RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodchuck Bait?

Boolit Master

Woodchuck Bait?

We've had a chuck or two around since the day we bought this place...almost 40 years ago...but lately, they're becoming a nuisance. Spent all afternoon cleaning up a mess in our detached garage after one got inside and couldn't get back out...will be stopping by lumberyard tomorrow for insulation and some cheap paneling to patch the holes in left in the interior walls.

Time was, I'd had just propped a .22 inside the patio door and trimmed the population whenever the opportunity popped up but can't do that anymore. We're still outside the city limits but too many houses built nearby and there's a big push by local law enforcement on 'gun crimes'...a half-dozen firecrackers will draw (at least?) two patrol cars within 10-15 minutes.

I saw MT Gianni recommended jelly rolls in another thread; may give those a try but, at the same time, I'm open to any feasible suggestion.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    They love clover or soybeans but not sure how to use either for bait in a trap since they usually eat them while still growing. I have a hog that has moved in my shop right under my 77 Trans Am and has raised a bunch of little ones. I can't really blame them because I planted our old garden spot right beside the shop in Whitetail Institutes Imperial clover to feed the does that are raising fawns near the house. With that much clover you KNOW you are going to draw in groundhogs. But they are pushing my limits filling the engine bay of my car with dirt (it doesn't have an engine installed at the moment). Not sure how long I'm going to take it before I get either the 22 Hornet or 218 Bee out. I'm assuming you have one of the live traps and are wanting to catch your guilty party to deposit elsewhere?

Moderator Emeritus

I always use fresh lettuce, they love the stuff, I catch them in the garden munching down on it...

To get around no guns one of these with a broadhead(amazon has them) will bury a bolt to the fletching in a bow target, and they go completely thru a rabbit... https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-g...MKIRrvvPMYvpZ8

Crossbow pistol broadhead bolts, just match the length included with the bow... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=crossbow+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Mine is good to 25+ yards so effective for yard use but they won't travel far outside the yard.

Boolit Master

My best luck has been with watermelon and cantaloupe - Sometimes a drop or two of vanilla extract on the melon draws them in
    Last edited by square butte; 05-21-2024 at 07:23 AM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    They love apples, just cut one in half or quarters, to spread the scent. Maybe leave a piece outside the trap to get the hog "primed" and wanting more.

Boolit Master
    like square butte ive found that a surefire way to attract them crop destroying ground hog/wood chuck is with using cantaloupe/musk melon rind.
    either that or try growing melons, squash or pumpkins and get them in the crosshairs in the wide open. those critters like to burrow in my out buildings where shooting at a fast moving critter scampering about could lead to getting stuff shot that shouldn't be shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any chance of a .22 CB. If you control the impact area, nobody will hear it. I do like the crossbow idea, though.

Boolit Master
    if you put some melon rind in one of those wire cage traps. have a hart traps or a knockoff look a like trap I guarantee that critter will go in there and get caught
    cooked briefly in a pressure cooker to tenderize the meat then roasted with some onion and garlic it tastes just liked the roasted beef they offer in the deli and sell sliced for $15/lb
    Last edited by farmbif; 05-21-2024 at 07:37 AM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I tried many things on woodchucks, but the best thing that worked for me was jelly rolls. I used to fight them ll the time on the farm - both in the fields and around the barns and outbuildings - they can sure do a lot of damage to a foundation in a short amount of time - especially an old barn foundation built out of fieldstone.

Moderator Emeritus

Get yourself an Air Venturi in 25 cal with a 3d printed "moderator". Neighbors won't hear a thing plus a lot of fun. That is a pcp air gun and would requiresome way to charge it. You could possibly use a different type and there are a lot of threads here on them.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I've caught them in live traps with tomatoes and corn cobs. Any vegetables. Should do. Live traps, air rifles, 22 shorts, and arrows I've used for dispatch.

What I use is a 160 body grip trap. Set it in the front of the hole, they will be dead , no sound or shooting. There is at times 2 in a hole if they been a long time or at times 3 , but with the young may be more . Just make sure you have no cats around because the trap will take them out or anything else that walks into the trap. I do not bait for woodchucks . Make sure the trap is solid , X stake between the jaws into the springs and wire it to something solid or stake pond in the ground. Set the trigger wires that way you have a space that they will go in the trap so their head will get caught behind the ears.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Jeeze...Go to the dollar store and get a Bag of Double Bubble...scatter some around where they hang out... don't bother to unwrap..
    Kinda Mean really...But..Eliminates the dirty buggers..At my Place anyway!!!

