MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m95

Boolit Master

m95

morning .
    i just got my 1st steyr m95 (i'm a mauser guy but hey it was a steal so i snagged it up ), anyhoo what do i need to get this thing up and running ,
    i got plenty powder,, ect,ect, need dies and a good mold and brass .
    any M95 guys out there in cyber land if you could be so kind to advise me in my new endevour i would be awsomely over the moon .
    this rifle is for fun plinking only i know it won't shoot the eye out of a gnat unless i'm not aiming at it then i t probably would

In Remebrance

Try the Lee 338 mould. Their 329 mould is usually too small. Their push through sizers can be opened pretty easily to .332 or more if you need it.

Boolit Master
    thanks bret 4207,
    will order the mold , and dies (sometime this year )lol.
    might try e-bay to see if anything there would be o.k any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    Most of the 95s currently on the market are in 8X56R but some of the older ones (:ike the one I got) is in 8x50R. You should make sure which you have. Most of the ones chambered for the 8X56R have an S stamped on the receiver ring. They are dandy little rifles and can be made to shoot well.

Boolit Master
    morning, yep mine got de "S" i'll slug the critter befor i go any further to see how big he really is !

Boolit Master
    I tried the Lee 338 mold but had trouble getting it sized down to .334 (my bore is .3315). The guys here will tell you that it likes larger boolits than .001 over bore dia. due to the deep rifling. I already had a .329 Lee mold that dropped at .331, so I lapped it out using Wheeler 220 compound and it drops at .335-.336 now. I have a .338 checkmaker on order from Pat Marlins. Since I use the Lee die set I cannabalized an expander plug from a 338 Winchester die and chucked it in a cordless drill and carefully turned it down to .332 using 400 grit emery paper. This is as far as I've gotten so far with mine. Going to wait till I have checks before I shoot it.
    Last edited by wallenba; 12-06-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    wow! sounds like a little bit of "backyard" rocket science to me ,but if that what it takes to get mine rockin i'll print this post out and read again when i get "tooled up "lol.
    thanks wallenba.
    have a great day....

Boolit Bub
    I've been using the Lee 338 unsized, unchecked lubed with LLA and with 10 grains of Trail Boss.

The neck in the rifle I am using is so large that after firing, the .340" diameter bullet usually falls straight through the unsized case necks. It's BIIIIG.

Seems to hold around 2" groups at 50 yard. Not terribly impressive, but easy on the shoulder and plenty entertaining. Does slightly better with jacketed loads but the recoil can get stout.

Boolit Master
    Keep your eye out for clips, grab them when you can. The guns are nice, well made, but, I wonder sometimes what they were thinking. In a combat situation sometimes a guy might need to be quiet while working the bolt. I don't know how he would do that, these things require a snappy yank to open and close. That said, it's a powerhouse of a load in a light gun, might be a good dark timber elk gun or even bear.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Keep your eye out for clips, grab them when you can. The guns are nice, well made, but, I wonder sometimes what they were thinking. In a combat situation sometimes a guy might need to be quiet while working the bolt. I don't know how he would do that, these things require a snappy yank to open and close. That said, it's a powerhouse of a load in a light gun, might be a good dark timber elk gun or even bear.
    Yes, getting the Mannlicher clips is a bit more expensive these days and the rifle is a pain to use without them. I have had decent results single loading by placing the case with the rim a bit in front of the bolt face so it balances on the follower. When the bolt is closed, the rim will slide up under the extractor nicely, just take it easy.

The bolts should be easy to work on these rifles. Often, the bolt is not set up correctly and this will leave the bolt head rotating under spring tension and binding against the lug races in the receiver. If you pull the bolt out and the bolt head snaps closed immediately, you know you have a problem.

As far as noise goes when the rifle was designed nobody was thinking about sneaking around being quiet. Just was not a consideration.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by adrians View Post
    wow! sounds like a little bit of "backyard" rocket science to me ,but if that what it takes to get mine rockin i'll print this post out and read again when i get "tooled up "lol.
    thanks wallenba.
    have a great day....
    In the mean time if you just want to test it out, AIM Surplus has Privi Partisan FMJs for sale. Pretty pricey, but you'll need the brass anyway. Firing full-house jacketed loads will probably also convince you of the wisdom of shooting cast in these rifles.

