Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 24 / 47 Mauser & Saeco #61081

Boolit Master

24 / 47 Mauser & Saeco #61081

Got the Yugo Mauser out this weekend and did a little plinking with it. Walking through the woods and sniped at random rocks, pine cones and chunks o' wood. What a blast! I keep forgetting how accurate this combination is. Range doesn't seem to matter, 50 yards to as far as I can see.

This combination does not seem to be sensitive to load, powder or anything else. It just shoots. I've loaded up 5744, Varget, IMR4895 and H4895, various seating lengths and a couple of different alloy hardness's. I use Lyman #2 or a little harder as a rule. Pretty much the same results with all of the combinations tried so far. Bang, smack, grin.

I did try sizing these down and paper patching, with essentially the same results. Bang, smack, grin. More time consuming to produce for the same results though, so I stopped doing that, mostly.

These are shot at a velocity of right about 2,200 - 2,300 fps, and regulate with the military sights pretty well.

The Saeco is a gas checked design, with one large grease groove. It weighs in at about 195+ a little grns with my alloy and checked / lubed. I seat them so that the gas check is right at the base of the neck, which puts the crimp groove about a 1/16th of an inch out of the case and the bore riding nose into the lands a bit. No crimp and neck sized only. You do have to be a little careful as any more COL and you can start pulling bullets if you extract an unfired round.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Super Moderator

..............Sounds like you're doing everything right! That's certainly a respectable load, and no doubt.

I have a pretty nice M24/47 with a good clean bore, I believe it's stocked in Elm. The only problem with it is that it has a .327" groove!!! I have to use the Lee C329-220-R slug to get it to do much of anything.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Nice looking rifle there, Buckshot! I noticed that it has a Cavalry stock on it. That's unfortunate that it has a big bore though. These things can be real shooters. Mine has become my favorite "walkabout" rifle. I should post up some pictures. The rifle has a walnut stock and an elm hand guard. All of the cartouches are nice and clear, and all of the numbers match except for the floor plate, and of course, the barrel. Who ever did the re-arsenal work did a really nice job. They put an M48 barrel on it that is tight, 0.312 / 0.323". The only unfortunate thing is the neck size of the chamber is large enough that I need to neck size to seat a boolit. Got lucky though, the bolt out of my M48 headspaces out at only 0.002" longer than the 24/47 bolt...it's nice to have a bent bolt to use. That straight bolt makes packing it in the truck a little less than handy with all of the other camping stuff.

I do get a little wash of lead in the bore with these loads, but it comes right out with a couple of passes with a bore snake.

Good rifles and a good cartridge. It's too bad that they aren't as cheap as they used to be.