RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Using Vihravuori N110 in bolt guns

Boolit Buddy

Using Vihravuori N110 in bolt guns

Could anyone share any personal experiences using Vihtavuori 110 in bolt guns shooting 170 - 220 grain bullets @ 1600 - 1730fps out of a bolt rifle? Possibly some of our brethren from Finland, Norway, Sweden might be on line,

I’m looking at alternatives to our Accurate 5744 (made in Canada) and Accurate 2400. Those two powders have shot to shot consistency with single digit SD’s shooting with loads of 18 - 20gr producing 1630 to 1670fps. I4227 has never shot as well for me as it has for others. I’m looking to shoot sub MOA’s

5744 is now over $500 a jug where as N110 is a little over $300. Thanks Bill C.

I've used N110 in .308, 7.5 x 55 (200 gr. Lee), 7.62x54 (185 Lee) and others. I had no issues except it does best in high pressure loads, probably due to the deterrent coating. Its outstanding in .44 magnum with heavy, 300 gr plus, bullets.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Buddy
    I’v heard mumbling that reference its likeness to 4759 and that ~19g shooting in the mid to upper 1670’s with 200 gr cast bullets. The 4759 and the A5744 are the only two powders that are hyped as cast bullet favorites by the manufacturer. I can speak to 5744 performance but I’ll buy the next lb of N110 that shows up locally to run some velocity test to see how it compares. VihtaVuori shows loading through and including the 444 Marlin. Bill C

I am using N120 in .300 BLK and .22 Hornet, so not the same, N110 is on pair with H110.

BUT you can get some starting point using this german web page, manufacturer od H&N plated bullets. See cal .30, they have different weight but 165grs max.

https://www.hn-sport.de/en/reloading/tc-308-165-gr-hs

Equivalent to 5744 is Lovex D060 also known and sold in USA as BUFFALO RIFLE. I have both, 5744 and D060. Virtually the same, same burning speed.

https://shootersworldpowder.com/buffalo-rifle/

I am using now D060 for reduced .308 cast loads, 1680fps with 220grs MP 311-235. Works great.

Lyman data for .308.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for that. Lovex D060 label reads that it is a DB extruded powder and on SW’s burn chart they and 5744 are side by side. And the price is not insane in today’s market. I wonder why that it doesn’t show up as a “go to” powder for cast shooters more often. I had never even thought about it as an option until you mentioned it.

I’v shot VihtaVuori powders for over 30 years and the right powder in the right case always performed well. I was hoping someone out there had actually shot N110 successfully or unsuccessfully as a medium case rifle powder. Thanks, Bill C.

Boolit Master
    I have shot cast loads in both AA 5744 and Shooters World Buffalo. The loads are nearly identical - the only difference that I've found at all is that sometimes there are a few unburned kernels of 5744 left in the barrel, where SW Buffalo seems to burn cleaner. All other performance parameters are the same. On several occasions I have shot 7.65x53 cast loads using 24.0 grains of SW Buffalo, with 215 grain Lyman #311284 boolits powder coated and sized to .3125". These have always (so far) printed 10 shot groups into one ragged hole at 50 yards. SW Buffalo is one of the most accurate cast bullet powders that I've found.

Other powders that I want to try are VV 110 in cast loads for 450 Bushmaster. I've also been experimenting with cast rifle loads with AA 4100 (which is the exact same powder as Enforcer), but haven't found the happy spot yet.

Boolit Buddy
    I have tried n-110 in 30-30 win and 357 rifle loads. Worked ok but others were always better. Perhaps pushing a little more velocity would have been more accurate. Worth a try.

Boolit Buddy
    You know, I’m starting to think that I’m chasing powder selection for a 200g in 308 Win down a rabbit hole that I don’t need to crawl through. If I can’t find MOA with 2400, I4227, 5447, SW Buffalo, H4198, N130 or Rel 7 it wouldn’t show much for my loading and shooting skills. Crawling off on the outer fringes of the burn rate be it fast or slow doesn’t sound very smart to me. Thanks to everyone for all of your help. I suffer from tunnel vision once in a while. Bill C