Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Anybody modified a lubrisizer?

Anybody modified a lubrisizer?

So far I've added a 3/8" diameter bolt in lieu of the push up rod, which now allows me to at least have the bullet rise to the top of the sizing die and affords easy removal (why Lymann didn't do this I'll never know!).

I'm thinking of reaming out the threaded washer that we crank down to force out lube. I would ream it out so it slides freely up and down the threaded shaft. Then above it I'd put a hefty spring and above that a threaded washer of some sort. Now, by cranking down on the shaft, the spring compresses and applies constant pressure on the now freely moving plunger assembly which should squish lube out for many more bullets without having to crank it on virtually every round.

It's harder to explain than it would be to make. Has anyone ever done this before or made some other sort of constant pressure apparatus in order to ooze lube? (I know, by a star - I'm too cheap and besides, I have a Lymann so I gotta tinker!).

Anyone?

I have seen different pictures of mods to feed the lube. I think one even had an air line going to the shop compressor.

Boolit Grand Master
    The spring loading you describe is similar to the Star luber system, except for the fact that the Star has a second high pressure pump. Not to discourage you, but I don't think a spring alone can supply enough pressure.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    The spring loading you describe is similar to the Star luber system, except for the fact that the Star has a second high pressure pump. Not to discourage you, but I don't think a spring alone can supply enough pressure.
    Even if the spring could provide the pressure, how would you get it to compress?? I think you would need some way to compress the spring prior to tightening the washer.

FWIW - I'm a psychologist, not an engineer, as my son the aeronautical engineer reminds me.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus
    Mugsie,

Check this out by Cabintree, it's already been done and apparently works well.....

John

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

Lyman

THANK YOU CABINTREE IT WAS:AND THE PRICE IS RIGHT
    WILDCATT

Boolit Buddy
    has anyone drilled the sizing die like is suggested in the lee reloading manual?

Boolit Master
    Thank you Grandsrus!!!

I definitely tagged that web sight for future drooling!!

Three 44s

Saeco Lub and Sized (Redding) is made with just such a spring feed lub plunger. Have one for 30+ years. Great unit !
    Mr. Bill

The two mods I make are to the the dies. I drill out the centre of the ejector pin ("I" part?) and cut a small slot across the bottom so that lube doesn't build up under the bullet bases. Also I make the pin just slightly shorter than the die that, way I can centre the bullet over the die cavity easily.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.