Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Load for Steyr M-95 8x56R

Boolit Mold

Need Load for Steyr M-95 8x56R

I have 3 M-95s with cracked stocks on order from Century. I have read that generally the cracked stocks are often easily repairable. I do expect to get at least 1 shooter, which brings me to my question. I am ordering brass from Grafs and will be using Lees 205 gr mould for the 8x56R. Would 10-12 grains of Unique be a good safe starting point? Or what other loads would you suggest. I am also going to need a few of the mannlicher type "clips". Would any one know a good place to get some?
    Thanks Mike

Boolit Master
    What are you sizing boolits to for that?

In Remebrance

You'll have to hunt the gun auction sites and ebay for the clips, or buy surplus ammo to get them. I suggest you try the Lee boolit as cast, no sizing, and hand or tumble lube them. The GC you can usually snap on or push on enough to work. Try 13.0 Red Dot or 16.0 2400 to start.

I say use an unsized boolit because the Lee boolit need's to be .332+ and mine throws about .330. You migt gain a little by Beagling. What ever you do don't size them any smaller or you'll find out what frustration can really be.

Beekeeper
    Try old western scrounger for the clips.
    The price has gone up a whole bunch but I think they still have them.
    A year ago when they were plentitful I paid $2.50 each for them now I think they are about $10.00

Boolit Mold
    Century cracked stock rifles can be anything from very minor cosmetic problems to major wood missing. Fortunately, it's much more common to have the minor issues than major ones.

Even the ones with chunks of wood missing I got (mostly mosins) still made good shooters so you should have 3 rifles to experiment with.

WWII Austrian 8x56R ammo is great for getting clips if you can find any - it's packaged in 10 rnd boxes w/2 clips. Century Arms had some a couple of months ago but I checked this morning and it's no longer listed.

I've got a starter batch of the LEE .329 bullets cast to try in a pair of M-95's but I need to order the GC's and some brass to load them up.

Boolit Mold

8X56R Load

I just loaded 10 rounds with the LEE .329 GC bullets and 19.5 grains of AA1680 (3.1cc with LEE dipper). They fed through the Steyr wonderfully.
    I shot them last Friday @ 50yds. For 5 shots, 3 shots were in 2", spread 6". 5 more shots, 4 shots were in 2", spread 3.5". Primers were still rounded, flattened slightly near crater. Cases had small amount of soot on outside. Recoil was about 35 Rem level so I would estimate pressure at about 30,000 to 35,000 CUP. There was no delayed ignition or other undesirable effects. I did tip them up before loading so the powder was against the primer but then fed them in horizontal and shot. The loading density for these loads was about 30% so I would not buy AA1680 to use in the 8X56R, but it works OK. I will continue to use these as a moderate plinking load. For deer hunting , maybe I will try to increase in 0.5 grain increments until primers are significantly flattened or my shoulder tells me to stop, whichever comes first.
    I estimated this load based on an equivalency between weights of AA1680 and IMR4198 which I noticed from other cartridges. The LEE dies include loading data for IMR4198. So I used those values then reduced another 20% just to be sure.

Boolit Buddy

10 Gr Unique works well in mine. The data that came with my Lee dies was the same as 8mm Mauser data. I believe you could use 8 mm Mauser cast bullet data so long as you start low and work up.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dbldblu View Post
    10 Gr Unique works well in mine. The data that came with my Lee dies was the same as 8mm Mauser data. I believe you could use 8 mm Mauser cast bullet data so long as you start low and work up.
    What kind of pressure and velocity do you think you are getting? What weight bullet and type are you using with what kind of accuracy? Are these low speed plinking loads? How do the primers look? I have some blue dot and AA#5. I might try some loads with these. If blue dot is bulkier it may have better loading density in the 8X56R.

Boolit Buddy

I use the Lee mould with some soft alloy that I have a lot of. The last time I shot it(95/34), the best performing load was 10 gr of Herco. This put 4 rounds into .7 inch at 40 yards with a 5th round flier. This is a very mild load. I would expect Unigue to perform about the same. If you look at the Lyman cast bullet book, they have data for a 214 gr bullet in 8 mm Mauser. I know this is not the same cartridge, but as I say the Lee data that came with my 8x56 dies was identical to 8 mm Mauser data. Therefore, with caution, I use 8 mm Mauser cast data as well. The Lyman book shows a starting load of 13 gr Unique yielding 1385 fps and a max load of 16 gr Unique giving 1580 fps. So, 10 gr of Unique would be quite mild, yes? I will gradually work up, but accuracy will probably go away long before 16 grains with my soft alloy. I don't like to use data for one cartridge in another but I know of no published 8x56 cast data. I do not worry about loading less than the "starting load" as long as I am using a fast powder such as Unique in this cartridge. The worst thing that will happen is you will get a bullet stuck in the barrel if you go too low. Ed Harris wrote about using as little as 5 grains of various pistol powders with cast bullets in rifles. If you Google his name, you can probably find his articles. In Phil Sharpes old reloading book, he listed lots of gallery load data as well.

