Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Another success with home grown gas checks

Boolit Master

Another success with home grown gas checks

Now for starters, I know that Win Mod 94 30-30's are not suppose to shoot this well. This is my second target after a sight adjustment. The first group was almost as good, but it was about 6 inches high. I made the adjustment, let the rifle cool while I was shooting my Mod 92, and then I shot the following group at 75 yds. Each square is 1 sq inch, as you can tell from my thumb in the bottom of the pic.

Here is all of the Load data:
    30 grs of IMR 4064
    Win LR Primer
    Lee C309-150-RF, with a 50/50 pure lead/WW alloy
    Dropped at .311, sized to .310
    Gas check made from 16 thousandths aluminum bud light bottle
    2 coats of JPW for lube

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Super Moderator

.................VERY good! People get all dewey eyed with a 1" group at 100 yards from their bolt action and jacketed bullets. I understand that your target WAS shot at 75 yards. But it was also a lever action, and it was also cast lead. Darn good stuff in my book.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Just curious about thickness of the aluminum bottle, 16 thousandths you say?

How thick is the aluminum for aluminum cans?

I don't have one handy to cut open and measure myself.

Just wondering if the type of can...err... bottle makes a difference.

Thanks!

Good shooting, BTW!

Yup! That is exactly as Buckshot says!

And I'll add that what you accomplished is one of the reasons why I hang out here, I want to learn what all it takes so I can do that, too.

Thanks for sharing!

rl461
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Joe.Congrats on the group and the work with your gas checks.
    ps need more vegemite?
    Lionel

Good work Joe. Tried the 12 thou I sent yet??
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    I've yet to figure why people say a mod. 94 wont shoot well ? That's a good group and I'm sure it isn't just a fluke or (braggin) group . Mine will do about the same if I can keep my end of the bargain up . Good shootin' James

Boolit Master

...so those are the bottles that are thicker than a regular pop or beer can, like automotive chemicals (and I see Mountain Dew now) are sold in?

Doug

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    ...so those are the bottles that are thicker than a regular pop or beer can, like automotive chemicals (and I see Mountain Dew now) are sold in?

Doug
    Those bottles are 16 thousandths thick, where a regular aluminum can can be anywhere from 4.5 to 5.5 thousandths thick. It makes a big difference. That same gun and load but using 12 thousandths thick material for a gas check will shoot 5 inch groups at that distance. I have been looking for a Mountain Dew in an aluminum bottle just so I can see if the bottle is different. I will drink a Dew, but I have to rely on friends for Bud Light bottles. If they ever start putting Sam Adams in aluminum bottles I will have it made.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy

Are the bud light bottles the same as the aluminum bud light cans? I do not drink any kind of beer or alcohol, so I am relying on my son's friends and such for supply and info.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Thanks for another update Joe, I must have a very forgiving rifle as I have used several different thickness chex's ranging from 2 ply of soda can(.009) through .016 flashing matl. and cant really tell the difference in practical accuracy between them and that is shooting 200 yd. I seem to have very similar scores in slow prone(190-195 with 6-8X on the SR2) no matter what the chex's made off ? It could be the load as mine are only in the mid to high 1600 fps range as thats all I need to get it out to 200 ?

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OeldeWolf View Post
    Are the bud light bottles the same as the aluminum bud light cans? I do not drink any kind of beer or alcohol, so I am relying on my son's friends and such for supply and info.
    The aluminum cans are not the same as the bottles. The bottles are over 3x the thickness of the cans. With that being said, my 30-06 is very forgiving as long as I don't push them over 1700 fps. It has a 1 in 9 twist and once you start pushing them faster than that the boolits start slinging every where. I guess the RPM is too much for them. I need to try those 150 gr cast out of my Mod 99, 300 Sav. It ought to shoot them well with the 1 in 12 twist.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA