RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&w model 10

Boolit Master

S&w model 10

How hard or expensive would it be to put adjustable sights on a S&W model 10 or a stainless model 64? I probably would be better off buying a good revolver already with adjustable sights and a longer barrel for target shooting any way. I have two police trade in’s a model 10 and model 64. They shoot good but would really like adjustable sites on at least one pistole.

Boolit Master

I would seek a trade with another individual for a M-14 M-15 or a M-67 some folks prefer to carry a fixed sight K frame.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

In addition to the cost of the sights, there’s some pretty precise machine work involved, and it ain’t cheap. For the same money, you could probably find a used revolver with the adjustable sights already on it. I don’t mean to discourage you, but I think that conversion would be cost prohibitive.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I wasn't looking to get adjustable sights for my own Model 10-5. I knew that line of revolvers wouldn't have them handy already.

Perhaps you can figure it out with a private buyer to trade one of your revolvers for a target sighted version?

Boolit Master

All my revolvers at one time had adjustable sights pm them. For the last 25 to 30 years I have been slowly replacing the adjustable sight revolvers with their counter part that have fixed sights. I only have one revolver left that has adjustables and that is a Model 57. I much prefer fixed sights as I will not be shooting over 50 yards with anything but the .41 magnum. Everyone to their own preferences, james

Boolit Master
    I would sell one and start shopping.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    How hard or expensive would it be to put adjustable sights on a S&W model 10 or a stainless model 64? I probably would be better off buying a good revolver already with adjustable sights and a longer barrel for target shooting any way. I have two police trade in’s a model 10 and model 64. They shoot good but would really like adjustable sites on at least one pistole.
    I'll start with the comment from an old shooter, "Adjustable sights do not make your groups smaller, they simply allow you to move that group around on the target".

Adjustable sights allow you to bring the point of aim [P.O.A.] and point of impact [P.O.I.] together. They also allow you to compensate for varying loads (within limits). Adjustable sights DO NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER SHOOTER.

I have witnessed skilled shooters do very good work with fixed sights. Adjustable sights are not a magic pill.

As for the question, "How hard or expensive would it be to put adjustable sights on a S&W model 10 or a stainless model 64?" - The answer is prohibitively expensive.

As for the statement (in which you answer your own question), "I probably would be better off buying a good revolver already with adjustable sights and a longer barrel for target shooting any way." - Longer barrels allow for slightly longer sight radius and therefore make sighting errors slightly less critical. However, longer handgun barrels are not inherently more accurate beyond the advantage of a longer sight radius and maybe a little more velocity. Don't believe me? Put a 2" barreled revolver in a Ransom rest and a 4" barreled revolver in a Ransom rest - you might be surprised at how similar the groups are. I've won more than a few informal bets with a snubnose revolver. Short barreled revolvers are more difficult to master but the guns themselves are capable of fine accuracy.

Before you start selling guns, trading guns, seeking longer barrels and adjustable sights. I suggest you find a good load, and practice EXTENSIVELY with that one load in ONE gun. You may be surprised what that gun is capable of.

Boolit Bub
    In the current climate, I would think long and hard before unloading a decent model 10 or 64. Try to add rather than subtract from your armory! There are a lot of 15s and 67s in the world.

Do a search for Wonder Sight for S&W. Your m10 needs to be an older one for it to fit- providing you find one.
    My memory worked- yeehaw!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've a model 10 I have had for about 25 years. Put a lot of rounds downrange. Since I used to live in NYC and all the police officers I saw all carried a model 10 with the heavy barrel. So eventually I bought one. Few years later picked up a model 15 with adjustable sights. Shot that also a bunch. That was followed by a model 14 with adjustable sights. But probably have more rounds with the model 10. Frank

Boolit Master
    i was thinking about the factory K or J sights, or the Wonder Sight, for my fixed-sight M1905/4, but have pretty much decided to leave it original. My GS said he'd prefer putting the K sight on it despite the undercut for the J-stud, rather than the simpler cut for the J type...I can't really agree with him. The wonder sight would be great, due to the little .32-20 being a 5-screw, but I'm not sure the factory half-moon front sight would be tall enough and the idea of the rear sight hanging on the side of the frame by one screw...yikes. So for now it's gonna stay a fixed-sight gun. I keep reading about people rechambering K-32s for .32-20 but haven't found a good candidate yet.
    I'd keep both of those and shop for a decent 15/67/19/66.
    Ed <><

Boolit Master
    Used K-frames have always seemed like a huge bargain to me.
    I’m another vote for keep yours as is except shoot it a lot!
    Keep an eye out for a Model 14. It’ll have a 6” barrel and adjustable sights.

