Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: The heaviest most reliable bullet you can run in your Rossi 357 and 45 Colt?

The heaviest most reliable bullet you can run in your Rossi 357 and 45 Colt?

What are some heavier cast bullets that you can run in your Rossi 357 Magnum and your Rossi 45 Long Colt that are reliable?

Would the Lee 300 grain 452 bullet work in the 45 Long Colt?
    Thanks

Boolit Man

I have recently been playing with some 330 and some 350gr cast.... they are sized down 457. sized to 452..
    Im using trail boss right now for careful starter.....Im in the 6 to 6.5 gr range,... havent put it trrough the chrono yet.
    I have been suprised with the acc. and the stability.... so far....
    Rossi 45. seem to love it.

Hello huntersdog,

The case length for a 45 Colt is 1.285",
    the nose length for the Lee C452-300-RF is .285",
    added together should be 1.57".
    My chart says Max OAL for the 45 Colt is 1.600".

AntiqueSledMan.

Groo here
    Your biggest problem is the barrel twist .
    Rifles can be much slower twist and you can shoot a long bullet too slow.
    Best test.

Boolit Bub
    I have some 300 gr Beartooth bullets .452 That shoot well in my Marlin Cowboys 20 inch and 24 inch barrels. heavier bullets did not shoot well in mine.

Boolit Master
    in my
    .357 rossi I use 358429 loaded in .38 cases with a dose of 2400

Boolit Master

For what it’s worth I’ve run numerous Ruger only 45Colts through my Puma Rossi with no problems.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C424223B-B3C2-4D01-B65C-C6F987392FA9.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	250088

I agree with Bob. The Lyman 358429 @ 170g is a good heavy bullet. I have a old group but 190g WFN thats my choice. (Pic above.)

In the LC. Yes that LEE 300 works as long as your gun feeds it. My rossi dos et have the “correct” twist to work... (ON PAPER). In reality it shoots JUST FINE with Unique. I shoot more Lyman 454424.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

The Lee 300 grain works fine in my older Rossi .45, but the slim crescent buttplate makes it a bit unpleasant. Fine for hunting. Not so fine to shoot a box of 50 at a time.

Boolit Grand Master

A quick google search shows a 1:30" twist for the 357 mag Rossi. That is a huge handicap. If the Berger Bullets ballistic calculator is worth anything, 180 grain bullets are going to be marginal in that twist at max loads.

If your rifle has a proper 1:18" twist like a revolver, then you could easily run 220-230 grain bullets if you wanted.

Moderator Emeritus

Experience is a better teacher than a calculator. Spank that 180 and it works fine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Saeco 180 RNFP in my rossi with perfect success. With the right load it is accurate and I can beat the power of a 38-40 with no problem. Makes a good deer load.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Experience is a better teacher than a calculator. Spank that 180 and it works fine.
    I figured they would be. Especially cast bullets which seem to stabilize better than jacketed for some reason. Still, I'd have to think the 200+ grain's are going to be less than ideal in that twist rate.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I figured they would be. Especially cast bullets which seem to stabilize better than jacketed for some reason. Still, I'd have to think the 200+ grain's are going to be less than ideal in that twist rate.
    I am not ever going to try and feed a 200 in a 357 mag. My max is throated for them but not the magnums.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote for the 180gr in the 357 mag Rossi.

Mine ran them well, save for the overall length...requirements were a bit more particular as compared to my Henry. A small hangup every once in a while.....nothing big if on the range.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

The length of the bullet bears consideration more than the weight.

In my Rossi .357, I load a RNFP, something of a misnomer since it cant have a round nose AND a flat point, anyhow, in solid form they weigh 180, small HP 172 and large HP 163. They all shoot fine at 100 yds. and work well in the field. This one was the large HP and came out of a hog.

I agree, experience trumps math and calculators.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder man View Post
    The Lee 300 grain works fine in my older Rossi .45, but the slim crescent buttplate makes it a bit unpleasant. Fine for hunting. Not so fine to shoot a box of 50 at a time.
    Being not young (OK more than a year or two over 70), I found that butt plate to be a problem for that rifle (a Taurus/Rossi R92), even with the 24" octagon bbl adding weight. Bought Boyd's Win 92 finished butt stock with pad and simply installed it. Not a perfect fit (would need some sanding and refinishing as it stands a little "proud" above the metal), but screws right on and much easier on my old shoulder.

Hope that helps.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master

I picked up a neat neoprene “recoil pad”. Its got foam slices inside and fits like a slip on pad. Being soft it dont much matter if its a crescent or shotgun butt. It cushions just enough it also lengthens just enough those short cold weather butt lengths.

Nice part it was like 10$ weighs nothing and fits well in the range bag.

Sorry there is no name on it. I have a couple of them now. Maybe Alazin search will
    Produce them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I shot some Speer 170 gr HC in a Marlin long ago over a case full of H110 . Do Not shoot that in a 6" Sec 6 , it's a rifle data load and very unpleasant in the revolver . Also it's labeled not for revolvers ........ I was young and stupid then .

The Rossi M92' has a 1-30 , the example I had was closer to 32" being a chamber length or so less than a half turn in the 16" carbine barreled 45 Colts .
    The 457-340 Lee sized down was minute of hog at 50 yd , in reflection a very honest 3" any given day , a custom .453-350 not so much . The 453-350 wasn't intended for this so it was just a trial anyway . The trouble with 250-265 gr bullets which shot great out to 75 yd and we're also great loads in the companion gun of the day . The issue was that they were supersonic and someplace between 78-82 yd , depending on the bullet shape, they were dropping into transonic tumbling and departing line of flight at about 40° and 10:00 missing an 8+' berm at 110 yd . As long as they were 1000 fps , @ 4100' MSL, or less all was well . When I went to Texas hog hunting the 1050 fps loads in my 7.5" revolver were off the paper at 50 yd but loads at 950 MV delivered the goods on target . This was why I tried the 340&350 was to get maximum energy and stay subsonic ........

Real applied experience vs books .........(as above)
    Load some and see what happens , Love life circa 05'.
    YMMV , a lot of smarter guys than me .

Keep them subsonic at the muzzle or supersonic all the way to the berm and whatever you shoot up to 340 gr will be ok and probably shoot fine . All bets are off if it doesn't .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .