Where does this take place?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    Great story!
    Where does this take place?
    Thanks
    Just southwest of Hickory, NC at Vale. Hosting business is Bullseye Sports. Larry Willis started it and is shot on some family land. The land is so hilly that you can't grow crops on it so it's mostly cattle and hay with some planting on the ridges and creek bottoms. The wind is crazy. The same wind that blows you right at 100 will blow you left at 300. There's a hill on the right just across the creek that 50-75' high and angles to just behind the range at 500. Most everybody shhots from the ground except the older folks who can't get up or down. You see 600-1000 yard benchrest rifles and F class rifles. A few varmint rigs, like me, since I hunt the bean fields around the eastern sandhills. Lots of folks laughing and having a good time. Some world champions and record holders at different disciplines. It's the first Saturday in April. Used to be that Precision Shooting Magazine sponsored the biggest part of it. If you read about some accuracy setup, it will most likely be there and the owner is right proud to give you the low down and let you handle it and look through it. Got to look through a couple Arken EP5's with the christmas tree reticles in MOA and Mildot. Got to look at the F-class bipods that have replaced Harris style.

Boolit Master

I have a few shooting projects going and the warmer weather sure makes it more pleasant !

Just one of them projects will be to sight in my 1859 Sharps that I put sights I can see on!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    You have to wait for spring to get out & do some shooting?

I know folks in places that keep a lot of cold & snow & they never let that stop them. In fact,, I know one older gent,, who, while wearing gloves,, throws up gallon jugs of colored water, and shoots them out of the air with his handguns. He's posted several pictures of it,, and with the deep snow as a background,, it makes for some neat pictures.
    It's a little chilly when it's 0 or below zero. So, I enjoy the spring time.