Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: two dogs and a dead cat on trail camera

Boolit Master
    Strays.
    A problem in many rural areas. Both cats & dogs.

If feral,, sadly,, they can be a problem.

I spend a lot of time in the woods,, and I've seen cats & dogs. Most cats get a pass,, because I do not know if they are just someone's wandering pet. I'd feel real bad if a child has a beloved pet that just doing what comes naturally, wandering around exploring,, and I were to kill it. Dogs or cats.
    Dogs,, I also try to judge their behavior.
    I've had people bring dogs from out of state,, and release them to run deer in our woods. (Illegal too!) That happens,, the dogs get killed. By the same token,, many years ago,, I had a dog come to my deer stand, and lay down. She was lost. She found me. She had a collar, and I was easily able to get her to come with me to my truck. I called the owner, and the lady was not only overjoyed, she was surprised. That dog was a rescue,, and didn't take to too many men. She had wandered away from the owner's boyfriend as he was hiking in our area. That dog was a perfect little lady in my home, around my pets, and was very loved by her owner.

Dogs I see chasing deer,, get shot.

And I have enough coyotes around to where any cats that wander & stay around,, are allowed to live. I haven't had any issues with excessive loss of any other wildlife. Heck, I have video of a bobcat inside my barn chasing a rat.

Remove one type of predator, and a different predator will take it's place.

As for the picture provided by the OP,, those two dogs would be killed if on my place. Obviously doing no good.

I have rescued many animals over the years on my property. I've also had to kill several as well. It all depends upon the attitude and actions of the animal.

Boolit Master

Well today those two dogs ran into my property about 120 yards in front of me in my blind they were out of sight in a flash and I made two short barks. The dogs came right to my blind wagging their tails and friendly while I was pointing my 30-06 at them . I asked them what they were doing running around they kept wagging their tails and I told them to go home and they went back the way they came in passing by 20-30 turkeys not bothering one of the turkeys. There was a third dog with them a white standard poodle mix I thought was my neighbors so I took the picture and talked to her (1/4 mile north of me) . Her dog was in and all trimmed not the same dog but she knew who owned all three and has talked to the owner of the two dogs pictured they let them run all day long they come home at night (so far) . She also said another neighbor talked to the owners and told them next time they are there they are not coming home .
    At night I have several traps out for pests including two coyote size traps (leg hold) I cover them during the day because of my own dog .
    P.S. the local vet I use used to be very good at seeing a dog in an emergency they have gotten so big they tell people to go to vet clinic 80 miles away now! I called early to get medication that is no longer imported and rabies shot for my dog two months for a appointment!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Here in the old folks village the dog walkers were throwing dog cookies to the coyotes to make them stop following. Didn't work, now we have tame coyotes. The yotes live in backyards eating dog food drinking on the birdbaths, sleeping on the lawnchairs, sleek well fed yotes. I took an unofficial poll, and found the majority of geezers, especially the shut-ins enjoy the zoo passing by, the caregivers keep the birdfeeders full, that keeps the rats, hawks, owls, snakes, chukwallas, gila monsters, and bobcats happy, every now and then a puma wanders through after quail eating the cracked corn. That's just what we need, a mountain lion in the backyard. Black bears haven't gotten this far, but cute bear cubs make the local news. A turkey vulture landing in the backyard looks like a Piper Cub on approach. May well be the yotes ate the javalina litters, I don't see small ones anymore. Of all the critters, californians are the invasive species.

So I live in Bambi's nature preserve, the wildlife has Fish and Game's full support. We can't shoot or bowhunt within a quarter mile of a house, so SWMBO produced a green laser with a dazzler lens, will leave a yote seeing green spots for a while. Yotes quickly figured out that I have a wrist rocket and that Swede has a laser. I can only hope she doesn't shine it at the border patrol helicopter, they would come and take it away from her. Don't point it at daddy either.

I was hoping retirement would be boring.

Boolit Master

.429&H110
    Years ago i was playing with a laser pointer with the neighbors kittens a older cat they had paid it no mind at all . I pointed the red laser at the cats eyes shortly after it went blind. I do not know for sure I caused that but am more careful not to do so again with people or animal.
    I recently had a Raccoon chase the laser while the bright green game light was on it as well , the game was over when the laser was on the shoulder and I pulled the trigger sending a 51 grain bullet at 3000 f/s through the coon .
    P.S. this is also my retirement in the sticks of Michigan I never know what will turn up here at any given time , biggest safety risk is probably methheads that seem to not care what they do and a catch and release court in the county!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    About an hour ago I got a yote amidships with my wrist rocket at 50 feet.
    I was walking my dog the yote walked right up looking for a cookie.
    I betcha that yote is still running. Walmart has wristrockets for $8,
    our yards here are covered with small smooth landscaping rocks.
    One thing we don't have around here is cats, feral or loose.

Boolit Master

.429&H110 that is one way to give them the boot , I would worry about what would happen if one was rabid the slingshot will not deter them then .

