Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: RCBS 22 K Hornet Sizing die giving me fits

RCBS 22 K Hornet Sizing die giving me fits

In the process of switching over from 22 hornet to 22K hornet. Dies were brand new from RCBS. Cleaned before using then ran 15 fireformed cases. About 10 of them showed a small shallow vertical dent at base of neck. Recleaned and still same problem. I have never experienced this problem over the many years I have reloaded.

It hasn't bothered accuracy but it still bothers me. If I can't get it figured out will buy another set of dies. Trouble is finding a set.

Anyone got an idea , I can't get RCBS to reply in any form otherwise I would want to exchange them. Hell I couldn't even get them to straighten out a mistake on my order. I ordered some locking rings and they sent ultrasonic cleaning fluid. Since I was about 20.00 to the good you think they would have taken care of that.

I used to be a big RCBS fan but this last year has been a big I dunno.

What lube are you using and how much? Sounds like lube dents but hard to say without a photo... Can you post a photo? I'm sure folks will chime in and help you get it sorted out if we can see what's happening....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Also my first thought was lube dents too, although those typically manifest on the shoulder not the neck since the expander ball would straighten out any dents there.

Can you post a pic?
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Is there a small hole into the neck from the outside. Some dies have this to help prevent lube dents and occasionally a die set will have a small burr on the inside end of this hole.

Boolit Grand Master

When was the last time the necks were annealed?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Problem is only with 10/15 makes me think it’s not the die itself.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like too much lube or the vent hole is plugged or missing.

These are itty bitty thin cases and it won't take much lube to cause the problem. Try using some powdered graphite as a case lube.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Thin cases with the sharp K neck don’t take much lube to dent like that. The sharp neck seems to trap lube causing the dent.The vertical dent will eventually become a split, usually in 2 or 3 reloads. After lubing wipe the neck to remove the lube. This should solve the problem. Home made lanolin lube also prevents it if you let the alcohol carrier totally evaporate before sizing. Don’t let lube build up in the die either…… Bad customer service from RCBS? Wow. They’ve always been very responsive over several decades either by letter, telephone, or email. I’d give them another call or email. It’s always been a toss up between Leupold and RCBS for the best customer service in the shooting sports.

Matt- using the lanolin homemade mix, Have not tried wiping off necks. RCBS cautioned me that responses for service requests are at an all time high. Would take awhile but its been 3 months or more. Holding on phone awaiting an answer is an exercise in futility.

I do believe problem is solved. Ran 15 cases thru sizer die but wiped necks before sizing. Worked great not one dent in the bunch. Thanks to all for the help. Also made sure relief hole was open in the die.