Boolit Master
    hey milsurp it's funny you mention the AIM ammo cos i got some on the 21st ,two boxes .
    i have heard of its legendary kick so i think when i "get rid " of all the j-boos i'll be downsizing my handloads quite a bit (my shoulder hurts from an afternoon mauser shoot!) .
    got dies ,,got powder,, got well everything but boolits,but i will fix that little problem very soon.
    have a great xmas and a groovy shooting new year.adrians.

Boolit Man
    adrians,

neat gun, fantastic price and just weird enough to really enthuse me.

i 'beagled" my lee 8x56 mould, opened lee's push-thru sizer to .331 and lube my gas-checked castings with liquid alox.

i found clips here: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=5932. milsurpfan gave you the info on how to single-load without messing up the extractor.

i tried my fave load of 17 gr of 2400 with the m95, but it needed a bit more oomph. 20 gr works well, giving me "minute-of-milk jug" accuracy at 100 yds, offhand. velocity is 1800 fps and the bore shows no leading.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...

Quote Originally Posted by MilSurpFan View Post
    The bolts should be easy to work on these rifles. Often, the bolt is not set up correctly and this will leave the bolt head rotating under spring tension and binding against the lug races in the receiver. If you pull the bolt out and the bolt head snaps closed immediately, you know you have a problem.
    Mine does that, i thought it was just a feature of the rifle.

Is there a procedure to set up the bolt correctly?

Closey

Boolit Buddy

Steyr M95

Shooting mine with either the Graf's brass or Nazi milsurp with 16.0 gr AA5744 @ 2.900" OAL with as cast Lee C329-205-1R about .3315 dia. Gas checks I put on these with a homemade swager and then pan lube with a homemade lube. Can get group about the size of an egg at 50 yds... this load shoots to the sights...more tweaking need to get to 100yds...Tedly

Boolit Master
    great info fella's iv'e learned alot in so short of a time about this funky little banger .
    will look forward to shooting it soon ,i'm still undecided on a boolit yet but am going to get a lee sizer and open it up a tad then go from there(my bore slugs at .332), it's happening fellas i can feel it '
    have a great night. adrians

Boolit Grand Master
    I have found that I needed a big bullet to work in my M95.
    331 diameter.
    I have a RCBS die set that would work with condom bullets but not with the big cast bullets.
    I got a Lee die set and modified it to work.
    Also modified a Lee 8X57mm crimp die.
    Both work great.

If someone is interested in the RCBS die set, I have it for sale in the selling section.

today i received my m95. loaded 25 up. 22 loads were 8.5 grs of tb. other 3 were 6 grs of unique. shooting was done at 25 yards off hand. bullet was the lee .329-205 as cast, lube lee alox. shot 2 clips then started shooting them single. can't wait to bench them at 50 yards.
    nice accurate fun lil plinker.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by closey View Post
    Mine does that, i thought it was just a feature of the rifle.

Is there a procedure to set up the bolt correctly?

Closey
    I had the link at one time... have to look again. The extractor has a tab that drops in a notch on the bolt body (inside the bolt). This keeps the bolt head at full extension until the bolt is closed. Also keeps the bolt heads from jamming aganist the lug races while working the bolt. They are a bit um.... "finicky" but really neat rifles.

Boolit Bub
    I finally got the scanner working again. Here is the last group from one of my M95s with cast bullets. This was a cracked stock special from AIM.

This is with the Lee 338 cast of wheelweight, tumble lubed and unsized. No gas check was used. 10 grains of Trail Boss.

Pic is 10 shots at 50 yards. Was not working very hard, just plinking. There's room for improvement, but as this was only shots 40-50 of this load and afterward I found that the stock had re-cracked. Need to fire some more and see if the flyers continue. My goal is under 4 minutes at 100, so a bit more to go, but should be reasonable.

Apparently, the jacketed loads in Pic 2 were more than my poor stock repair could withstand. Yes, same POA for both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SteyrM95_50Yards_338Lee_Tlusized10gTB.jpg   SteyrM95_50Yards_sizedJRN40g4350.jpg