Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there ANY appliance brands that arent junk?

Boolit Master
    Bosch, Jenn-air, Asko, Viking, Sub-zero

Boolit Master
    Not the element, took off the back, it wont broil either, unlikely both elements went out at once. Its the control unit, which is probably not cheap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Bosch, Jenn-air, Asko, Viking, Sub-zero
    I looked at getting a Bosch, but the lack of a heated drying option in the dishwasher turned me off.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In our cabin I have a USA made Brown LP gas range from Lehman's. Just two of us and needs are modest so it does the job.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/brown-gas-ranges/ranges
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I looked at getting a Bosch, but the lack of a heated drying option in the dishwasher turned me off.
    I don't ever use heated drying. For one it cost money. Second, all you have to do is crack the door after it's done and the dishes will dry all on their own. I hand washed for years and got a dishwasher when I had my first child.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I don't ever use heated drying. For one it cost money. Second, all you have to do is crack the door after it's done and the dishes will dry all on their own. I hand washed for years and got a dishwasher when I had my first child.
    As the lazy one who doesn't routinely do the dishes, I defer to my better half's opinion. I just use whatever settings she used previously and hit 'start' . Next you'll tell me all those buttons and dials on the washing machine actually have a purpose.

My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My wife and I are going through the same thing right now on a washer and dryer. We are moving in to a condo and have to decide on what brand to get. We want a top load washer but we have been warned about the "new" washers without an agitator for a couple of folks who have them in that they have problems with not enough water feeding in to get the clothes wet. We have Sam Sung washer and dryer in AZ and so far (knock on wood) we have had no issues and they are 9 years old. BUT, a friend down the street form us bought a new Sam Sung dryer a year ago and so far has had to have it repaired three times - something about a drive pull bearing gets too hot and burns out.

My folks had a GE refrigerator that was the first model they made when the compressor was moved from the top to the bottom - I guessing made in the 1940s? My grandmother used it and when she died, we moved it to our house and Dad put it in the basement and kept beer, etc. in it. They went to Florida every year and I would unplug it as it wasn't really "energy efficient" and each time I plugged it in, I figured it probably wouldn't work. But, when I sold my folk's house about eight years ago, it was still in their basement - running - and as far as I know, it is still working. They just don't make them like they used to - everything is "cheap" and planned failure - and let's face it, it's their way of selling more and keeping in business. And then when you do have problems, it's a PIA to find someone who can fix them.

Sort of makes you wonder if you shouldn't just buy a washboard and a wash tub! LOL

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    I had a Bosch dishwasher I bought at a discount because it was a floor model. Best dishwasher I've ever owned. Wish I had taken it when I sold the house, but it was a good selling point. I have no doubt it's still running like a top.

I'm not saying a word about the ones I have now, because you know what will happen....
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master
    Ok owner of a small heating cooling and appliance company here. I used to manage a large appliance company after I left the machine shop due to injury. So I will just say there is no one brand I would buy all of my appliances from.

The more bells and whistles they put on them the more there is to go wrong. You can't stay away from all the electronis on most things anymore but the less they control the better.

If you want information or part numbers for a unit go to searspartsdirect.com look up by model. Once you find the part go look on amazon. I'm surprised that sometimes they have it cheaper then my wholesale price from the parts distributor.

Takleberry, how are yo with a meter? Sounds like you have a relay out on the eoc but would need to do some checks first. Just send me a message if you want some help with it.

We have a Bosch dishwasher and washing machine, been about 8-10 years no problems with either of them and they are so quiet, barely hear them running.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Bosch, and KitchenAid. Have a KitchenAid dishwasher, and it's the best one I've had in 15+ years.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Speed Queen washers and dryers
    Old style designed to last for a couple few decades
    this.

Boolit Master
    Speed Queen wash machine they make one with out electronics I just bought one works great. Bosch dishwashers and Wolf stoves .

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    When my mom and dad got married they bought new top of the line Whirlpool clothes washer and dryer. 4 kids and 40 years later they still work fine. Few minor fixes, replaced a belt, stuff like that. They still worked when they moved out of the big house. But they looked old so they scrapped them.

I had a chance to see inside a repairman's book once. Planned life of a clothes washer is 8 years. Period. Same for the dryer.

In 20 years we have burned through 2 washers and we are on the third. Dryer still going strong.

Dishwashers and fridges are not much if any better.

Stove we bought Roper, Nat Gas, no electricity to the stove. Old pilot light style.
    Stove works when the power is out. And nothing has gone wrong yet in 20 years.

I don't think I could cook on electric. Propane or Nat Gas for me all the way. I like my heat on instantly and when I shut it off I want it OFF.

Have bought whirlpool pool since we've been on our own. Had pretty good luck. Our old washer an dryer was out of a barn at her aunt and uncles house. Lasted another 10 yrs. dishwasher was 15, and frig just went out last yr 18 yrs. I know they are more complicated but have done me well.

Boolit Master

We don't have kids so that may be a factor in the longevity of a lot of our appliances. Kenmore washer lasted 31 years, Kenmore dryer 35 years and still going. Frig, stove. dishwasher 27 years, and the winner is a inline Sunbeam inline toaster at 48 1/2 years and still toasting my morning English muffins and the wife's toast every morning too.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

The OLD Kenmore appliances my folks had ran and ran and were still running when we bought the place . Wife wanted something new. Got Maytag washer, lasted 2 years. Their repairman is NOT sleeping at the shop anymore...Got new Kenmore(made by Whirlpool for Sears), replaced element after a year still going. More bells and whistles and touchpad controls, the sooner they're junk. Buy a washer that uses a belt, not a clutch. Buy a dryer you can replace the element on without taking the whole danged thing apart. Stay with simple controls, no touchpads if you can even find something that simple. My dishwashers are still at the end of my arms. Still using a Hotpoint double oven that Mom bought in the 60's , used ! The kind with stovetop burners and a smaller oven where they hang microwaves now. Really handy at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Stone ugly in it's avocado finish, but since I do most of the cooking, you'll have to pry this stove from my "hot" dead hands !

Boolit Buddy
    Roper is the brand I have, was made by Maytag I think, 12 years and still going.

Boolit Master
    I was ASE certified in electrics, and do my own house wiring, built tube amps, so know my way around such things. The relays click, just nothing happens. We had some lighting hit close during the storms other day. it popped a few breakers, took out a brand new LED bulb in a bathroom. So could be that. I can do without the full size oven a bit. I have 2 small toaster ovens and one in my moms camper is 12in. Way better things to spend the cash on right now. Maybe after I get done fighting the ex in court.

As to the new top load clothes washers.

Our new LG unit has no agitator, and it "weighs" the clothes. Wife complained that it never added enough water. A couple of 2 liter pop bottles capped and tied together at the neck filled the tub to the top. Then she discovered there was a setting for large loads. That's what she is using now.

I will say that the clothes come out dryer. Impessive spin cycle. It also has a glass top which lets you see inside which is nice.

I think there are ways around the newer design but I think you have to be smart enough to figure it out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I was ASE certified in electrics, and do my own house wiring, built tube amps, so know my way around such things. The relays click, just nothing happens. We had some lighting hit close during the storms other day. it popped a few breakers, took out a brand new LED bulb in a bathroom. So could be that. I can do without the full size oven a bit. I have 2 small toaster ovens and one in my moms camper is 12in. Way better things to spend the cash on right now. Maybe after I get done fighting the ex in court.
    So your old appliance was junk and it is taking you to court to boot. Yipes. what brand was it?