WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 223 reduced loads with Unique

223 reduced loads with Unique

I'm trying to reduce the cost of my AR plinking, and will shortly start reloading for my 223. I will use Lee's 55gr bator mold, gc'ed. I have found load data on other fourms that show as little as 6.5 gr of Unique, but the Alliant site does not list anything for the 223. If I'm trying to reasonably cut costs, what starting load should I use, or should I pick s different powder? Thanks for any help.

Boolit Grand Master

The 6.5 gr Unique load will push 1900 fps +/-. Depending on your ARs twist accuracy may or may not be useable, functioning of the action is questionable also. If you want an inexpensive load I suggest Bullseye at 4 gr +/- for 1450-1550 fps, again depending on barrel length and twist. It will not function the action but is a very od and accurate load in my 9 and 12" twist ARs for plinking and small game.

Larry Gibson

I will supply length and twist info when i get home tonight

14 inch barrel with 1/9 twist

Boolit Grand Master

If you want functional reliability the start with 16 gr of H4895 or RL7 with a 1/3 gr dacron filler. Work up in 1/2 gr increments until the action functions reliably. Best accuracy will be at that point (probably in the 1800 - 1900 fps range. Or for useable accuracy (may or may not equal accuracy of M193 type ball) start at 20 gr of RL22 and work up to 23-24 gr. No filler is needed. May be alittle "dirty" but it will functiona and push the velocity up a bit.

If you just want an accurate load and don't mind single loading then go with Bullseye or Unique as discused. With the shorter barrel and shorter gas tube you may or may not get the action to function with top end Unique loads.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    i found a load for my rem 700 .223, and i was using Reddot, but i don't remember how much i used. someone here recomended it to me. i sold that rifle years ago, and i don't recall much about it, other than it was accurate.

Boolit Master

Unique won't cycle a mini 14 or AR style weapon but it was fun trying. I have had success with 13 grains of SR 4759 but even greater success with 14 grains of IMR 4227. According to Lyman #49 this load going 2193 fps at 23200 CUP with the Lyman 225415 55 gr boolit. As far as using Unique for bolt action or single shot rifles it worked great. It effectively turned my mini into a straight pull bolt action. Good luck and have fun. Frank

In Remembrance

6.5 grains of Unique and the LBT .225/60 SP shoots accurately in both my Handi with 1 in 12" twist and my Colt AR with 1 in 7" twist. As mentioned above, the Unique load does not operate the action on the AR but loads that do shoot all over the place.