For a while Florida was having terrible trouble with coyotes taking smaller dogs while people where walking them leashed ! I walk my 30 pound dog here off the leash but carry at least a .45 acp for such things I have shot two aggressive cats one with a .22 and I stopped carrying the lower power pistol .

I think we talked about where I grew (K-4th grade) up outside Luke AFB I only saw one coyote in five years , everyone shot them then.

Boolit Master
    Even if there were powder burns on the coyote, I might still have to explain it to a grand jury.
    A negligent discharge in AZ is a felony.
    Around here we can have all the firearms we want, but must never ever shoot, ever.
    Fish and Game will and did tell me, no. Sheriff says no. Not within 1/4 mile of a house.
    How about a bayonet on a cane?
    Vehicular assault? There are plenty dead coyotes in the road.
    That's what we need, geezers chasing yotes with golf carts, there's a new sport.

If I could get permission, which I can't, I can apply for a "Special Permit" for coyote control.
    Trouble with that is most people like their backyard coyotes.
    Even a wristrocket could be "harassing wildlife". Kinda fun, though.

What is in it for me is I want my elderly disabled? wife to walk the dog, and she won't.

Neighbor, a mile up the road, called this morning, needs to borrow my thermal outfit. He went out last night to investigate a disturbance amongst his livestock. 3 coyotes and four 3-400# wild hogs in the pasture.....five coons in the cow's shade tree. Sounds like you need some help. Geez.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    My sister saw two dogs get into a pasture with a herd of Elk. She said the result almost made her sick and She grew up on a farm.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    Even if there were powder burns on the coyote, I might still have to explain it to a grand jury.
    A negligent discharge in AZ is a felony.
    Around here we can have all the firearms we want, but must never ever shoot, ever.
    Fish and Game will and did tell me, no. Sheriff says no. Not within 1/4 mile of a house.
    How about a bayonet on a cane?
    Vehicular assault? There are plenty dead coyotes in the road.
    That's what we need, geezers chasing yotes with golf carts, there's a new sport.

If I could get permission, which I can't, I can apply for a "Special Permit" for coyote control.
    Trouble with that is most people like their backyard coyotes.
    Even a wristrocket could be "harassing wildlife". Kinda fun, though.

What is in it for me is I want my elderly disabled? wife to walk the dog, and she won't.
    80 pound draw crossbow pistol, almost silent, mine buries the bolt up to the fletching in a bow target... https://www.amazon.com/Cocking-Cross...01N51UXMM?th=1 I use mine on gophers and excess garden bunnies...

Dogs are no joke. Here in central Alabama, we have had 3 people killed by dogs in 3 separate incidents just this year. That doesn't count the attacks. We even had an animal investigator killed by a pack of dogs. Children and the aged are no match for a gang of dogs either-----without a firearm, that is. It seems like the more information in the news, the more Pit Bulls are garnered as "pets". If you do have to dispatch them, DO NOT post it ANYWHERE, especially on social media.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

We had a problem around here for a couple years with a pair of dogs.
    i'd never see 'em till deer season, one afternoon after several years of them chasing deer.
    I finally put a 320 gr cast from a 444 through the larger of the two.
    perfectly legal here...
    Haven't seen the smaller one since.
    Stray cats cats get the same treatment, except they never get a pass.
    Two so far this deer season.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    At the dog park this morning a hawk swooped over, checking out the little dogs.
    I was the only one who saw it, old people don't see very well.
    And they aren't looking.

Bow hunting within 1/4 mile (without permission) is hunting here. Air rifles are firearms, by law.
    The coyote lovers are against it.
    Air rifle vs rats (big grey rats) inside my walls is illegal.
    Tell it to the rats.

The drawback to slingshot hunting is now the yotes see me and hide. They learned quickly, but.
    They still sneak up behind the old ladies walking their little dogs and some of the little old ladies are carrying. We might just get a test of the legality of a little old disabled lady killing a coyote. (Nobody would care if she shot a mugger. Muggers are "any mammal" in the Fish and Game book, but the Sheriff would approve.) A bounced bullet could be bad, and the Bambi crowd would be unhappy about everything.
    That's why the Good Lord made shotguns...

A concensus of our coyote haters seems to be to run them over,
    and the coyotes seem willing to be in the road to co-operate.

Boolit Master

.429&H110 sounds like it is better here in Michigan then out there where I grew up! Despite the lies in the news a dog not wearing a current license is not protected and coyotes along with a host of other animals have been listed from game to vermin by the state! Hogs running wild here are declared enemies of the state too! A local reporter was very upset to report this when a guy drowned a bag of puppies at a boat launch and could not be charged with a thing! Of coarse a call for new laws was asked for but so far there have been none .