If you have smaller pests, the 22 LR Subsonics with a can on a single shot are the ticket. I bought this Rem 510 single shot with a dirt dobber ruined barrel, for $20 from a pawn shop. Cut the barrel then re-crowned it, at 16.25" threaded it 5/8x28, drilled and tapped it, put two 541 scope bases on it with a center fire scope, cleaned it up and made a pest popper out of it. It is a quiet deadly little problem solver. Out to 200 yards off a rest it will pop pine cones. Skunks, coons, armadildoes, turtles in my fish ponds, etc, no problemo.

Only thing people hear is the whack, from the bullet impact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C43C0EAF-FF17-4077-B320-F494CD0F7C43.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    First off,, you want to be legal. Check your local state laws about trapping or whatever.

I do this for a living. I own a business dealing with nuisance wildlife.

Many states,, require a permit to trap out of season,, even on your own property. Here in NC,, a permit is required,, BUT THE PERMIT IS FREE!!!!!!

The most common method of dealing with groundhogs I use is the same as mentioned by trapper9260. A 160 coinibear. Inexpensive, very effective,, and the bigger problem would be Terrier dogs vs cats. Cats,, don't like going into tunnels or holes potentially occupied by a groundhog. A terrier,, is bred to do just that.

But if cage trapping,, melon rinds are an excellent choice. A jelly roll can also catch unwanted critters.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    First off,, you want to be legal. Check your local state laws about trapping or whatever.

I do this for a living. I own a business dealing with nuisance wildlife.

Many states,, require a permit to trap out of season,, even on your own property. Here in NC,, a permit is required,, BUT THE PERMIT IS FREE!!!!!!

The most common method of dealing with groundhogs I use is the same as mentioned by trapper9260. A 160 coinibear. Inexpensive, very effective,, and the bigger problem would be Terrier dogs vs cats. Cats,, don't like going into tunnels or holes potentially occupied by a groundhog. A terrier,, is bred to do just that.

But if cage trapping,, melon rinds are an excellent choice. A jelly roll can also catch unwanted critters.
    Always like posts from guys who have a lot of experience. Thanks for sharing!
    Don Verna

OK...if you're just looking to get rid of them (shooting would be more fun)...I was told by an old farmer's wife that to get rid of woodchucks...go buy a large bag of bubble gum. Drop 5-6 wrapped pieces down each hole. Keep doing that every day until you don't find any wrappers being thrown back out of the hole. Bubble gum does clog up their works...and they die in the hole...no need for disposal.

[EDIT] ooops...just saw racepres said the same thing in a different way...haha

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

The most fun would be shooting them and the guns to use have already been mentioned.
    Another way is to use a smoke bomb. Find his burrow, it won't be hard.
    It will have two entrances, block one with a big heavy rock then light smoke bomb, toss down the other hole and place a piece of plywood on the hole and stand on it for a few minutes.
    You used to be able to buy the smoke bombs made to do this from the hardware store, they were called Revenge Smoke Bombs, I don't think they are made any more, but there is nothing special about them.
    Any old smoke bomb will work.
    I bought a supply off Ebay where you might still find them.
    Get rid of the chucks before they make a burrow next to the foundation of your house.
    Skunks love woodchuck burrows, and they will move in even if the chuck is still using it.
    At some point the chuck will raise the rent and the skunks will show their displeasure the way skunks do.
    Happened to us and my wife was not a happy camper. She spent a lot of money to a professional to deal with the critters.

Boolit Master
    Yes...Skunks will move in behind Woodchucks..Property disputes do develop.. In my experience... Skunks do Not like, nor live with Moth Balls..
    Yes plenty of Debate...But unless Skunks are Partaking of the Bubble Gum like the Chucks....the Mothballs are working for Skunk!!

as Said...Firearms are much more fun... but. Usually around Buildings...your Own Buildings, that you kinda like..it is difficult to get critters to cooperate by providing appropriate Backstops!!! Tho a Golf Cart ride with the 410 Contender works awesome for Ground Rodents...and the 20Ga will dispense muskrat, ground hog, red squirrel... it is Rare indeed to spot a Varmint presenting himself for a Clear centerfire or even 22rf opportunity!!! Does happen tho...Gotta be Flexible!!! If the population continues to rise...Rabbits will be Next!! Tho it is the season for Orphaned Cats... and Rabbits and Cats are Mortal Enemies!!

Boolit Grand Master

Soybeans in a live Hart trap. Gas them with your exhaust for a painless sleep then clean and cook.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum