Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder! Really!

Boolit Grand Master

Powder! Really!

Made my usual weekend trip to Cabelas today and something stopped me dead in my tracks. Powder. Lots of it. Other than a pound of IMR 4227 and possibly the WSH all of it was rifle powder. David (Cabelas reloading guy) said they got over a hundred pounds in a few days back and there were over a dozen varieties on the shelf, they even had to add a shelf. There were at least four varieties each of Norma and Accurate, pretty much unheard of in this store. WW powders included not only 748 but 760 and Super Handicap. Approx six each of some popular Hodgdon and IMR, even a few eight pound jugs. First time in a long while they've had more powder on the shelf than I did, if only by a little bit.
    On top of that I had the pleasure of visiting with a couple of gents who had some of the same tastes in cartridges but totally different experiences with powders; seems they were familiar with many of the powders I knew little about and vice versa. We even talked a bit about the new Enduron and CFE powders. Neither of them were even remotely interested in CB's but other than that they were good guys, lol.
    We even saw and talked about S&B primers. Can't recall ever seeing them or even reading about them, even David hadn't seen them before.
    Oh, yeah. I scored a couple of pounds of Accurate 4350. My good friend (and enabler) from Mississippi, 35 shooter, has been telling me about this powder so I thought it best to try it for myself. My 30-06's (j-word guns) seem to prefer H4350, my 35 Whelen seems to like IMR 4350 and I figured it was time to try the "other" 4350. The differences are admittedly slight but they are noticeable and make this reloading game more fun. I also scored a hundred pieces of WW 30-30 brass. I started loading that cartridge as a lark a few years ago and I've decided to take it seriously and lay in a supply of brass. My brother has been sending his once-fired WW 30-30 brass up to me and I have 45 pieces in the sonic cleaner after a pleasant sizing and trimming session in my loading room. They'll soon be headed south as loaded ammo, just haven't decided how to load them.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, this a good read. Did somebody open a gate, or what?

The old 30-30 WCF is among the lead-friendliest rifle calibers in existence. There is MUCH about it to enjoy. I've used it to take several deer, and EVERY deer I've taken in my life could have been humanely dispatched with the caliber. I should keep such statements on the down-low, given the safe full of greater and lesser calibers in an array of action types and makes.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

For many years I didn't feel the thutty-thutty was worth my time to reload. RP Core-Lokt ammo (good stuff!) could be had for $6-8/20 and they shot plenty good in my little Trapper. Actually still have a few boxes of factory ammo but I prefer my handloads now. My Trapper will likely remain a J-word rifle or a safe queen but my Marlin 336 was purchased as a CB project and has been a lot of fun. It was tempting to buy a pound of CFE 223 for this project but I have plenty of LVR, Rx7, 3031 and other powders to push boolits with.
    I've been reading similar reports from other parts of the country, feels good to see it firsthand.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Saw a vendor at a gun show this weekend that had 1 lb Unique, Power Pistol, Bullseye, Varget, several different IMR powders and other rifle powders. He also had 8 lb jugs of Green Dot. He said he had gotten $7000 worth of powder from his distributor last week. That was the most powder I had seen at a gun show in several years. All of it was running about 23-24 a pound and he was selling quite a bit of it. One guy bought 2 8 pound jugs of Green Dot while I was standing there.

Maybe things are easing up out there.

Banned
    My local powder place had quite a few different powders in stock. Mostly rifle powders, but a few handgun powders too. I scored some 2400 there.

I stopped in at Shooter's Outpost on Rte 3 in Hooksett NH and their reloading section had virtually everything! I asked about 8lb jugs of 748 (in stock) and 231 (in stock). The only 8 lb'ers they did NOT have was 296. Had 1lb cans though. MANY Lee moulds and casting accessories. MANY reloading presses.
    That is a GREAT gun store. Lots of inventory and accessories. Highly recommended.
    Free plug there, Jim.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    Yep, powder is showing up again. Despite all the doom and gloom if you leave the market alone it will always fix itself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Yep, powder is showing up again. Despite all the doom and gloom if you leave the market alone it will always fix itself.
    Yessir, the manufacturers sure as h--l left it alone for a good long while.

Here's hoping that all those hobbyists who have run short on their favored fuels start "getting well" on this apparent resurgence of stock.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

TxGunNut, did they have any Alliant 2400 on hand? I haven't seen as much as one single pound of 2400 since Sandy Hook, down here in SE Texas.

