Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: moisin nagant $100

Boolit Bub
    i just gont one from buds for $94 free shipping, i hope i cant wait to get it.

Boolit Buddy
    Oldest round still in production 762x54 R that is being used .Think it's good for anything in North
    America game wise. Fun to shoot with cast bullets . cheap surplus ammo . Only thing new boxer brass is kind of pricey seen it from 80cents to around a buck a piece . Thats why I pull the military stuff put in 10 to 12 gr trail boss and blast away with cast or re seat the pulled bullets.
    About the most fun you can get for 100 bucks and in 10 yrs sell and make money on it . What's not to like .Think of it as a Russian 1903 -A3

Boolit Grand Master

Bought a mint unissued, unfired 91/30 today for $89.99 out the door. Cleaned the
    grease off and out, clearly the bolt face is untouched and the bore is absolutely
    a mirror. Gotta slug it.

Outside of the receiver looks like a failed dremel tool project from 8th grade shop class.

Trigger is very nice. Bayonet, two ammo pouches, cleaning kit, split oil-solvent bottle,
    dog collar sling included. Wood is very nice, very smooth - unlike many of them.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    i picked up one for $95.00 out the door got the cleaning kit sling oil bottle and bayonet. it is a 91-30.

dont wory if the muzzle is lose most are counterbored.

my thought is any one that does not have a rifle should buy one and at least a case of ammo. and learn how to shoot it.

What's funny to me is you can buy 14 rifles for an ounce of gold.

JG sales has a sale right now on their K31 Swiss rifles that is tempting me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by azcruiser View Post
    Oldest round still in production 762x54 R that is being used .
    8mm mauser is 1888 and .303 is 1889 (7.62x54R is 1891)

I think it's maybe the only one still in active service of a military. (Though it's possible 8mm is as well.)

MN are not only inexpensive to buy, the ammo is quite affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I killed 2 deer with my 91 (it was free).
    mine has 1 deer and one assist , a little rough around the edges but does the job mine was a free rifle also

Boolit Bub
    They are perfectly good rifles, your fellow shopper was just suffering from a bit of gun snobbery. I have heard the same thing dozens of times at the shows; I've mostly learned to ignore it.

They are cheap because there are huge piles of them on the market, not because they are inferior in any important way. Some wartime rifles are crudely machined on the outside, but the mechanical quality never suffered. Remember, the Germans had overrun the Tula arsenal and were just outside Moscow before being turned back. Considering the situation, the wartime rifle are amazing. Heck, we turned out some pretty shabby 03-A3s and we were operating in comparatively tranquil conditions.

The design is actually pretty complicated and is expensive to build and maintain contrary to the "peasant rifle" myth. There is a lot of machining in there and lots of little fiddly bits such as the follower assembly and the bolt. To me, it is quite surprising they never came up with a better design over nearly 6 decades of production. Look at the French MAS 36 and see what a truly simple (and shockingly effective!) design looks like.

As with any surplus military rifle, condition is important. Some rifles with marginal bores made it through rebuild, so buying in person is preferable. The barrel dimensions can be quite variable also though a good visual inspection should produce a usable rifle regardless of what the barrel slugs at.

If you want non-shooting related information you can check out http://7.62x54r.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    That safety can be overcome:

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/safe/safe.html

After you go there ........ wad around in Mr. Wagner's web site ....... you won't be disappointed!!

Enjoy!

Three 44s
    I can't thank you enough for this link! I've modded one my M38's to no end but have not figured any thing yet for an adjustable trigger. Now I've got to try his method. I do something very similar to cheat Timney out of a couple of bucks now and then with the old Mauser sporters but couldn't make the change to suit the M-N.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Boolit Grand Master

Pretty slick Nora! Good Idea!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

They are $100 here again for the refurbished round receiver 91/30 with all the accessories. You can go in and pick one out from racks full of them at On Target in Kalamazoo. I got two 1930's vintage hex receiver rifles for $80 a few years back hoping the value might increase. Even If it doesn't, they are still a fun gun to play with. I let the son in law shoot one of mine and he said "They kick a little don't they?" I just smiled at him. Every now and then I find a few PPU or Win cases for them and put them away for later.

Boolit Master

I have a few too many of them, if that's possible. 9 total (far more than any other type), including M28 Fin, 1922 Cossack 91/30, "Instructie" rifle, and a couple M44s. Paid anywhere from $45 to $99, but that's over a couple decades. Definitely a poor man's collection! How else are you going to get an entire collection for the price of one M1 Garand?

Most of them shoot pretty good, but I've never shot cast through them. For the most part they're typical Russian; heavy, clunky, and bulletproof.

Boolit Master
    Nora,

You are most welcome!!

And ...... Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Three 44s

Have had a Finn for years. Not shot much as I lost the front sight long ago and just got a replacement. Just bought 3 aresenal reconditions for $249 + tax, all accessories incl - one for me, one for my son and one for my FIL.

Don't expect to load for it anytime soon, instead paying about 20 cents a shot for surplus. Too many other things I want to work up loads for that I can't get ammo for anywhere near that cheap!

If one wants to avoid the rougher finished "war" guns, the easy solution is to purchase a "hex" (actually octagonal) receiver gun. The round receiver replaced the octagonal receiver sometime in the 1930's before the start of hostilities.

Don't forget to spend an additional $99 on a Nagant revolver to go with the Mosin rifle. The Nagant shoots unusual ammunition that isn't super cheap, so the revolvers are cheap. They are worth a lot more than $99 IMO, an interesting design, and well made.
    "The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Landric

Honcho for NOE .38-200 Mk. I British Round Nose Group Buy

Boolit Master

The Mosin was the first rifle I ever owned and it was the first cartridge I ever reloaded for. It had a Hex receiver and if I remember correctly it was a Tula made in 1917. I paid $7.00 for it 45 years ago. I sold it to a young man as his first rifle about 20 years ago for $7.00. It seamed only right.

Ken

Boolit Master
    Ken,

We call that passing the heritage forward! You are a good man!!

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master

Ken, Any body that has the "Duke" for his Avatar just can't be all bad! Agree with Three44's!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    Have had a Finn for years. Not shot much as I lost the front sight long ago and just got a replacement. Just bought 3 aresenal reconditions for $249 + tax, all accessories incl - one for me, one for my son and one for my FIL.

Don't expect to load for it anytime soon, instead paying about 20 cents a shot for surplus. Too many other things I want to work up loads for that I can't get ammo for anywhere near that cheap!
    BTW - shot the rifles last wkend. The Finn has a true target trigger! It is one of the lightest and crispest triggers I have ever shot. And I have shot some good target rifles competitively.

Looks like I may have to work up a good load for this one!

oscarflytyer: how does one tell if it is a Finn?

We have a local who has some crates full....

my first MN was bought for $20 it now resides somewhere in a remote cabin with a crate of surplus ammo, for Bear protection.