Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any harm in shooting cast through a brand new barrel?

Boolit Master
    Don't think it's an issue to shoot only cast from a firearm. CZ 550 Safari in .458 Win mag - the only jacketed bullets through it were at the factory. The bore looks new after several thousand cast and paper patched boolets down the pipe. That's a hammer forged barrel, just for information's sake. Zastava re-arsenaled M24/47 (new M48 barrel screwed on at the arsenal about 1949 - '50 or so and some wood work done) Nothing but cast plain base and gas checked, with maybe a few paper patched down the pipe. No issues. Barrel looks new. Those folks at Factory 44 know how to make a barrel, BTW.

I don't think it matters with a new barrel. The firearm is going to settle in, in any event. Once that stable bore condition is achieved, you're golden. If the firearm won't settle in, it needs some paper patched to polish it out a bit or it needs to go back under warranty. My humble opinion, anyway.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It just depends on the barrel. Some shot cast well from the first. Some needed some fire lapping. No problem, a dozen shots with something like LBT lapping compound, and you're good to go.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    A load that works very well in my Ruger 77-357 is Starline brass, CCI 500 primers, Saeco 382 158 gr SWC sized .359, and 6.0 gr of green dot and crimped in the crimp groove. Very consistent .75" groups at 50 yds with the scope. I think a change of primers would shrink it just a touch more, but I have a lot of CCI 500's. All I have shot through the gun has been cast since it was new and it seems to have broken in just fine. The gun is stock except for floated barrel and some trigger work.
    Last edited by Island Trash; 10-25-2013 at 02:20 PM.

I don't think more than half of my guns have any jacketed through lol

Banned

Barrels are made for cast, need I say more?

Lead bullets have been shot from new barrels since there were barrels. Shoot the heck out of it and don't worry.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

My marlin guide gun has had nothing but cast through it. I pass a wet patch through, then a dry one. Done.

No copper fouling, no leading. Simple and effective. Love it.