Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Rifle primers in 357 mag

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Just a thought -- your load may have nothing to do with your challenge -- it, hey, MIGHT be a loose primer pocket?
    geo
    That is absolutely a Likely Scenario... Why no one else thought of that??? In General, I have certainly had Hard Extraction, (usually, but not always, over pressure), without other cylinder difficulties!! And, if normal extraction after the cylinder is open.... we have a Bingo!!! IMO

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Except Remington 6-1/2's...they are fragile cups truly..I'm warnin ya!!!Stay at lower Pressures with them...like Remington Advises!!!
    5 1/2s, which are SPP, are hard as freakin diamonds.

Boolit Buddy
    Another thought - if you've used once fired brass that was made for Hornady FTX bullet - it is shorter than normal, so pressure will be higher.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    5 1/2s, which are SPP, are hard as freakin diamonds.
    Huh...I have used thousands of 5-1/2's..No ignition problems and No Pierced Primers..Since I do Not use Primer appearance as a Pressure indicator..I have No opinion on toughness of the Cup of a 5-1/2... but the 221 Fireball has never had on pierce...Unlike the 6-1/2 cup which is fairly easily Pierced/Ruptured..
    Curious what prompted the statement that 5-1/2's are Hard Cups??

Boolit Buddy
    Would this idea work to clear a jammed cylinder from a loose primer pocket? Put an appropriate sized rod down the barrel till it hits the bottom of the case then give it some taps with a hammer? Unless the blown primer is mushroomed it seems like it would reseat easily.

Boolit Mold
    I use sr primers in anything that calls for a sp. Makes stocking up much easier.

Boolit Master

Don't go off label. Good advice from many above. That being said, CCI says their small pistol magnum and their std. small rifle primer are the same primer.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    May not have anything to do with this revolver locking up but I had a 38 Special that would lock up at random quite often. Finally figured out it was the shape of the firing pin. Rather than having a nice round nose that would retract from the fired primer easily, it had a square and even somewhat mushroomed shape that would grip the primer dent and hang on. Result was a locked cylinder. And of course, you can't see the firing pin with cylinder installed and brass present, so it took some time to figure out. Fix was to take firing pin out and spin it in a Dremel tool and reshape the nose with an emery board.