Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MiHec .223 boolit loads?

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by 69papatango View Post
    ok, thanks for the reply...I will have to keep my eyes open for one.....any suggestions?
    I have a Mini Mark X in 223 with a 1x12 barrel and built one of my Armalite Rifles with a 20" Wilson 1x12, 5.56 barrel. I have one of the 4 cav first group by molds for the Nato boolit. ( well over 15,000 cast from it, supplied several friends with 8000 ready to load ) They cast of my WW alloy ready to load at 62 gr. They shoot great in booth rifles with same load as listed above, simple green lube. I have a six cavity coming in the 4th buy. The loads listed above "werks fer me" just fine.

Size them as large as chambering will allow, I water drop them. I chamfer the necks with a Gracey case trimer. I do not bell necks even with .265 sized boolits.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Mold
    It seems like most people try to stay around 2300 fps. I've always been told to keep most rifle loads under 2100 fps to minimize leading. I'm very new to casting/reloading and just got a 55 gr .225 Lee mold. I'm a little nervous about where to start. At what speeds (roughly) am I going to get accuracy without building to hot of a round?

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Soap, your rifle will tell you.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    Hey All...

I just found this thread, and glad I did... I don't have this mold, but have a HMM in 62 grains that I size in a .226 die (a little spring back, and they're .2265)... This is a gas check design; I've powder coated some, and I've used polymer (Hi-Tek) on some... I shoot a pattern at 25 yds, not a group... BUT, I haven't actually put a gas check on them...

The photo of the green PC'd boolits in this thread are a little fuzzy; I can't tell if this is a plain base design or not... if so, I may only need to use a GC to get a "group" instead of a "pattern"... for you powder coaters, do you treat your loads any differently for these boolits??? One post said to use coww, water dropped... that'll make a hard boolit; does the heat of powder coating soften your boolit again?? I'm pretty sure that curing a polymer coating at 375 degrees is lowering BHN. Low-temp powder cures at 250 - 300 degrees.... can't remember if that's true for the Harbor Freight powder, or if it's a high temp powder (450 degrees) which would surely soften the boolits... And do you guys get a smokey trail out of your barrels from a PC'd boolit??? I did, but I don't recall anyone talking about that from their AR's...

Thanks for all the info!!!

Boolit Bub
    From my understanding, if you bake a little longer at 400 degrees, like 45 minutes, then water drop you will regain the hardness.

Quote Originally Posted by 69papatango View Post
    I'm in on the 4th run on this mold, and got it for my AR and will probably be a few months before I get to cast any.
    So, I probably gunna guess these won't chamber or stabilize in a Remington 700 action with a 1-12" twist correct?
    If you size them properly they will chamber in you 700. I have also shot this boolit in two 1-12" twist rifles and one 1-14" twist rifle and all three were show no sign of lack of stablization. It is also a very accurate design, if you do your part.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Do not bake too long your tiny boolits will warp and melt
    stay frosty