Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Some success....more work to do

Boolit Master

Some success....more work to do

Now I am finally getting some good results with my paper-patching project. I am trying to find a paper-patch load with a plain-base 170 grain, BHN 15, flat-nose bullet....that will give me good accuracy and about 2000- 2100 fps. The bullets are cheap....no gas-checks required....and a load like that will be a good light deer load (approx. on par with a 30/30 load). I have settled on re-sizing the the .324" diameter bullets to .314"....then patching with ordinary lined notebook paper....to a final (dry) diameter of between .324" and .325". This, with a charge of 24 grains of IMR-3031, plus about 0.5 grains of cotton wool, seems to be accurate in my newly - rebarreled M48 (8mm Mauser). I have more testing to do, but so far, so good. I also need to chrono my load, once I settle on the best charge weight. I also have found that powders like 2400 and Unique are simply too fast to get the results I need with this bullet, in my rifle anyway. But, I am seeing some positive results.... which is encouraging.

coool! Thanks for the overview. Is there any chance that harder boolits might help? I've read here that 50/50 WW/Pure which heat treats to about BHN 23 expands controllably at that 2000-2100 fps. velocity. Surprisingly, the low antimony lead is malleable, and expands but isn't brittle even though it's hard.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Harder bullets might help...or not, I can't say. I am not having any problems that would indicate that the bullets are too soft, anyway...so that seems not an issue of consequence at the moment. As it is, I have to do more testing to find the best powder and charge weight....and then chrono the load to see if I am getting the results (velocity) I need for hunting, while getting acceptable accuracy. The whole point of the exercise is to make use of these cheap plain-base bullets....not to modify the bullet "formula". I do not cast my own bullets and I cannot do so - so that is not an option for discussion here.
    I made a mistake when I listed the charge weight, in my first post (of this thread). I stated 24 grains of 3031......actually it was 30.0 grains of 3031. So, I should be fairly near the velocity I need....I just need to refine the charge weight, to find the "sweet spot". There is no sign of any problems - the paper patches are definitely shredding and falling away as the bullets exit the barrel - and the barrel is remarkably clean after shooting these. Accuracy is actually quite good....4 of 6 shots in the last string grouped within 1.5" (the other two were not so close, but that MIGHT only be due to the fact that I am using iron sights - they were still all in the "black" on a standard SR-1 target, at 50 yards). My calculations indicate that I shouldn't have to exceed about 32 grains (of 3031), in order to get to about 2100 fps. As for the bullet hardness, I have no doubt that a BHN- 15 bullet will expand at these velocities (better than a harder one) ...so why re-invent the wheel ? If I get the velocity I need, with acceptable accuracy, then I will have a viable load (for my purposes).