WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching your revolver

Matching your revolver

I want to match calibers from some of my revolvers to a lever. .22 LR and 38 / 357 were easy. But I've got a 41 rem mag that is proving to be a bit more difficult / pricey. So much so that I'm thinking about buying a matching set of 44 mag.

Mike

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Lever guns tend to be pricey, I’m looking at a Henry in 41mag . I have .22, 38/357,44mag, and 45 long colt , just need a 41 lol !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Moderator Emeritus

I've been able to match .22 LR, .38/357, .41 Magnum, .44 Spl/.44 Magnum and .45 Colt in lever guns. The one that has been elusive for me has been .32 H&R Magnum. The easiest has been 9x19 in semi auto pistols and carbines. I've also matched the 10mm in pistols, revolver and carbines.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I saw a Marlin 336 in 41mag for sale, gentleman was asking $2000. So then I started looking at the idea of barrelling an old 336 and cambering it in 41 mag. Also very expensive. That lead me down the rabbit hole toward a 414 super mag. Not to mention the thought of re-throating the Rossi to 357 Max.

Mike

Mike-- .44 Mag. is a good lever/revolver combo. You might also take a look at .44-40.

Nice link,thanks for sharing it.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Mike-- .44 Mag. is a good lever/revolver combo. You might also take a look at .44-40.
    The .44 may be thhe direction I go to satisfy my "pairs"craving

Boolit Master
    If you got the Henry BBS in .41mag you would not be disappointed, I love mine. It pairs up nicely with either my 6” or 4” Model 57 no dash.

My pairs are 22 and 41. Both rifles are Henrys. The 41 setup is a 4-5/8 BH and the rifle is a BBS rifle length. The 22 is a pair of Ruger Wranglers and a Henry
    Classic.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

I've got Marlins in 22, 357, 45lc, 41, and can't remember if I have 44 or not to go along with pistols plus a lot more. Some of my stuff is still kinda packed from moving. Think I have more but kinda like Christmas when I get everything together.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I bought a .44 mag Marlin lever gun to go along with my revolver. I figured I already had the dies to reload. I was never overly enthused with the gun and if I were to buy a gun near that size again, I would go with .357 mag. Also, to get the best performance from the the different guns, I was experimenting with slower powders for more power out of the longer barrel of the lever gun.

Well, it looks like given time, we might get to see what Ruger does with a lever action Marlin

I have a couple Marlin Levers, a 1897 and a 39m and 6 22 revolvers / 5 22 auto pistols. These are probably the most useful to shoot with one ammo. I’ve got a Marlin 1894 44mg and Ruger SBH and two m29-2 S&Ws. Can’t see carrying both unless under Indian attack. I normally do just the opposite. If I’m carrying a centerfire rifle, I carry 22 pistol, visa versa in the woods.

Boolit Buddy
    What Drm50 said. No matter which CF long gun I'm carrying. The handgun will likely not match in caliber. The 22 rifle stays near the house as targets of opportunity are common in the pasture, ie: pigs, axis deer, varmints. I checktraps carrying a 22 single six otherwise it's 44S, 357, or 45 Colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by navyvet View Post
    Nice looking piece at a great price. Too bad they are out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    Nice looking piece at a great price. Too bad they are out of stock.
    Yeah that did not last long. When I first spotted it, ad said in warehouse ready to ship.

I saw that also. I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger, so to speak. LOL

Boolit Master
    Mixin and matchin, I have a S&W model 15 in 38 spl along with my Marlin 1894 in 357 mag. Close enough. Or could use my Colt Trooper III in 357 mag. Also have a 1894 in 44 magnum, never could get the accuracy out of my Ruger Redhawk that I felt I should get. So substistute one of my S&W 624 with the 6.5" long barrel. So I have two matches kinda sorta. Frank

Boolit Master
    Most 44 magnum rifles don't really match the handguns. The rifling twist rate is different. Rifle slow twist seems designed only for cowboy action, handguns are for either cowboys or hunters.