Mike,
    I reloaded for my Steyr carbine the other day with loads using the Lee cast projectile, Lee Alox and a 32 gas check.

The often quoted 17.5gn of 2400 was a dissapointment, with quite a lot of blowback of gas due to the case not sealing the chamber. Accuracy was very poor and I'd not waste my time. I forgot to chrono them.

Using 13gn Red Dot, the results were great. Accuracy at 50yds was about 2"-3" off hand and my chronograph recorded an average of 1297fps. The recoil was very mild and POI was almost spot on with the issue sights. A great load for plinking!

Kirby.

Boolit Master

KirbyAUS, try a heavier charge of 2400, if you are going to use it. I had the same experience, with hang-fires and other problems.

CDD

Boolit Bub
    I finally loaded some cast bullets for the 8x56 and I thought I could add the results to mix. May be useful and maybe I could get some feedback also.

All of my M95 carbines have slugged at .332 or more, so I got the Lee 338 220 gr mould. I have been getting some reasonably hard alloy from someone I know (actual hardness is unknown, but pretty hard) so I cast some samples with that lead and ended up with about 30 good ones.

I do not have a sizer in the .338 range yet so I used these tumble-lubed in LLA with no gas checks. I loaded 15 with 9 grains of IMR Trail Boss and 15 more with 10 gr. of T.B. All used CCI 200 primers.

The results were not too shabby considering the low time investment. The pic is a 15 shot group at 50 yards with the 10 gr load which was slightly better than 9 gr. Not sure about the two flyers. Could be me or the equipment, but it was getting dark and I was having trouble with the sight picture. I recovered 3 of the bullets from the backstop and they still had a crisp edge on the base, despite the lack of a gas check.

I did find out today that I had made an error when working out the COL and I seated the bullets way too far in. I have corrected that and perhaps the next batch will not have the flyers, and possibly group a little better. I am still happy with the results. It was a cheap and easy load with very light recoil. Well... cheap except for the Privi brass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steyr_cast_1.jpg  

My standard load for the m95steyr uses the Lee .338"/220gr boolit sized to .334". Powder is IMR4350/38gr with COW fill to the top of the case and compressed by the boolit. Very accurate at about 1840fps. I am going to buy one of the Oldfeller repro molds from BaBore as soon as I can afford it....
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sure glad I read thisthread. My father in law passed away last month and he had a Steyr M95 carbine that I'm supposed to get. I had no idea it was meant for such large bullets.

I won't get it until next summer when some relatives come to visit so I've got plenty of time to round up some of the clips, brass, etc.

MLV

In Remebrance

Mike, NEI makes a bee-u-timuss 8X56R design, the 330-245. Drops around .333 for me and weighs in around 255 gr. With 13.0 Red Dot it makes a fantastic plinker,tractor gun load. With more speed it'd do for game. I lucked into mine, but I'm sure Walt cut it. These days NEI is iffy, but it might be worth a shot.

Boolit Bub
    Mike,

The M95s can be a little odd as they "should" have a groove diameter of .329 but they rarely do. That fact, coupled with a very generous neck and throat means that some of these rifles work better with what seems to be an grossly oversize projectile. It's like working with SMLEs. You just never know what the barrel will be unless you actually measure it.

I'd be glad to come out and help test 8x56 loads on those steel plates you've got. Should only take a thousand rounds or so, right?

HONCHO EMERITUS

Bruce at BRP Custom Molds just cataloged a design cut specifically for the 8x56R chambered M95 Steyrs. He's listed in the Vendor Sponsor section of this forum.

I have several of his molds and can tell you he does fantastic work.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for the tips. I'll ask for more details when I have the carbine in hand.

MLV

Boolit Master
    Once again I have to ask, why did Lee even make the 8x56R mold? I use a lot of Lee stuff, most of it does the job. But I have a bunch of molds that really make me wonder if they've ever fired a shot. I'll check out these other brands for my M95. Do you suppose there's a reason so many of their molds are undersize? I've never got one that went 'over', that's for sure. I'm speaking of their off the shelf molds, not small run customs, which I've found to be good molds.

Boolit Grand Master

Bruce is calling it the Oldfeller Frankenstein boolet mold. It should be on the site now, if not, as soon as the update is finished. I haven't cast out of mine yet, but it is a beautiful mold.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast