Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Summit press: It does exist!!!

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Your bench is built wrong if this is happening to you. Anchor it properly and you have no issues.
    Or use the Summit press.

Boolit Master

Love Life,

My primary single stage press is currently a Rock Chucker II which still feels like new even though it hasn't looked new for a few decades. I have no need for on the press priming. Would this be a good trade for a RCII? I'm constantly trying to destroy my right kneecap on the RCII.

I like it and have enough Cabela's points that don't seem to be very useful these days. They don't carry or are out of stock on everything I would like to buy but they do have the Summit in stock. How feasible do you think it would be to fabricate a new shell holder adapter to let the primers drop through the center of the press so they are completely contained with no chance of escaping?

I'm on a mission to eliminate spent primers going to the floor on all of my presses.

Thanks,
    David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    I got the RWB from midway #0014. Waited to post because there were some issues with it that RCBS resolved quickly (cracked upper casting). Played with it a bit before I sent it back to be repaired and liked the press overall. I ended up giving the RWB one to my father and ordered another for myself. It is a good quality press, but for heavy sizing/forming of cases, I think I will stick with the RCII. Not sure how favorably it will compare to the coax that it is sitting next to. Time will tell on that one.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Love Life,

My primary single stage press is currently a Rock Chucker II which still feels like new even though it hasn't looked new for a few decades. I have no need for on the press priming. Would this be a good trade for a RCII? I'm constantly trying to destroy my right kneecap on the RCII.

I like it and have enough Cabela's points that don't seem to be very useful these days. They don't carry or are out of stock on everything I would like to buy but they do have the Summit in stock. How feasible do you think it would be to fabricate a new shell holder adapter to let the primers drop through the center of the press so they are completely contained with no chance of escaping?

I'm on a mission to eliminate spent primers going to the floor on all of my presses.

Thanks,
    David
    David,

I just now saw this and apologize for taking so long to respond.

Is it a good replacement for the RCII- I've never used a RCII, but I have found the Summit to be a very good replacement for the Lee Classic Cast. Using the Summit, I have had no issues loading ammo from 9mm to 8x57. I've even tested it on sizing machine gun fired 308 brass (sized fine but I wouldn't make a habit of it). No bench overhang was a huge selling point for me. Where the Lee Classic Cast, and probably the RCII, beat out the Summit press is bullet sizing with lee dies and case forming.

The depriming system on the Summit will not need to be modified. I have loaded a bunch of rifle and pistol ammo on it, and have not had a single primer escape to the floor. The only downside to the depriming is that the primer catcher doesn't hold much. No biggie. It's quick to remove and dump.

I highly recommend you get the short handle as well. When you get the press, spend a little time fiddling with the linkage as it allows quite a bit of adjustment. I use the Summit press to load my 1,000 yd ammo, and it has exceled at that as well.

I really can't say enough good about the press.

If you have any other questions please let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability/knowledge.

Thank you,
    Dick

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Trash View Post
    I got the RWB from midway #0014. Waited to post because there were some issues with it that RCBS resolved quickly (cracked upper casting). Played with it a bit before I sent it back to be repaired and liked the press overall. I ended up giving the RWB one to my father and ordered another for myself. It is a good quality press, but for heavy sizing/forming of cases, I think I will stick with the RCII. Not sure how favorably it will compare to the coax that it is sitting next to. Time will tell on that one.
    Based off of my notes, the Summit (at least mine) hangs toe to toe with the Forster. The Forster die swap is the bee's knees though!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The Forster die swap is the bee's knees though!!!
    You can use the LNL bushing in the Summit. I do.

The short handle is for bullet seating but I can see other uses for it as well. What I like is I can operate it left handed. The only other press in my collection that can do this is the COAX. I like the zerk fitting and hear the newer 550s have this feature. I have used the shorter handle and you get a better feel at seating but not as much as the K&M arbor press allows me to feel but more so than my other presses.

RCBS stated the Summit is not made to replace the RC.

It has been posted in another thread that the Summit is very similar to the Wamadet press. It sure looks like it.

I have mine mounted to a RockDock and it is a joy to use. The 2" ram is quite heavy and as stated earlier it is top heavy. It will be the press I take to the range to work up loads from now on.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, the coax die change kind of spoiled me. I mainly got the summit to use as a range press for working up loads away form my normal loading equipment. I definitely like the way it can be mounted with no overhang.

The slight overhang and jaw swaps on the coax are the only negatives with the coax for me. Both presses are excellent and I am sure will be turning out accurate ammunition 100 years from now.

Love Life
    Correct in that the short handle is for bullet seating. I also use it for expanding case mouths on pistol ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Just tried out Pat Marlins Checkmakers in the Summit. It works well, but you can't run the auto eject plunger that fits in the forming die. I just pulled the forming die from the shell holder, turned it over and used the ejector from the bottom to eject the completed gas check.

It is a bit slower than running them on the rockchucker, but other than the ejection issue, I like the Summit more for making gas checks. Maybe someday, someone smarter than me will figure out how to run Pat's checkmaker dies on the Summit more efficiently.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    David,

I just now saw this and apologize for taking so long to respond.

I really can't say enough good about the press.

I highly recommend you get the short handle as well.

If you have any other questions please let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability/knowledge.

Thank you,
    Dick
    Dick,

No worries. I've been hooked up pretty hard and am just now getting back to this.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just spent my Cabela's points. This is the first thing I've actually wanted that they've had in ages. Of course, they don't seem to have the short handle in their inventory. If it's the same diameter as the other handles I'll modify one that I already have.

I'll add to the thread when it arrives. Thanks!

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I ran across this product...for guys wanting to use the Wilson type dies.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-arb...ess-09294.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I ran across this product...for guys wanting to use the Wilson type dies.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-arb...ess-09294.html
    You ROCK! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Did I say THANK YOU?

Ordering one now!

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I saw that when I ordered the short handle for my Summit Press the other day. Cabellas didn't have any.

My Press just came in and is #106.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    I saw that when I ordered the short handle for my Summit Press the other day. Cabellas didn't have any.

My Press just came in and is #106.
    Hi,
    I have to ask! Why would someone with the nicest (and biggest) Hollywood collection want a (I'm under whelmed) Summit Press????
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    I have to ask! Why would someone with the nicest (and biggest) Hollywood collection want a (I'm under whelmed) Summit Press????
    A few reasons:

Design- it is NOT like a Hollywood as others have said it is, just because it has a 2" ram, though puny compared to a Hollywood. However, it is a totally different design, aka,Walmadet (sp?), whatever that foreign press is. Being a collector that intrigues me.

I also think down the road this press may not make it and become a collector's item, especially the Red/White/Blue limited edition.

Three, I've been curious from the get go. It sure is smooth and has the footprint no bigger than your hand. And it's not a knee-knocker.

Four - Red,White, and Blue is just Cool. It don't hurt that proceeds go to Vet programs.

These reasons may not sell you or convince you. Not trying to. But maybe you'll understand how my Press Addicted Brain works!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a Summit from Brownells and a Hornady die bushing conversion.....

Love Life
    Enjoy it!! The more I use the press, the more I realize how much I love the dang thing. Silky smooth!!

How do you inspect a press to see if it is concentric has no excessive deflection?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    A few reasons:

Design- it is NOT like a Hollywood as others have said it is, just because it has a 2" ram, though puny compared to a Hollywood. However, it is a totally different design, aka,Walmadet (sp?), whatever that foreign press is. Being a collector that intrigues me.

I also think down the road this press may not make it and become a collector's item, especially the Red/White/Blue limited edition.

Three, I've been curious from the get go. It sure is smooth and has the footprint no bigger than your hand. And it's not a knee-knocker.

Four - Red,White, and Blue is just Cool. It don't hurt that proceeds go to Vet programs.

These reasons may not sell you or convince you. Not trying to. But maybe you'll understand how my Press Addicted Brain works!
    Hi Lube,
    Well...you guys enjoy,I really like ALL presses as a general rule! This one didn't really make me want to sale my Hollywood and buy one. Wish they had made it bigger and taller. At least it would of loaded everything up to 50 cal and filled a nich. Everyone else could of just bought a RC and been done with it!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    You know seagiant, the Hollywood design you have there is really neat and makes me dream a bit. What makes the Summit unique is the fact the the die moves up and down and the shell remains stationary. I believe the Dillon 1050 is the only other press that does that.

Looking at the Hollywood design, instead of attaching the linkage arms to the bottom shell station but running them to the top die station...the die would then move up and down, the shell would stay put and the mechanical advantage would be even greater.

Hey! Anyone a machinist?!