Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Which powder for 38-55 Model 94

Which powder for 38-55 Model 94

I just purchased a modern Model 94 Legacy with a 24" .377 barrel and want to shoot nothing but cast bullets for hunting. I have bought several types of cast bullets sized 379 in the 264 gr weight to try. BHN ranges from 15 to 22. I want to hunt deer with this rifle so one of the bullets is a hollow point, one a LFN, and the last a gas checked flat point. I have numerous powders which look to be in the approximate burn rate that I need including IMR 3031, H 4227, H4198, H-322, V-133, IMR 4895, 4759 and just a tad of Re-7 but not enough for more than 10 loads at most. Looking for 1600 fps for the softer boollits if posible to 1800fps with the bhn 22 LFN. I have dacron filler as well from my days of loading for the venerable 45-70. Also though I am not sure I want to go that way I have fffg and ffg with thoughts of a duplex load using 4759 or some other powder. I bought a set of RCBS Cowboy dies but I do not have a compression die. OK, if you gentlemen will input this data into the brain trust please indicate what might be the best place to start. Thanks. Tom

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For expansion in hunting loads I prefer an alloy no harder than 13 BHN, and would prefer softer if I can get a load which shoots well. An alloy of 1 part linotype to 4 parts plumber's lead performs well. All the powders you have will work, but for heavy hunting loads above original black powder velocities You can get good results easier using the slower powders, 3031 and RL7 being good choices.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-19-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Many folks prefer to use black and that is ok for the cartridge was made originally to function with that. My own preference has been to use 3031 and 4227 at velocities around 1200-1300 and I am satisfied with the results. No the powder charges do not fill the case and a slight roll crimp is necessary to keep things in place with a tubular magazine. Recoil is moderate; I use Lyman 37548 and an original Winchester mold and shoot both unsized. LLS

I only use black powder in my .38-55 now, but I used 3031 for hunting loads and both 2400 and 4759 were really accurate as well. The .38-55 is a great cartridge and one of my favorites.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats on a classy rifle!
    My first 38-55 has seen only BP and the Lyman 380681. My latest seems to be getting along OK with 3031 but I'm sure other powders like 4227, 4895, Rx7 and LVR are worth a try as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Loads I worked up for my 20" barrel is a 265 Ideal # 375296 gas checked over 29 gr. of 3031. This load passes through the chrony @ 1600 fps and on 100 yard target it holds 2 1/2" groups. With a 24" barrel expect a few more FPS out of this load. This is a hunting load and not recommended for range use, more than needed for paper targets.
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe I would keep things simple and start (and maybe end) with 3031.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I like IMR 4198 the best so far. IMR 3031 and H 4895 gave me good groups with a few bullet types, but also left a small amount of unburnt kernels in the barrel. IMR 4198 burns clean and gives me groups under 3 inch overall spread at 100 yards. I use a Millett red dot now, I can get smaller groups with a standard 1 inch scope.

Thanks for the replies. What would anybody recommend for a duplex load? We sometimes want to make magnum rifles out of rounds that put lots of venison on the table with blackpowder! I assume I will have to compress any bp loads to get optimum results.

I use 3 grains of imr 4759 under my BP loads. Shoots amazing in my 22" 1885 highwall. Same load with the lee 250rf or rcbs 312 bps mold. I know the rcbs won't work for your lever, but the lee would and it shot really good from a 94 .375 winchester I used to have. And I do compress the load.

blackpowder man, what granulation of blackpowder did you use. I would be tempted to try fffg in that bore size but I have both ffg and fffg. Do you use a wad on top of the charge? If you are going to hunt with a bp cartridge then I am not opposed to shooting bp! Tom

Boolit Master
    I have had great luck with both MP5744 and Rel 7 depending on whether I want lower velocity or higher velocity..

Boolit Master

I liked 4198 as it burned clean. 4759 is very good also, either straight up or in duplex, if you can find it. I would not hesitate to go 1 or 2 0.001" over groove size.