Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 22 Revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin View Post
    Bullshop, Rodfac, bet you love your's too huh? And we all have some battle scars, bluing worn, etc. Those are marks of distinction! AK, you're about dead on, velocity with the 40 gr PMC .22 WMR is 1310 in my 6.5"er, 1227 in a 4 5/8", just over 1,000 in a 3.5" High Standard WMR Derringer..... FWIW, Dennis (BTW, Keep your eyes peeled, $200-250 S6's are still out there, just be patient and willing to accept a less than pristine finish. It'll still shoot fine if not abused IMO!)
    Mine has battle scars that I put on it! I have only had it about a month, and it has replacement grips (The old ones cracked, and when I tried to take them off, the screw was rusted in and broke ), and it got knocked out of my holster once, and got a nice scatch on the concrete floor. After that I made a new holster, and the gun fits all the way down in, so only the back part on the trigger guard is out, and the rear sight blade. The old one had all the trigger guard out.

Boolit Master
    My cousin bought a new Taurus model 94 and would not consistently fire all six. Send it back to Taurus on his dime and after about six weeks it was sent back with a list of things they supposedly fixed but it still had the same problem. He sold it to someone with full disclosure as to the problem for $100.

OTOH, my S&W model 17 I bought in 1955 still works just fine. Buy quality.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I agree with the others - you can't go wrong with the Ruger single-six. .
    I will disagree about that I bought one in about 73 that was wonderful gun I wish I would have never got rid of it but I sold it to buy a 357 which I needed at the time. Only one gun shop in the area and he did not have any so I settled for a Smith Model Ten 38 Special. Years later I decided to buy an other Single Six and bought a like new used Stainless Steel Model complete with the box and papers ect. Now I know why it was used you could not keep a group on paper it looked more like a shotgun buckshot pattern. I traded it off too since I had bought it in early winter and did not shoot it until spring so I had it too long to take it back for a refund. I was sorely disappointed in this gun. One of several Rugers that were not the best in my owning Rugers. Which is why I take some of of a dim view on them now.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master
    My favorite .22 is a Ruger Mark II, blued, 6 7/8"s bull barrel. I have had 3 of them and now that they have gone to a Mark III, I wish I had the other two back. I also have a single-six, which I think is the best gun out there for new shooters, but I have never been as accurate with it as with the Mark II. I have seen the ruger 22/45's for as low as $ 180.00 new, if I was looking for a 200.00 .22 pistol that would definately be my choice. A good .22 revolver is just not easy to find or afford, especially double action. I wish someone would come out with a copy of a Smith 17 or 18 at a decent price, but I doubt they ever will. If they did it probably would not be worth much.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Let Ruger FIX IT!

Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    Years later I decided to buy an other Single Six and bought a like new used Stainless Steel Model complete with the box and papers ect. Now I know why it was used you could not keep a group on paper it looked more like a shotgun buckshot pattern. I traded it off too since I had bought it in early winter and did not shoot it until spring so I had it too long to take it back for a refund. I was sorely disappointed in this gun. One of several Rugers that were not the best in my owning Rugers. Which is why I take some of of a dim view on them now.
    Ruger's customer service is among the best you'll find and never expires. You should have let them make your gun right or sent you another one. They can't fix what they don't know about.....IMO, Dennis

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin View Post
    Ruger's customer service is among the best you'll find and never expires. You should have let them make your gun right or sent you another one. They can't fix what they don't know about.....IMO, Dennis
    Their customer service isn't flawless, I know that for sure. Better than one of the other brands mentioned in this thread? Oh, yes. But they still can screw them up at the repair center. Maybe it was Trainee day when I sent that one in...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    That Heritage Rough Rider seems to fit the bill but I would like and adjustable sight, which they do have but cost a bit more. Anyone have one of those little revolvers?

I know you posted you wanted adjustable sights but I have a RR with the fixed sights and it shoots fine for me. I did have to bend the front sight very slightly as it was shooting to the left a little. I do have a Ruger Single Six also but wanted a .22 revolver to do most of my utility work so to speak and the RR does this just fine.

Boolit Master

I have read enough threads here about folks complaining about Ruger's Customer service that I am glad I did not send it back and traded it off. Furthermore I wonder anyone know about sending back a used gun since you did not buy it new? Some companies will not honor that if you did not buy it new.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Many years ago (early 70's) I purchased a "Bulldog" target revolver, either by H&R or Iver Johnson.....I don't remember which. The cost was a staggering $39.00 or so, and it showed. Right out of the box it failed to index AND actually "skipped" a chamber occasionally. A real mass produced piece of junk, which was astonishing from an American maker. I left it with my ex-wife when I moved on. She deserved it.

Frankly, a good Ruger or S&W would be an excellent choice. Also, the H&R "999" top breaks were very nice little guns. Most of the old Hi Standard autos are now collectors items, but were well made.

Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    I have read enough threads here about folks complaining about Ruger's Customer service that I am glad I did not send it back and traded it off. Furthermore I wonder anyone know about sending back a used gun since you did not buy it new? Some companies will not honor that if you did not buy it new.
    Ruger repairs their guns no matter which owner you might be. Having said that, your solution to the problem is pretty common, and it's one reason I tend to shy away from "as new" guns in the box at regular gun shops. Pawn shops are probably safer since more often than not the previous owner just needed a few bucks. Unfortunately, some companies judge how serious a problem might be by the number of customer service returns they get.... My guess would be that fewer than one in 5 folks that have a problem with a new gun will have the faith, or patience to return it. That is sad because now the same gun can make many folks unhappy, and sour on that company's products.

Boolit Master

Well I learned my lesson with that gun I even questioned it when I bought it and they told me the guy who bought it buys guns all the time and then returns them for something else. I think I was getting conned on that story. Yea maybe sending it in would have been the answer but I was so disgusted with that gun and an other Ruger at the time a 44 blackhawk that I bought used in the same time period over the winter that I would have had to send both of them in and I was pretty disgusted at Ruger by then. As I have stated before you get a good Ruger it is a keeper something I now know having both good and bad ones. Problem is now I am too gun shy pun intended to buy another twice bit was enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Thinkin I would like to get a 22lr/22mag single action, for plinkin and rabbit hunting. Something with a 6.5" barrel or longer.....about $200 worth of revolver.
    I noticed this morning that a guy at the Ruger forum got a nice used 6.5" SS6 for $249. They ARE out there, just keep looking Dennis