Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossi 92 carbine cast loads

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by braddock View Post
    Forgot to say I'm in the UK and basically we have Lee, Lee, Lee or Lee and sometimes Lyman and even less often rcbs to choose from.
    You dont need look any further than the LEE 158 - perfectly adequate for the job - your search will take you to molds that cost three to five times as much and wont do a dang thing better than the LEE - scattered through their range they have a few outstandingly good designs (for the money) - this is one of them

Boolit Master
    my old Rossi 357 is a bit finicky but the three that work best for me are 359-125 from an old group buy from miha, 360640 also an mp mold but surprisingly enough the 358156 from an old ideal moulds gas checked and lube sized at .360 crimped on the top groove in 357 mag brass gives fantastic results as far as accuracy mostly loaded with 300mp powder for full velocity potential.

Hi and thanks for all the interest.
    I was pretty sparse with the information but basically I bought the rossi to get more involved with cowboy action shooting, had a win 94 AE and it was the biggest *** to get repeat shots off with 38 sp reloads, I sold it. Don't get me wrong I've a pre 64 94 in 30/30 I just love that is ideal but the club officers aren't that keen on it, even with subsonic (125 grn fp with 8grns 2400) and I needed some retail therapy hence the rossi. My licence is now in the post so t won't be too long before my little beauty comes home with me.
    FWIW, there are two different takes on rifles for deer hunting, in england and wales a 22 centre fire with a muzzle energy of at least 1000 ft.lbs is the minimum for harvesting muntjac and chinese water deer, for the remainder of the deer a minimum cal of .240" is required together with a minimum muzzle energy of 1700 ft.lbs.
    In Scotland they are more specific and specify a bullet weight of 100 grains, muzzle energy of 1750 ft.lbs and a minimum muzzle velocity of 2450 ft/sec. I'm pretty sure that they have similar rules as the rest of the uk for muntjac and CWD but I don't know for certain.
    I'm pretty sure a 30/30 will hack it in england and wales but not scotland and if there is a 357 mag cartridge with an MV of at least 1750 fps and a bullet weight of 158 grains they will meet the 1700 ft.lbs of energy in england and wales but not Scotland.
    NB it has to be a published factory load, I'm pretty sure reloads won't cut it unless you own your own estate and can prove, if required by a court, that you didn't cause an animal any undue suffering.
    So, clear as mud. Incidentally the scottish rule seems to make the 45/70 illegal in scotland for deer of any sort.Hope that helps.

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry lever and found it feeds the Lee 120 TC just a tad better than the Lee 125 RF. The Meplat is a little smaller. The Henry does well with either 38 or 357 brass and the 120 bullet. The 120 sounds pretty good for plinking or something like CAS.

The Lee 105 RN also feeds and shoots good.
    Last edited by P Flados; 04-05-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    are you able to get mp molds from miha in Slovenia shipped to uk? not that lee molds are not good but mp molds are one of the finest experiences in bullet casting

Boolit Mold
    You didnt spec a use for the load but I like busters most of the time and my 16" rossi loves 358156's, 38-158's and 358429's and feeds all 3 flawlessly.
    And if your rossi is like mine and had had the chamber oversized to aid feeding try LilGun powder, it and 11fs seem to operate at pretty low (comparatively speaking) pressures so subsequently easier on your brass if you reload.

