RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Pan Lube and LLA?

Pan Lube and LLA?

I've been panlubing with Billy Darr modified and have had great results, but was wondering if LLA plus regular lube would ever have a use. I used both on some Lee 430-310 without a gas check in front of 13 gr. of HS-6 in my Smith 629 in 44 mag and there was no leading, however I was getting no leading with my 429-240 Lee with just Billy Darr lube, so I don't know that it was necessary.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use pan lube and LLA and if so what were the results?
    "The three things most dangerous for an outdoorsman's health are cigars, logging trucks, and know-it-alls." -Pat McManus

Boolit Master
    Just to clarify your question, are you asking about pan lubing with Billy Darr first then tumble lubing with LLA?

Yes, I should have been more clear. In theory you could pan lube (with your preferred lube) and then tumble lube. When I lubed the Lee 310 I tumble lubed and then hand lubed each bullet because I had heard that LLA doesn't do well with high pressure/velocity loads.
    "The three things most dangerous for an outdoorsman's health are cigars, logging trucks, and know-it-alls." -Pat McManus

Hmmm, isn't WWVA basically Darr lube with LLA and JPW added instead of RCBS case lube or STP?

To answer your initial question, NO. LLA will only add smoke and goop. Flame on!

Boolit Grand Master

For the record, it's "Barry Darr" not Billy Darr.

Darr lube is not known to be a particularly effective lube in high velocity uses although a number of Schuetzen shooters have used it with good effect.

Over the years, I have used NRA 50/50 lube with excellent results (no leading, but what is more important, excellent accuracy with demanding equipment). I made up my own for years (for a number of years, I had a source to buy one gallon sizes of 2138f and just added the beeswax from local beekeepers).

In fact, the only complaint I had was it had a rather low melting point and you had to be somewhat careful with it during the hot summer (couldn't leave it in a car trunk where temperatures often exceeded it's melting point).

When I went to Lars White Label Carnauba Red (it has a higher melting point) it answered all of my needs for both target pistol use as well as high velocity rifle use. Under the circumstances, when you also consider the very reasonable price, I have found MY lube - and-d-d, it is CARNAUBA RED.

Dale53