Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kansas Concealed Carry Law Passed

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States

New Kansas Concealed Carry Law Passed

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-...e17223761.html

Kansas updates CC law. No permit or training required.

not a bad article considering the source ( wichita flea/fleece and beagle - a liberal bastion in an otherwise conservative region ) sadly many of their sheeple swallow their leftist tilt entirely too much...
    ol' sam signing it was a foregone conclusion , he said he would if it made it to his desk ( with or without the training part that they had been haggling over )
    the funny one was when old kathleen signed the one allowing us silencers , she detested that but it was tacked onto a bill she really wanted
    erm also funny was when they ( current state gov. ) made municipalities come into compliance with state laws regarding gun rights ( oh how the leftist cried over that :P )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

Good news.

Boolit Master

No permit CC, silencers, switchblades...all legal !!!

*sarcasm on*
    The streets will run red, I tell you ! RED !!!
    *sarcasm off*

red ... sure beats black and blue ( or dead )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

I've been living in Kansas about 20 years now give or take and love it for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is people here tend to have good, solid values. More so than anywhere else I have lived. I really don't think this is gonna change Kansas very much for good or bad, but I do think it reflects a great mindset of people here to trust its citizenry and for folks to be self reliant.

Boolit Master
    Good! I like Kansas, except for the plains.

Vendor Sponsor

In other news, "how to run a movie theater out of business." Cut off the popcorn? I don't think so. Ban Rasinets for fear someone might choke on one? Maybe. More like maybe not. Ban firearms inside the theater, taking away citizens' Constitutional rights? Bingo.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I've been living in Kansas about 20 years now give or take and love it for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is people here tend to have good, solid values. More so than anywhere else I have lived. I really don't think this is gonna change Kansas very much for good or bad, but I do think it reflects a great mindset of people here to trust its citizenry and for folks to be self reliant.
    I was a lifetime resident of Colorado. Things there got so crazy I packed up and moved next door to Kansas 3 years ago. The mindset here reminds me of the Colorado I grew up in. A lot more of that trust and self reliance I had been missing in Colorado.

In other news, "how to run a movie theater out of business."
    Not it Wichita. That guy has the theater market cornered here. He can do what he wants, I won't darken his theaters doors.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a little iffy on the lack of a training requirement. Good people with good intentions sometimes do bad things if they don't know how to properly react in a bad situation. I've been legally carrying for almost 35 years now, most of that as a LEO, I'm also one of the very early Texas CHL's. Some of the best training I got was in a CHL class. I fear that an untrained person may set a good movement back a few steps with a bad or even questionable shooting, that's all it will take. I wish you the best in KS, just hope you know what you're doing.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

When I was on the subcommittee writing the training regulations, shooting test
    and written test (I wrote all the questions with one other member) I did some serious
    research about other states. About half the states had training required for CCW
    permits, and the other half had no training requirement. Zero difference in
    bad shootings by CCW folks.

Sounds entirely reasonable, but like "they will have shootouts over parking places" and
    all the other BS claims of the antigunners, it does not stand up to reality -
    decades of actual people really carrying guns with and without state mandated
    training.

SHOULD people get training? Of course, I have paid for many training classes,
    but it does not show up in any measureable statistics. Perhaps because a lot
    of folks who carry do pay for their own training, but also because "law abiding
    citizens" are just that, and the reality is that most folks are more sensible as a general
    rule than most people give "the average idiot" credit for.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

On one hand I applaud what Kansas has just done but on the other had I wonder how it is going to effect reciprocity ? Prior, one with a permit could carry in Kansas, Colorado and Nebraska. Each state respected the other state's licensing system. Some states, New Mexico for instance did not like how Colorado conducted their training ( or for what ever other reason ) and did not recognize the Colorado issued permit. Now that Kansas has eliminated the training altogether will other states that require training now recognize the Kansas person in their state ?
    Facta non verba

Boolit Buddy
    The training hasn't been eliminated, if you want to carry in other states under the reciprocity laws, you still must have a valid license and have taken the required course, the new law only applies in state. That's why I'll keep my license regardless.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master

Fred has it right. Essentially all states, with the exception of Vermont,
    that have Constitutional Carry have kept their normal permit system in place
    so that their citizens who travel to other states can have a permit to show
    in those states. AFAIK, only Oklahoma has made an exception where citizens
    from Const. Carry states can carry in OK by just showing their "government
    issued ID" (typically DL) to prove that they reside in the Const Carry state.