Others, on these running dogs I treat them as they treat me I have had to dispatch a few over the years same with cats if the hawks , owls , eagles ,bobcat and coyotes do not get them first . I witnessed a cat get caught it was a terrible was to go cat run across my front yard chasing a rabbit while I was in for lunch during deer season . The cat was hot on a cotton tail 10 yards behind the cat was a coyote, then another yote got out in front the rabbit did a 90 degree jump out of the trap , The cat turned and was face to face with the trailing yote . As the cat went into defense mode coyote 2 grabbed it by the neck pulling it back while coyote one grabbed it's belly and ripped it open . it was about 90 yards away and I had my Model 29 in a holster and sent a round gut shooting coyote 2 . Both of them run across the road one in bad shape . The cat was gutted still alive with a broken back I put it out of it's misery and buried it . There was some odd markings on the cats ears one ear was clipped straight. This often notes a female cat that has been fixed and released to a farm or somewhere else . However there was a "U" shaped clip of the other ear and three holes under it . My first thought was shotgun but each hole was a different size largest hole about a 1/4". If there are owners of these animals they are committing the worst kind of cruelty letting them run .

Boolit Master
    I live in Indiana, moved here in 1986, the only coyotes here were big yellow ones. Then the saddle back moved in. From 1998 to 2003 my son and I killed over 300 coyotes, most with a .22. Have not seen one yellow coyote for many years. The coyote learned if they stayed outside the fence/pasture we didn't shot. Today they still walk outside the fence, as new pups were born the old coyotes showed the young to stay out from the fence. The property around us is owned by the Indianapolis airport so can't shoot on it.

Boolit Master
    Coyotes are smarter than old people from California.
    Throwing dog cookies at coyotes just doesn't work.
    Easy to train coyotes with a slingshot. The coyotes are getting the message fast, they see me and run, like wild animals should. The greenie coyote huggers tsktsk, (they call me "The Alaskan", I met an Alaskan once, I'm really not, I'm a Yankee, but to Calies that's worse). They haven't called the cops about harassing wildlife yet. The Fish and Game website says to throw rocks at them, the coyotes I mean.

I grew up in the Peoples Republic of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts,
    we were allowed slingshots! BB guns were outlawed in '68.
    (NJ only allows little david's sling, they didn't want to try to legislate a thong,
    they might have to seize them all and it would get ugly....)
    And if I do say so, I am pretty good with a smooth stone out of a wristrocket.
    I throw flat stones so the projectile whistles right over their heads.
    Reload, whack. I left my chrony in AK; anyone ever chrony a rock? Flies flat at 50 feet.
    These daytime yotes were getting too close. The whole pack comes through around midnight.
    There is coyote poop everywhere, the javalinas eat it, keeps the place tidy.
    My wife is annoyed if all this wakes up her dog, but a coyote pack in the dark is not a job for a slingshot.

Coyotes and birds of prey are largely opportunity hunters. Remove the opportunity and they'll go elsewhere.

Just don't fall out a deerstand without someone knowing where you are. The official report will say the fall killed you. And no one can dispute it if you're deceased.

Some people shoot dogs when its necessary.
    Some people do it whenever they've an excuse.

I can respect one, the other is despicable.

Boolit Master
    What is in it for me is I want my wife to walk my little dog.
    They really need the exercise, need to join the dog walking parade.
    I really really do not want her to shoot a coyote and neither does the Sheriff.
    I love my Swede, and she carries a 38.
    By the rules, she could shoot pretty much anybody anything, and be "reasonable".
    Think about that when you disrespect a disabled old lady at walmart...
    "She felt threatened" goes to the Grand Jury of geezers. Nol Pross.
    It's a wonder they don't shoot more people.
    But not coyotes, we like coyotes.

The yotes follow the dog walkers around because some of these geezers were throwing dog cookies at them.
    That stopped because it is a $300 fine to feed the cute coyotes. Hello, rule of law. Thank you Sheriff.
    So I have been having fun, and it is fun, tracking our backyard pets, and slingshoting their butts out of here. It's working, they've moved to the next old folk's village and other dog cookies. Coyotes should be afraid of people. There were three seen every day by daylight following people unafraid, a mother and grown daughter that ran together, and their old mangy male that really needs to be buried. If I get bit, I have Medicare. Oh does Medicare cover rabies shots? Doesn't cover snakebite. Good question...

It should be safe to walk a dog in an old folks village in the desert. It's too bad I can't just shoot varmints.
    Been a good walk and an adventure for this old Yankee learning the desert critters and tracking them.
    The javalinas behave themselves, they're a pack of pigs browsing, please don't feed them pumpkins...
    I thought retirement should be boring. The rattlesnakes haven't gone to bed yet.
    My wife hopes I don't meet the puma with only a stick, slingshot and a sharp skinning knife.
    Not likely but Hey, that's all I was issued in Massachusetts, all legal here, no worries.
    So far, the pumas are afraid of people. I hope the Calies don't feed 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Dogs are no joke. Here in central Alabama, we have had 3 people killed by dogs in 3 separate incidents just this year. That doesn't count the attacks. We even had an animal investigator killed by a pack of dogs. Children and the aged are no match for a gang of dogs either-----without a firearm, that is. It seems like the more information in the news, the more Pit Bulls are garnered as "pets". If you do have to dispatch them, DO NOT post it ANYWHERE, especially on social media.

Well said.

When I walk my 14# dog, there is a LCP in my front pocket.
    NRA Life Member