So many fine responses, I've had the gun a couple of months now and my LGS was selling off some cast bullets where the containers had been damaged by water.
    I ended up with 500 silvalube round nose 359", 500 158 grn TC hardcast, 1000 158 grn rnfp hard cast both the latter are sized at 359.
    I made a conscious decision to quit hunting basically because of my knees, my heart and the 79 summers I've lived through.
    I've just about used up the silvalubes, got the last 100 loaded up and ready to go. I'm using up the last of the Universal powder I have, 4.9 grains behind those silvalubes very accurate despite what many people have said, I've also got through nearly 400 of the rnfp 158s, again very accurate, I use lovex powder for these, 5.1 grns of D036. I've been using a mix of brass, a load of 38sp+P, new starline 357 mag cases and bought a few hundred 357 S&B Mags with 158 grn FMJ, they were actually cheaper to buy than buying starline cases and loading them what's going on in the world.
    I have yet to buy a mold, I want to get one with the Tumble lub feature and they seem to be like rocking horse poo at the moment.
    A word about the rossi, apart from the sights I absolutely love it, light, accurate and it feeds 38 and 357 cases with no problem ever since I dumped the crap lyman crimp/seating die in favour of a lee factory crimp die and through die powder load, cracking bit of kit.
    I managed to get 5000 S&B small rifle primers and they work a treat, I got them from a clubmate and the cost was nearly the same that I paid for 1000 large rifle primers for the 30/30.
    Never thought I'dlive to see the day when primers were so expensive.
    Back to the rifle, I've scrapped the rossi rear sight and fitted a fold flat rear sight that is spot on. I'd like to buy one of stevegunz r92 peep sights but he won't export.
    So I'm happy with the rifle, rattling through the store bought cast boolits and hope I can get a mold shortly as I'd like to do all my casting in the summer outside but we'll see.
    In the meantime many thanks for the interest shown and your responses I really do appreciate it.
    I entered my first CAS comp over the weekend and had a whale of a time, I've applied to join a club that does this regularly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new toy.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	315375 Here's a pic of my two lever guns, the rossi is the stainless one.
    Last edited by braddock; 06-25-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've had a Rossi R92 in 44 Magnum for several years. I had a Henry Big Boy in 44 Special/44 Magnum, but it was just too heavy to tote around the woods = 8 1/2 pounds. I love the light weight Rossi at 5 pounds, and it is very accurate with Lee 430-240 grain SWC's. I am 71 years old; so the rear sight halfway up the barrel is a major problem for my eyes. I thought about the peep sight replacement from Stevesgunz, but from what I have read, it normally requires a higher front sight. I bought a Williams 94/36 received sight several years ago, but have been putting off having my Rossi drilled and tapped. I wish Rossi had spent a couple of extra bucks and had drilled and tapped it at the factory like a Winchester Model 92.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    are you able to get mp molds from miha in Slovenia shipped to uk? not that lee molds are not good but mp molds are one of the finest experiences in bullet casting
    I just found their website, many thanks for that heads up. It may take me a while to decide what I want.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Arsenal Molds are excellent with many designs and modest prices. My favorite 9mm mold came from them. May want to shoot them a message and see if they will ship to you.

https://arsenalmolds.com/
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    the 360640 is a great candidate for lever action. with a Keith design bullet might give you not so smooth feed issues but you won't know till you try it but a round nose flat top bullet will most likely have zero feed issues in lever action.

Just a heads up, one of the UK forums I subscribe to had just the mold I was seeking in its buy and sell section and I bagged it, it's the LEE TL359-158 SWC mold,
    I should get it next week some time.
    I know sometimes it's more cost effective to have several molds for varying bullet weights but I've settled on 158 grains as my ideal, keeps the OAL just right.
    Please be aware these loads that follow work OK in MY guns following My procedures, you have to accept that there are risks with any data you use off of the internet and my data is as suspect as the next man's.
    I spent some time on the range on the weekend honing the loads for the 30/30 and 357, here's my final recipes, 30/30 120 grn hardcast lee rnfp, 8 grns 2400 it leaves the muzzle at under 1000fps. I get 2" groups offhand at 25 yards, ideal for cowboy stuff, also 173 grn rnfp gc lee hardcast 16.5 grns 2400 I load for this as I bought a rake of these bullets dirt cheap and with that load of 2400 they're leaving the muzzle at over 1700 fps, bit too much for cowboy but ideal for 100 yard range shooting. I was getting 3.5" groups at 100 yards from prone with a Williams peep sight on it.
    With the 357 and using 38sp+ cases I'm getting about 1200 fps with the loads I mentioned earlier and with the 357 mag, same bullet and 13.5 grns of 2400 they're coming out the muzzle in excess of 1700 fps, I don't shoot too many of those, the lighter load is much more accurate 1.5" at 50 yards the heavier load about 3.5" at 100 yards with the poxy standard sight on before I changed it to a folding leaf as every time I fired it, the recoil set the sight elevator at the minimum. A common issue I've been told.
    Once again many thanks for the interest and replies I really do appreciate all your inputs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by braddock View Post
    ... also 173 grn rnfp gc lee hardcast 16.5 grns 2400 I load for this as I bought a rake of these bullets dirt cheap and with that load of 2400 they're leaving the muzzle at over 1700 fps, bit too much for cowboy but ideal for 100 yard range shooting.
    Can you confirm that charge of 2400 from the quote above is correct? Seems like an awfully hot load with a 173gr bullet, so I'm wondering if that's actually a typo and maybe you intended to type 13.5 gr?