Been looking almost daily on Gunbot and I've had good luck there on all my usual powders EXCEPT 2400. I've tried substituting with appropriate charges of AA 5744, H-110 and IMR 4227 but with only limited success.

I'm down to < 1/2 lb. now and I'm holding on to that for my .44 mag hunting loads. I used most of my 2400 in my AKs with the Lee 155 gr. but not any more... Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Glad you found some aa4350 to try...i'll be watching for the report on it! My brother in Co. is using it to fuel his H&R 35 whelen. The aa powders are supposed to be very consistent from lot to lot from everything i've heard.
    Lol i think it probably pays to have all three 4350 powders on hand just for the preferances of individual rfles.
    I haven't seen the aa4350 in stock around here in a while, but i'm keeping my eye out for it.

Good to hear the powder situation may be finally getting better!!

Local cabelas last w/e had about a half dozen bottles. Stopped by today andthat same endcap was entirely full of powder. Probably over 20 different rifle powders. One bottle of wsf was on the shelf at $25, not too bad, but zero pistol primers of any source

Boolit Master

We even saw and talked about S&B primers. Can't recall ever seeing them or even reading about them, even David hadn't seen them before.
    I have been told, but not confirmed that S&B primers run a little bit larger than other brands (in diameter) and seating requires a bit more force but the problem seems to be going back to the other brans after using S&B's. The claim was they slightly enlarge the primer pocket and other primers can be loose as a result. I have no personal knowledge about his clam but am hesitant to order any until I can find out for sure. Grafs had a good sale on them recently but I declined to order until I can get some definitive answers on the question. Anyone using them encountered any problems?

Boolit Buddy
    been using S&B for about 6 months now, large and small both, no troubles at all, seat just as smooth as CCI and better than Winchesters, IMHO. They're not plated, but the brass is polished pretty smooth, feed thru my Dillon 550 and vibra prime like butter, they're my preferred primer now.

I finally hit the right time on gunbot and did get some 2400 but have had a couple pounds and some unique on back order at Lohman's since July. Order was for 2# of Unique & 2# of 2400 and some primers to help soften the hazmat fee.

I hit gunbot every chance I get, at least a few times a day, and a few at night and I have been watching for at least as long as I have had that back order at Lohman's just this week hit at the right time to get some 2400.

There was some other useful powders at the recent gun show over by Lansing don't recall exactly what. Did get some 4198 and they did expect an order in middle of last week that was going to have some pistol powders in it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you scored some 2400, RogerDat. I have a couple pounds on the shelf but can't recall the last time I saw it in a store. My local Cabelas has about 100 #'s or H110 coming in this week, among other powders.

Boolit Grand Master

I think the powder situation is getting better, 35 shooter. Yes I must admit smokeless powder technology fascinates me. After studying on that awhile I'm amazed that BP works as well as it does. I guess I'm easily amused.
    Turns out that was some very expensive powder, had to go back today to pick up another levergun that was begging me for a ride home.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ffries61 View Post
    been using S&B for about 6 months now, large and small both, no troubles at all, seat just as smooth as CCI and better than Winchesters, IMHO. They're not plated, but the brass is polished pretty smooth, feed thru my Dillon 550 and vibra prime like butter, they're my preferred primer now.
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I think the powder situation is getting better, 35 shooter. Yes I must admit smokeless powder technology fascinates me. After studying on that awhile I'm amazed that BP works as well as it does. I guess I'm easily amused.
    Turns out that was some very expensive powder, had to go back today to pick up another levergun that was begging me for a ride home.
    Yea, ya gotta watch those powder buying trips lol!
    On the other hand i've heard that lever guns, just like 30/06's, are never a mistake.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I thought I was reading about me there!

I went into a Cabelas a while back looking at powder ...... found a Marlin waffle top .35 Rem.

Had to go back a few days later ...... had my heart set on it ......... it looked to be gone!

Found a Savage 99 in 300 ...........

Finally found the Marlin .......... brought it home ........

The Savage was sending signals ......

Went back and got the Savage a few days later .......

(I had been pining for both of those for quite a spell ......... ).

Best regards

Three 44s

Banned

Treetop:
    take a look at AA-4100 or Enforcer.