Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: m95

Super Moderator

.............This is about the best I've done with my M95, but I haven't touched it in a considerable amount of time. One possible problem with the Lee C338 - 205 - R is that the lube grooves bottom out at .315" which is about the bore diameter in a lot of the M95's.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

I'm suprised no one has told you that Bruce (BRP Enterprises - see Vendor section) has the Oldfeller mold that Buckshot used available for individual purchase. It is the mold for the M95 Steyr. It does take 338 gas checks - Blammer has had them, I don't know current availability.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    yer iv,e heard tell of the oldfeller mold ,i think that is worth lookihg into,thanks W.S,

Boolit Buddy
    I ended up with two of the M95s in 2010. In April a local fellow called with a really nice one for sale with 650 rounds of 1939 dated Nazi ammo, still in the Nazi clips, still in the Nazi 10 round boxes, still in the Nazi wooden crate. Then my father in law passed away and unknown to us he had another M95 in his closet.

I haven't fired either yet but I bought Graf brass and 100 jacketed bullets, and the Lee mould. Its all sitting here waiting for "spare time."

You guys keep talking about them here so I'll have someplace to start.
    Mike V.

Boolit Master
    hey mike if that "spare time " doesn't come soon you know that nazi ammo may self destruct lol , you might aught to let me try some before it goes boom,.
    all jesting asside thats an impressive stash you have ,get some time and have fun, thats what i would do anyhoo!.
    have a great night .adrians

Boolit Master
    I have a small quantity of the Nazi stuff bought at a gunshow 25 yrs. ago, I didn't have the gun then, just thought the ammo/boxes was interesting. After getting a M95 I found that shooting that old ammo wasn't fun at all, kicks like a mule, but still works. Mike, save yours for an investment, sell it later and go to someplace warm for a vacation. How about a feature article on hunting with cbs in Hawaii? Maybe pick a gun that would have been used there a hundred years ago. What did the whalers shoot? Or the big shots at C&H?

Boolit Master

I bought all the reloading stuff of an old fellow when he passed away and ended up with a sealed tin and one that was almost full of 8x56R ammo. I decided I better go see about getting the rifle and picked one up for less than $100 out the door at Big 5. Fun little gun, got some dies and brass to start loading PB bullets with it.

Neal in AZ

Super Moderator

...............A 208gr spitzer boattail (a VERY modern looking slug) at 2300 fps from one of those small M95 Stutzens is pretty entertaining

Mike, .............."I haven't fired either yet but I bought Graf brass and 100 jacketed bullets, and the Lee mould. Its all sitting here waiting for "spare time."

If you mean the Lee C329 - 205 - 1R, it 'might' work as mine and those I've heard of from others is that they seem to drop at .330" give or take a smidgen. The 'might' part is again, from my 4 Steyrs and other folks is that the grooves are more normally seen to be .332". However if you had 5 of'em and checked, all 5 could vary from each other!

Since the bores appear more consistent at .315", when the boolit fully engrave there is considerable lead being moved around which may help in what's an otherwise marginal situation. Their chambers can also share in the outsized dimensions. A fired case from one of my M95's will allow a slug for a 338 to drop through.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

The Nazis marked ammo is real stout. I was firing a 95 over the hood of my truck and it was lifting me right off the hood.
    The Lee 329 mold take 8mm gas checks, not 338 just in case you get this mold. I lapped one out so it drops .331".

Boolit Master

The bore on mine slugged at .3315, and I just got gas checks and a sizer in .332" (thanks Buckshot!). I sized a few boolits, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I'm in the middle of school work, still sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to hear about a job, and we have a fussy baby that seem to think day is night and vice-versa.

When I first got my Lee moulds, I cast some at .329 and tried them out, thinking maybe they would work OK for a light plinking load. No such luck - terrible accuracy and even worse leading. I lapped and beagled the moulds to about .332. If I get a chance to try them out in a few days, I'll report back.

Boolit Master

Steyr M95 sticky bolt

Quote Originally Posted by MilSurpFan View Post
    I had the link at one time... have to look again. The extractor has a tab that drops in a notch on the bolt body (inside the bolt). This keeps the bolt head at full extension until the bolt is closed. Also keeps the bolt heads from jamming aganist the lug races while working the bolt. They are a bit um.... "finicky" but really neat rifles.
    It finally hit me. Something must be wrong with the way my bolt is assembled, it binds hard when closing and opening. That's why I had the impression it's a noisy sucker to run. But the way it is can't be right. Any advice on properly assembling the bolt or what to check? I'm ready for another goround with this old gem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try this link for bolt problems.
    http://www.ryngate.org/M95/
    Just honing the trigger made a world of difference.

Boolit Master
    Thanks abu, that link is a little gold mine.

Boolit Master
    great link thanks ,when i looked at my bolt sure enough the right lugs bottom edge was just a tad lower than the extractor (my bolt was a little stiff ) ,so i filled it down to flush and the bolt seems to operate a little smoother and its easier to cock .thanks again ,adrians

Boolit Master
    OK, I'm admitting a dumb thing. My M95 bolt is fine. Here's how I fixed it; After starting the bolt back into the action, I pushed down on the bolt handle a bit, the action holds the bolt head and the twisting finishes setting the bolt head into it's proper alignment. Easy smeasy, smooth again. Now I can get to work on that trigger.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Try this link for bolt problems.
    http://www.ryngate.org/M95/
    Just honing the trigger made a world of difference.
    Thanks abunaitoo, that is the exact link I was referring to earlier. Been so busy with work I neglected to search for the page.

Boolit Bub
    I just checked the bore on my new acquisition..... slugs at 333 to 334 in the grooves and 318 across the lands. The slug comes out looking sort of square, with rounded corners..

I am up for a 338 mold then, just have to custom up a sizer, and neck size die for the cases.

Oh the joys of casting your own!!

Chrispy

Boolit Buddy
    My M95 carbine slugged at .316/.334 so I bought some .338 dia. cast bullets and sized them in a Lee push-thru sizer opened up to .335/.336 dia. I bought 100 new brass from Grafs and have been using 13 grains of Red Dot for plinking loads. Hardly any recoil compared to surplus ammo. I have not checked accuracy other than making pop cans fly.
    kyswede