Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: WAA12R #2- Lyman Slug loads

Boolit Buddy

WAA12R #2- Lyman Slug loads

My original thread got deleted because I let myself get off track from my original question which was "Did Winchester discontinue the WAA12R?" (The answer to that question is "Yes.") I created a new thread in S&S for those interested in selling and/or swapping WAA12R OEM wads.

For anyone interested in my load data from the original thread, here you go:

My Lyman slug load is 35.0gr. Longshot with an X12X, 1/8" NC, Winchester WAA12R with a 16 ga .070" card in the base and the cup (for height). This is in a 3" Cheddite hull with a W209 primer finished with an 8 pt crimp. Slug base is filled with hot melt wood glue (the softer stuff works too). I overfill and press them down on a tray covered in nonstick foil. After they cool, I peel the ring from around the base and then cook them nose down for 10 minutes in my PC oven at 380. Fills them with just a slight dimple in the center. This has stopped me from having the occasional plug drop out causing flyers. I use RMR core lead (10-12Bhn) and they are about 540gr empty and 551gr RTL. I also tried making the plugs loose and coating them in mica to try to ensure they dropped out. It seemed to work OK as well but once in a great while I'd still get a flyer.

I'm getting 1384fps with a kick that will get your attention so no interest in going higher. (And that's in a 10lb Savage 24F .30-30/12 gauge.) It's been very consistent for me and I'm getting under 2" C-C at 50yds so not terrible (although if it was rifle load I'd keep looking). I know expecting rifle performance from a slug is asking a lot- but its still fun to try! I also know that every shotgun is its own animal so if I decide to do slugs for my other shotguns, I may be starting from scratch. I started down this path to have a follow-up shot for the bottom barrel of the 24F. My buddies and I agree it's time that gun took a deer.

I load 14 rifle calibers and 7 handgun (plus 12, 20, and .410 shotgun) so factory ammo is not an option for me. I've got to do it myself! LOL

Anyways, there it is. I'm working on a 20 gauge H&R Pardner Tracker II as well. Getting close with that one but not there yet. I'll share when I find The Load for it.

Take care!

John

See https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=2

(FWIW, Claybuster still sells the WAA12R equivalent)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    See https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=2

(FWIW, Claybuster still sells the WAA12R equivalent)
    Claybuster will likely never stop making that wad... It's just way too popular. I don't think I've ever NOT HAD a bag of WAA12Rs sitting on my bench...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    I know you said the Claybuster clones weren’t as good as the Winchester wads. Have you tried the Down Range clone wad?