Vermont is the exception because they were the only state that resisted the
    1800s antiweapon hysteria (originally primarily focused on knives) that made
    carrying a concealed weapon illegal. Vermont (one report says because of
    the particular wording of their state constitution, not sure about that) did not
    ever remove the original Constitutional Carry freedom that all states originally
    enjoyed and now a few are FINALLY returning to.

Check out the Wikipedia page on "Constitutional Carry" - it has a lot of info on
    what various states are doing in the arena. Const Carry seems to be making
    great strides.

Actually, I am quite amazed at the near total collapse of the antigun forces in
    Kansas, and in many other states as well. Seems that after decades of hysterical
    news articles predicting massive amounts of violence if ordinary folks were
    given back their right to carry a concealed firearm, they had pretty much poisoned
    the well - when it did not happen, they had no other arguments.

A significant portion of the people opposed to loosening concealed carry regs
    were not antigun, but were genuinely convinced that the hysterics were right
    and there would be a big upsurge in shootings over parking places and such.
    When it did not happen, these folks shrugged and went on, and are no longer
    willing to believe the antigun hysterics. Each year and each decade that we
    have large populations of ordinary citizens going armed daily, we build an
    unassailable database of hard proof that the 'fear the average person' concept
    is wrong.

When I worked many years for CCW in KS, I occasionally told some of my
    closer friends that I was working for it for two reasons. The first was the obvious
    reason that there will be times when a good guy stops a crime because he/she
    were able to be armed. This is an unalloyed good thing.
    BUT the second, and even then I said it was more important to gun rights in the
    long term, was that each year that we have many thousands of ordinary citizens
    carrying guns and bad things do not happen, we bury the lies of the antigun
    hysterics deeper and deeper under a crushing mound of facts - that honest
    citizens CAN be trusted and are safe and reliable in the overwhelming majority
    of the cases.

Here we are only 8 years after KS got a concealed carry system, and we were
    able to switch to Constitutional Carry with almost zero pushback from the
    antigun folks. A few short articles interviewing the Brady campaign with a few
    silly comments about "it will not make us safer to have more guns on the street",
    and that was it. Passed the first time and will be the law in a few months.

We are slowly, but surely undoing the antigun laws of the past.

There are still a few states where the crazy antigun folks are in charge, notably
    NJ and CA, with around 6-8 more that are nearly as bad, primarily in the northeast.
    I never thought that Illinois would have concealed carry, but they do.

We are winning - but I still feel for the folks in CA and NJ.
    Last edited by MtGun44; 04-04-2015 at 10:35 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Moderator Emeritus

It is almost impossible to change the mentality in NJ. You would think since we have a Republican Govenor with a bully attitude that more would be done, but he gas had his eye on the White House for a long time.

Boolit Master
    "The streets will be running red with blood!" the liberals cry. What they really mean is the blood will be coming from their own voting base not from the honest gun packing citizen who's vote they won't have anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I'm a little iffy on the lack of a training requirement.
    No requirement here and there are no issues due to the lack of it. Most responsible people get training. And remember that a lot of us grew up shooting our entire lives. Any form of paid training requirement is a hurdle to exercise your constitutional right.

As much as I don't believe what I hear in the LGS. Most of them tell new shooters about training. They explain they should get it and where it is. In this case they're being very responsible.

Banned

"SHOULD people get training? Of course, I have paid for many training classes,
    but it does not show up in any measureable statistics. Perhaps because a lot
    of folks who carry do pay for their own training, but also because "law abiding
    citizens" are just that, and the reality is that most folks are more sensible as a general
    rule than most people give "the average idiot" credit for."

Amen, Brother.

Boolit Master

Thanks for your input, guys. Come July, I hope things don't get real interesting...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    Thanks for your input, guys. Come July, I hope things don't get real interesting...
    Things did not "get real interesting" in the other states that passed Constitutional Carry in recent years/decades. As someone who lives in KS, I can tell you that KS isn't the kind of place that will buck that trend. Constitutional Carry does not mean that prohibited persons can carry a gun - those are the people that are A) already carrying today, illegally, and B) who are committing the crimes. I don't see this change in the law increasing that population in the slightest, but I do see how those prohibited persons might think a third or fourth time (they were already thinking twice with CCL in place) before trying anything funny.

I know I'm preaching to the choir...