Sounds like you're having excellent success with your Rossi, which is great to hear.

Defo 16.5 grains, lymans 4th edition cast bullet handbook says start at 14.5 grns, do not exceed 19 grns. I stay down at the low end and checked it out with my magnetospeed max 1730 ish, min 1685 ish.
    Thanks for the heads up though.
    Soon as I run out of those boolits I've modded a 6 cavity lee mold the 312-155 which I believe is either for 303 british or the 7.65x39 russian, either way they size down to 309" fine, they will take a gc and I intend to powder coat them and size them again if they mike over 310".Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivets.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	315601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0191 (1).jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	315602
    I've attached a couple of imges, showing on one where I drilled all the way through and reamed with a 0.25" reamer then trimmed some alloy rivets to sit tightly in the bore of those reamed holes. I couldn't bear to part with the money to buy a set of Lee handles so I bought a cheap $8 welding clamp from amazon and a couple passes with an angle grinder sorted it.
    The boolits, as cast, weigh about 147 grns, gc and pc add another 6.
    I only have 200 of the 173, 250 of the 165 RNFP and 150 of the 122grn RNFP to use up before I start casting so probably a couple of months to go.
    The catalyst for me getting into this side of the hobby was a posting on this forum https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Rifles-Article which gave me a start point, check the pressures of the powder you use and use the 7.62x39 loads as a basis ie use the start at for those and work your way slowly up until you get the accuracy you want and the speed you want.
    I don't run any 30 cal military but it suits me and my 30/30 and it really helps to pass the time and reducethe amount of scrap leadI've got in the back yard.

Defo 16.5 grains, lymans 4th edition cast bullet handbook says start at 14.5 grns, do not exceed 19 grns. I stay down at the low end and checked it out with my magnetospeed max 1730 ish, min 1685 ish.
    Thanks for the heads up though.
    Soon as I run out of those boolits I've modded a 6 cavity lee mold the 312-155 which I believe is either for 303 british or the 7.65x39 russian, either way they size down to 309" fine, they will take a gc and I intend to powder coat them and size them again if they mike over 310".Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivets.jpg 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	315601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0191 (1).jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	315602
    I've attached a couple of imges, showing on one where I drilled all the way through and reamed with a 0.25" reamer then trimmed some alloy rivets to sit tightly in the bore of those reamed holes. I couldn't bear to part with the money to buy a set of Lee handles so I bought a cheap $8 welding clamp from amazon and a couple passes with an angle grinder sorted it.
    The boolits, as cast, weigh about 147 grns, gc and pc add another 6.
    I only have 200 of the 173, 250 of the 165 RNFP and 150 of the 122grn RNFP to use up before I start casting so probably a couple of months to go.
    The catalyst for me getting into this side of the hobby was a posting on this forum https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Rifles-Article which gave me a start point, check the pressures of the powder you use and use the 7.62x39 loads as a basis ie use the start at for those and work your way slowly up until you get the accuracy you want and the speed you want.
    I don't run any 30 cal military but it suits me and my 30/30.

If you look in the Lee 2nd edition, 2016 reprint there's a load in there that I've also started working up for the 170 grn 30/30 lead boolit, it uses accur 2520 for a remarkably low pressure of 29300 and they say it gets 2053 fps, I'm just over 26 grns of this and getting 3" ish groups at 100 yards, prone with no rest and williams peep rear. I hope there's more accuracy to come. I've yet to chrono the load as it's such a pain to rig the magnetospeed onto a rifle with a magazine tube under the barrel.
    If you can't get the accur try shooters world powders, lovex D073.6 is what I use in similar loadings. Shooters world calls it Match Rifle.
    https://shootersworldpowder.com/canister-propellants/