For grins check out the website for Collectors Firearms in Houston. They often have one or a few in stock....as well as lots of other really cool boolit launchers.

I also see a couple a year show up at pawnshops and some smaller gun shops I frequent. Usually priced to move bc most people want shorter barrels for carry.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'll start with the comment from an old shooter, "Adjustable sights do not make your groups smaller, they simply allow you to move that group around on the target".

Adjustable sights allow you to bring the point of aim [P.O.A.] and point of impact [P.O.I.] together. They also allow you to compensate for varying loads (within limits). Adjustable sights DO NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER SHOOTER.

I have witnessed skilled shooters do very good work with fixed sights. Adjustable sights are not a magic pill.

As for the question, "How hard or expensive would it be to put adjustable sights on a S&W model 10 or a stainless model 64?" - The answer is prohibitively expensive.

As for the statement (in which you answer your own question), "I probably would be better off buying a good revolver already with adjustable sights and a longer barrel for target shooting any way." - Longer barrels allow for slightly longer sight radius and therefore make sighting errors slightly less critical. However, longer handgun barrels are not inherently more accurate beyond the advantage of a longer sight radius and maybe a little more velocity. Don't believe me? Put a 2" barreled revolver in a Ransom rest and a 4" barreled revolver in a Ransom rest - you might be surprised at how similar the groups are. I've won more than a few informal bets with a snubnose revolver. Short barreled revolvers are more difficult to master but the guns themselves are capable of fine accuracy.

Before you start selling guns, trading guns, seeking longer barrels and adjustable sights. I suggest you find a good load, and practice EXTENSIVELY with that one load in ONE gun. You may be surprised what that gun is capable of.
    ^^^^There's a lot of wisdom in that post^^^^

The only advantage adjustable sights sometimes have is they offer a better sight picture vs. fixed sights; a good example is Colt SA's. This is NOT the case with Model 10's. Their fixed sights are heavy and easy to see like adjustable sights.

If a revolver is properly made, everything is square, parallel and perpendicular, and its sights were designed properly, there should be no need for adjustment. I learned this years ago the hard way after whacking, filing and bending front sights. Granted, if a person is shooting a 148 gr. wadcutter at 750 fps, then switches to a +P load with a 170 gr. bullet, there's going to be some vertical difference in POI, but with a modicum of practice it's easy to make minor adjustments to ones point of aim. Besides, if you have a a revolver with adjustable sights, are you really going to have a screwdriver along and twiddle with the sights every time there's a change in the load?

Finally, a good revolver with a 4" or 5" barrel will give plenty accuracy even at extended distances. None of the groups below were shot from a bench, but imagine if they had been!

I actually own a S&W Model 15 which is just a Model 10 with adjustable sights. After I got it, I centered the sights and haven't had to touch them since.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Makes much more sense to buy or trade for gun with adjustable sights. I never keep fixed sight guns because I load. Model 10s do well with standard police 158gr loads, that’s what they are made for.

My 2 Spanish police model 10's shoot about 3" high at 25 yards with 160 grain rnfp loads. With the Lee 125 rnfp (around 130 lubed)they shoot dead on sights at 25. I always wondered if the Spanish police specified a different load when they placed the order.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Give two different people the same revolver with the same load, especially a load with a little recoil to it, and your sure to have two different POI's. Everybody holds and shoots handguns a little different from each other

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    The buying a different pistole would be the way to go. I like my S&w model 10 and 64 to much to sell them. It’s not like iam shooting long range or a lot of different bullets. Thanks for the reply’s

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 10-5 absolutely loves the Lee 358-158-RF under pretty much any charge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I would go with a Wonder Sight, or have a reputable gunsmith cut a dovetail for the rear sight. Find 'The Load' for your Model 10, adjust the windage and file the front if needed. A much less expensive route.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    By the time you have a good 'smith convert your model 10 to adjustable sights you will have spent as much or more than just buying an adjustable sight gun outright.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.