Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Mec presses

In Remembrance

Talking Mec presses

Yesterday I was working across the ally from a fellow I occasionally have lunch with in conjunction with a good friend. He called me overand asked if I would be interested in 12 and 20 ga. presses for free, oh , twist my arm. They are a Mec 600 Jr. with auto primer feed in 12 ga. and a Mec porgressive 20 ga. with auto primer feed. Both had the bottles full of powder and shot ( Red Dot, 12 ga., Green Dot, 20 ga.).Then he came over with Wads (100 12 ga., 750 20 ga.) primers and a bag full of AA 12 ga. hulls. Said he didn't have time to reload anymore and knew I would use them. I'm going to have to treat he and his wife to a steak dinner at Simon's Catch, best steak house in this area, also good fried catfish and shrimp. The nice thing about that is I get to eat too. LOL. DALE

Most excellent score.
    I've been looking at these.
    Are they a good press for low voume loading?

Boolit Buddy
    dale, great find, xr650 Mecs are excellant loaders, I've got 3 650's and two 9000g's.

We've got 2 650's (one in 12 and one in 20) that have had thousands upon thousands of rounds loaded on them. When I lived at home (and shot was cheap) I would bulk order powder and shot. I shot a box of shells EVERY DAY. That's right...25 shells every day, minimum.

We had 2 pigeon throwers, one going straight out and one coming from the side. Boy do I miss living on the farm! We also have a 25 yard handgun target, 100 yard steel plate and hanging target, 300 yard steel, and 450 yard rifle targets.

In Remembrance

I already had 600 Jrs in 20 and 12 ga. I also have a Pacific progressive that is the original of thr Hornady366? It does the best reloading job of any press I've seen. It's hard to afford reloading shotshells now. I probably won't wear these out any time soon, but I have enough shot, wads and powder stockplied to load a few thousand rounds. I will try these presses out over July 4 th., Have to go to wife's family reunion this weekend. DALE

I have the 600 Jr too. Its a nice press for the price. I've loaded lots with it without issues, until recently, and the issue is the 40+ dollar shot prices.....

I have enough #5 to last me and the boys a lifetime for hunting purposes.

Yep, our family outings usually include a little clay shoot'n.

Great find...Good on You!
    Sprue ™

Thanks for the info folks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xr650 View Post
    Most excellent score.
    I've been looking at these.
    Are they a good press for low voume loading?
    Can't go wrong with a MEC for low volume. A 600 jr can still load 4 boxes an hour.

Alchemist
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master
    I've loaded thousands of 12 ga & even a bit of .410 with mine. I about wore it out and then saw one at a garage sale for $40.00 with all the goodies. Funny, we were driving by & I spotted the handle sticking out of a box & said, "Hey, a shotgun loader!" I also picked up a nice little sixgun holster with ammo belt for a .22 for $5.00! brag brag...

I think that Mec makes a crimp as good as any I've seen and better than most.
    Last edited by Newtire; 06-26-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spell

MEC's are hard to beat for the money. I have a Sizemaster that I have loaded 12 guage on for close to 20 years. Reloads look and shoot as good as factory shells. And, even though it is a single stage, I can crank out 5-6 boxes and hour once I get in my groove. Thats more than enough to keep me shooting for a couple months.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, Mec ia durable press, I've reloaded 1000's of 12 guage with blackpowder on a Jr. . Just a note, you can still get a short kit for Mec if you want to reload the old 12 ga 2-5/8" shells or 10ga 2-7/8"

Boolit Master
    Dale, you must be living right, nice. I snagged a lightly used 12 ga. 600 Jr. in Rapid City will on vacation 2 weeks ago for $55 and thought I scored well...maybe I did, but not nearly as well as you!!!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Mold
    the mec presses are awesome i have 9000g and 2 versamecs they just work and work and work, only real problem with the 9000's is after a crapload of shells the hydraulic indexer needed to be replaced abot $12 anda few minutes time. The only bad thing is the die set prices for conversions a few years ago they could be found for around $30-40 now i see they want over $100. sucks i didn't get a 410 or 20 ga. a long time ago.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 myself; a 600 JR, a Versamec, and a Sizemaster. All load great shells, and I have a bunch to do. Check feebay for used die sets; sometimes you can get a deal on one.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master

I have owned 2 MEC 650's and 1 Grabber reloaders. They load excellent shells, especially the crimp, the critical part. They are very good machines but they do wear out. One of my 650's broke the bar that holds the powder and shot bars and both of them bent the middle support ram. The Grabber is still going strong after several thousand rounds of 12 gauge. My son has it now. I can only say that the MEC's have given me good service for the money spent but they are made of fairly light weight materials and they will wear out. Unless you are a regular Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays competitor, you are not likely to wear one out. My experience anyway. James