Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: White Label RED and Commercial Red?

Boolit Buddy

White Label RED and Commercial Red?

I started out with BAC and it was way to soft so swapped to Red
    The last Red I got still stayed sticky after even a month / monhs. So was thinking of going of Commercial Red
    I do use it mostly on slow med 380,9mm, 45acp, 45Colt. But do also like to just use one lube so use it as well as 357 mag 44 mag and Gas checked rifle bullets.
    I would also not want to change to commercial red to get rid of he stickiness and not have it work as well as the regular red does. As it works well other than staying sticky. {IE} The performance of the regular Red leaves the guns clean and no smoke and no leading. It is good stuff! It is normally not a problem that it stays slightly sticky for my own use. But do give some to friends and family and they do not like that slight stickiness.
    I did get a few stick of Jake's Scarlet Ceresin to try, but see looking here t gets mix reviews. From might as well use crayons to is great stuff. So how does it compare with the Lar's White Label Red or Red Commercial?

Boolit Master

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    I started out with BAC and it was way to soft so swapped to Red
    The last Red I got still stayed sticky after even a month / monhs. So was thinking of going of Commercial Red
    I do use it mostly on slow med 380,9mm, 45acp, 45Colt. But do also like to just use one lube so use it as well as 357 mag 44 mag and Gas checked rifle bullets.
    I would also not want to change to commercial red to get rid of he stickiness and not have it work as well as the regular red does. As it works well other than staying sticky. {IE} The performance of the regular Red leaves the guns clean and no smoke and no leading. It is good stuff! It is normally not a problem that it stays slightly sticky for my own use. But do give some to friends and family and they do not like that slight stickiness.
    I did get a few stick of Jake's Scarlet Ceresin to try, but see looking here t gets mix reviews. From might as well use crayons to is great stuff. So how does it compare with the Lar's White Label Red or Red Commercial?
    It works well for you, but your friends don't like the lube on the free bullets? I 'memmer an old saying about looking a gift horse in the mouth...

I'd stick with what works well for me (and I do use C Red for most of my cast bullets from .38 Spcl. to 30-30) and if my friends didn't like my gifts, oh well...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I was having issues here in Phoenix in the summer heat so developed a modification to Carnuba Red. I use the Magma brand lube and mix it with the CR and it worked on all of my cast boolit loads.
    I used 1/3 by weight of Magma lube to 1 stick of CR in a container. This does not come off the boolits even when shipped when temperature are well over 100 degrees and is not sticky.

Boolit Master
    If sticky bullets bother you, look into powder coating.

Boolit Grand Master

If sticky boolits bother your friends and family members, just stop giving the ingrates free boolits....that will stop their whining and complaining.

You know my mom always taught us to never look a gift horse in the mouth....if someone is kind enough to give you something then you were to be grateful and thank them for it.

She also said " some folks will complain if you were going to hang them with a new rope." Not exactly sure what that meant , but figured it had to do with people who just enjoy complaining about everything.

A dusting with Motor Mica powder will help with the sticky.

Gary

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I was having issues here in Phoenix in the summer heat so developed a modification to Carnuba Red. I use the Magma brand lube and mix it with the CR and it worked on all of my cast boolit loads.
    I used 1/3 by weight of Magma lube to 1 stick of CR in a container. This does not come off the boolits even when shipped when temperature are well over 100 degrees and is not sticky.
    , i also found CR a little to tacky for me , I mixed CR with Magma 50/50 , when the magma is gone i will get WL commercial red

Boolit Grand Master

People have mixed Carabuba Red w/ commercial red to get rid of slight tackiness. I'm going to says it's location dependent as far as the proportions go.

Boolit Master
    Nearing the end of my supply of Rooster Red, I tried the highly-recommended Carnauba Red and found it to be way too sticky for the way I lube. Using a Star, I just push them through into a waiting box. They just stick together and the lube pulls out when you separate the boolits.

Next I tried Commercial 160 and it, too, was too soft for the way I work.

Finally got some Commercial 190 and that seems to be working well. A little stickier than Rooster Red, but at least the boolits aren't sticking together. I do have to turn the heater plate under my Star to its highest setting.

As always, YMMV.

Richard

Boolit Buddy
    How are you guys that are mixing the Carnuba red with magma, melting it down ? double boiler ?? I bought a little cheap crock pot at a going out of business sale, but haven't tried it yet, need to check what temp it gets to.

Fred
    Last edited by ffries61; 03-19-2015 at 09:51 PM.

In Remembrance

For quite a few years now I have been melting 1 solid stick of C. Red with 2 sticks of solid center BAC. I melt this mix in an old coffee pot I had on an old hot plate. I keep stirring the mix on low heat till all melted then pour the mix in my Lyman 450 sizers. After about 3 - 4 hours I start lube sizing. This mix is not "Tacky" and I have driven it up to mid 2000 range FPS with no leading. NO TACKY - NO MORE!Robert

Boolit Grand Master

If straight CR is to tacky for the OP then a 2 to 1 mix w/ BAC definitely will be. Mixing w/ BAC just makes the CR softer. For what he wants he's going to have to mix it w/ a hard lube.