Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: gas checks on a star sizer

Boolit Mold

Red face gas checks on a star sizer

I would like to up grade, to a star sizer. my concern is there any issues of seating gas checks? then sizing with it?

Boolit Master
    Absolutely not, sizes, crimps on gas checks, and lubes, all in one pull of the handle.

Boolit Master
    Carl, you will love it.

Boolit Master

no problem seating gas checks ! its actually easyer than lyman, rcbs or saeco units
    ive lubed & sized & installed GC in one stroke well over 10,000 GC bullets with the star with match grade accuracy from handguns & rifles

I've been using my star for conventional bullets for some time now, but once the weather breaks, I'll be casting again, and have acquired a Lyman 358156 GC mold. This will be my first outing with gas checked bullets. Besides the Star, I also have a Lyman 4500 which I used to good effect until lured by the speed of the Star.

My question is should I size, lube and install checks with the Lyman, or is the Star viable for this operation? If it is, do the bullets then have to be placed into the die base/check first, or will things work OK if the bullet and check are inserted nose first as done with a PB bullet?

My sizing dies are the flanged variety from Lathesmith.

Any experienced input most appreciated!
    Last edited by Cadillo; 08-27-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    I've been using my star for conventional bullets for some time now, but once the weather breaks, I'll be casting again, and have acquired a Lyman 358156 GC mold. This will be my first outing with gas checked bullets. Besides the Star, I also have a Lyman 4500 which I used to good effect until lured by the speed of the Star.

My question is should I size, lube and install checks with the Lyman, or is the Star viable for this operation? If it is, do the bullets then have to be placed into the die base/check first, or will things work OK if the bullet and check are inserted nose first as done with a PB bullet?

My sizing dies are the flanged variety from Lathesmith.

Any experienced input most appreciated!
    Still size nose-first with the star when using a GC, the GC slows me down quite a bit but I am still faster than a friend sizing plain base with his RCBS. PB are literally as fast as you can pick and place over / into die and pull the handle. Make sure your finger is clear when you pull (IT really hurts when you jam the punch into your finger)
    Once you get the heat (if using harder lubes) and punch adjustments figured out they are the cat's meow.

Thanks for the input regarding the gas check seating. I've had the Star for some time and have sized thousands of bullets with it already, just no gas checked ones.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent that it works, I was wondering the same thing!