RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubing Bevel Base Bullets

Lubing Bevel Base Bullets

I have heard that bevel base bullets are a nightmare To lube. Some say it is A mess to run them thru a lubrisizer and some dont. Theres got to be a way to do it maybe pan lube? How do you guys do it?
    A Poacher Is A Thief... And We Are The Victim.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jason30-30 View Post
    I have heard that bevel base bullets are a nightmare To lube. Some say it is A mess to run them thru a lubrisizer and some dont. Theres got to be a way to do it maybe pan lube? How do you guys do it?

I used to use the Lyman 4500 and just ignore the extra lube. Despite what you have heard it will not "kill" your powder. ( At least not within a year. )

Since I discovered Lee Liquid Alox, I have just about retired the Lyman sizer.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I don't consider it a big deal, at all. It takes but a second or two to wipe it off with a rag or paper towel.

In Remembrance
    I tumble-lube most of mine.

Exception is my 200SWC for my .45ACP. It has a slight bevel base and I just wipe its little beveled butt on a Scott shop (paper) towel after it comes out of the Lyman 45 and keep on going.

I no longer cast nor reload for quantity anymore, but more for fun, relaxation and the challenge of "building the better cartridge," so any second or two spent extra wiping a base means little to me.

Boolit Master

Seriously, just buy a Star. Alternately, send your lyman sizer die to Lathesmith and have him make a new pin that the bullet will fit into.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    You can try a piece of styrofoam tray.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Or Cardboard !

Quote Originally Posted by WHITETAIL View Post
    You can try a piece of styrofoam tray.
    I tried it, and it worked for a short period, but too fragile. I then cut my gaskets from thin cardboard from the boxes that Zip-Loc bags come in. Works so well that I even use them when sizing flat base bullets. All bullets, beveled and flat come out with clean dry bases, and much faster than wiping.

I will though eventually graduate to a Star. Hopefully right after Christmas!
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Grind the bevel out of the mold and polish 'er up. If it slightly oversized, run 'er through a push thru die first, then lube 'er.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Banned

If you use a lubrisizer like a Lyman or RCBS, plug all the holes except for the top "plane" of them in the "H" die with solid-core solder cut into short pieces and peened in against the ejector. Set the depth stop to align with the grease groove on the boolit exactly with the holes, or if the boolit has two grooves, align the holes with the band between the grooves, the holes are bigger than most any driving band is wide and the lube will feed to both grooves at once. Use the wrench to only apply pressure once the boolit is in position, then release pressure slightly before ejecting the boolit. Don't get the lube too warm or it will flow too well.

Gear

Boolit Bub
    I find pan lubing them leaves their bases clean enough. (Grease and beeswax 50/50 mix.) Plus it's fast if you're shooting them as cast without sizing.

Boolit Mold
    Dittos on both of Happy7's recommendations.

The Star Sizer and bevel base bullets were meant for each other. It is the "best" solution and it's a lot faster too.

If money is a big issue, the Lathesmith suggestion is by far the cheapest.

Forgive my sinfulness (in using j-words) but since I do and the bore is rust pitted and the rifle is fitted with a non-removable suppressor, I dip lube the bevel base of the j-words into molten 'waxy-lube' so as to lube the bore and coat the inside of the suppressor. I get zero copper fouling with this trick.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    I then cut my gaskets from thin cardboard from the boxes that Zip-Loc bags come in.
    Is this a disk or a ring that you are cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    If you use a lubrisizer like a Lyman or RCBS, plug all the holes except for the top "plane" of them in the "H" die with solid-core solder cut into short pieces and peened in against the ejector. Set the depth stop to align with the grease groove on the boolit exactly with the holes, or if the boolit has two grooves, align the holes with the band between the grooves, the holes are bigger than most any driving band is wide and the lube will feed to both grooves at once. Use the wrench to only apply pressure once the boolit is in position, then release pressure slightly before ejecting the boolit. Don't get the lube too warm or it will flow too well.

Gear
    This works especially well with RCBS dies, they have a single row of lube holes.

Quote Originally Posted by dbldblu View Post
    Is this a disk or a ring that you are cutting?
    A disc. I take a decapped and unsized case of appropriate caliber and chamfer it inside and out so as to sharpen it. I lay the cardboard on a piece of leather, old belt or other, place the case mouth down on the cardboard and hit it with a small mallet, which cuts a disc of proper size. I cut two or three and then punch them out with paper clip or small stiff wire through the flash hole.

I place the disc on the sizing die plunger shiny side up and then put the bullet on it and size as usual. I find that running the least amount of lube pressure as is possible is a big help. I usually get about sixty bullets sized before I remove and replace the disc.

Sounds like a lot of work, but is a lot better and cleaner than wiping bullet bases in my experience, and definitely faster. I'm using a Lyman 4500 for now, but I so want a Star.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

I recently gave up and took the drill bits to my 452-230-TC. The one test cavity looks pretty bad but after sizing and lubing, I feel they look more than good enough for my purposes.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Thanks Everybobody For The Tips Im Going To Try Them To See How They Work
    A Poacher Is A Thief... And We Are The Victim.

Boolit Master
    +1 on pan lubing. I like the bevel.

Boolit Master

be careful about the extra lube that you might have on the base of the bullet. I had enough in a 44 mag round that melted into my case, fouling the powder and cause a squib load. This was no the way I had intended to end my day at the range. My Redhawk was pretty warm and it melted the excess lube into my powder. My advice is to wipe the excess lube, doesn't take but a second to do.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    +1 on pan lubing. I like the bevel.
    Looks just like boolits that went through a Star!

No looking back, 4 Stars.

Bliksem