Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Casting for black powder revolvers and muzzlelodaders

Boolit Buddy

Casting for black powder revolvers

After spending some quality time casting 12 lbs of .454 round balls for fall and winter shooting, I wonder sometimes why we do what we do to keep on shooting? I for one love the aspect of doing it myself and keeping the black powder aspect alive and well in the crazy times that we live in. As a somewhat newbie to black powder shooting and casting, I enjoy casting everything I shoot, no matter if it is a revolver or a long rifle. As times are what they are, we have to do what we can to keep on enjoying shooting. After I casting all the round balls, I will have to make all the percussion caps myself as I cannot find caps in NC. That being what it is, I will make my own caps and round balls and keep on shooting! Keep on shooting brothers and sisters!
    Last edited by ncmn; 08-27-2022 at 09:25 AM. Reason: title

Boolit Master
    good attitude fine sir...now I surely hope your propellant powder is also home rolled???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    good attitude fine sir...now I surely hope your propellant powder is also home rolled???
    Well not home rolled at this time, but I do have a good supply at the moment. I have not researched home rolled yet, and it is something that I might try next.

Boolit Mold
    I’m with you. The only component of my black powder shooting that I have not produced myself is the powder. Maybe in the future I’ll experiment. Wads, patches, projectiles, caps, lubes and flints have all been in my range bag and served me well. It’s like apple pie. Homemade just tastes better.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have been casting and shooting BP for 60 some years now . . . but it doesn't matter if you've been doing it that long or just starting out . . . what you express I think pretty much sums it all up for most of us and you said it well. Just remember that if it gets to be too much of a hassle making caps - a good flintlock is also a good thing to have on hand as well. Once you smell the Holy Black Brother . . . it's in your blood . . . you might stray format once in a while . . . but you will ALWAYS come back.

Good luck with your shooting and cap making . . . enjoy and have fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the comments, and I made my first 25 caps today with the prime all mix, and made 5 with German caps. Going to see if they work tomorrow? Fired up the furnace and made another run of .454 and .380 round balls.

Is anyone on here making paper cartridges out of round balls?

I just started making paper cartridges about a month ago. They sure are handy when you are shooting. I’ve had no problems thus far. I don’t see any difference in accuracy. Im making them for an 1858 Remington.

Boolit Master

I was just at the Cabela's in Dundee, Michigan and they had several tins of Remington #11 caps for $13.99. I am used to getting them there for $7.99 so I left them on the shelf. I have plenty in inventory already.

Boolit Master
    i do love too shooting. When supply's get hard to come by? and any other time, I shoot a .177 pellet gun, Just to keep my hand in it> At a .01$ per shot, all others can't compete> I can shoot indoors with no problem at 10 meters. I compete from 10 meters out to 1000meters with different fire arms.