Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moisin nagant $100

Boolit Master

moisin nagant $100

I was at the Allentown gun show yesterday and a vendor had several crates of M-N in the cost for $100 ea. I said to a guy, a stranger, I didn't think you could get a gun for $100anymore. He replied they are $100 because they are not that good and there was alot of trouble with them. Is this true?--I might see them again.
    Last edited by hiram; 12-05-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    If the guy selling them told you that you should have told him that he should then lower the price even more!

They are a good rifle .........

........ and other than abuse in their former lives .............

................. there are no problems with them!

I own five of them ........ and none are for sale ........... they cost me from $69 to 89 depending upon the model. My favorite is my M38 (a carbine) ...... next are my 91/30's ....... and my least favorite but none the less keepers for amature gunsmith adventures ....... my M44's.

The model that I would like that I don't own of the Russian manufactured lot is a 91/59.

I don't have any Finnish variants and those would be nirvana!

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    The guy who told me about the poor quality was a shopper like me.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Buddy
    Your fellow shopper didn't know what he was taking about. I would have picked one or two up if I had been there. The lowest I've paid/seen here at NM shows is $125.

I got one of the $89 ones from Widener's not long ago. It was 1942 production. It looks pretty good on the outside, arsenal refurbished, but it sure doesn't have a great bore. Out near the muzzle it slugs .316. I suppose it is serviceable. I haven't shot it yet, but for $89, if I could hit within a couple feet at 100yds I'd be happy.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

MNs vary in condition. A lot of them just need a real good cleaning. Others have badly pitted barrels. If you have one that needs cleaning, it may take you a few weeks or even a few months to get all the old cosmoline-like gunk out of there. That stuff can be hardened from many years of storage & very hard to remove. It can be so hard, that it can be mistaken for actually being part of the barrel. If you look up threads on cleaning out that stuff over on the mil surp after dark website, you will find at least a dozen different methods for cleaning that stuff out. Each claims to be the magic boolit, but none really are, in my experience. I do find that each method takes off another layer, & if you use about 10 different ones, then eventually you will get it clean & find out what you really have. The MNs can be a bit of a gamble that way, but I think that even one with a fairly poor barrel is still worth $100. It's a rock strong action. Once it's cleaned up properly, they tend to be fairly smooth.

It is semi-common to find them with a counter bored muzzle. This was done to get rid of worn out parts of the barrel that were caused by rough cleaning from the muzzle end. Some of the counter bored barrels still shoot pretty well.

Those rifles seem a bit heavy when you first pick them up, but when you pull the trigger, that opinion usually changes. The cartridge that they take is fairly snappy & the weight in that rifle is there for a reason.

I find them quite pleasant to shoot with moderate cast loads. The Lee fat .30 mold (Harris design for the SKS) shoots well out of the one that I tried. Winchester sells primed Boxer brass in that caliber. That's what I used. I think that PP also sells brass in that caliber. SB ammo from Cabella's is loaded in Boxer brass too.

If you've never had one, it's a fun new thing to tinker with. If you get lucky, you might end up with a rifle that you actually like. The worst thing that is going to happen is that you end up with a lemon & you sell it for $75. That sounds like a $25 risk to me with a pretty good possible up side. If I were in your shoes, I'd grab one, maybe even 2. Getting 2 would increase your odds of getting a good one.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Banned

The only thing wrong with them besides being heavy and ugly is the safety is difficult to manipulate, but is about as fool proof as a safety can be. Both mine are suprisingly accurate, and they are extremely simple and rugged. If you try one, I have found the Lyman #311284 to be a great choice for it.

Boolit Bub
    Condition is everything, especially the barrel. If you can inspect the bore condition before buying. Look for strong rifling especially at the muzzle.

We have a local store that keeps them in stock carbines for $80 and full size for $90 all of them in good shape, just a lot of oil. I have one of each and do love them for random target plinking. The only thing I don't like about them is the availably of brass. Cheep(ish) steel case ammo can be found around hear but Im waiting around till i can find a reasonable supply of brass. You can find brass around but for more $$ then im willing to part with.

Boolit Mold
    I have 3 Mn carbines, and 2 of the 91/30 rifles. All of them are accurate and fun to shoot. My favorite is a Century Arms "sniper" with a reproduction PU scope. It is really a hoot. I have been using the suggested 200 yard target load for military surplus rifles (found in the sticky in the "CB loads/Military Rifles"), and have been very pleased with it. The suggested load for 170-180 grain cast bullets is 16 grains of Hercules (now Alliant) #2400 powder. It is a nice low-recoil mild load, which I am enjoying as I get older. Anyway, the MN's are, dollar or dollar, one of the best values going.

Boolit Master
    The MN is a fool proof rifle like most Russian weapons they were designed so that a peasant with no education could use them with little or no training. They are also rugged and reliable. They are not pretty or give the impression of quality manufacture but they do work and work quite well. The Russians used them as front line weapons into the early 50s and they are still in use in various parts of the world. You need to inspect the bores most of the ones I have seen are "arsenal refurbished" From what I have seen that means that they have rifling and if the muzzle was warn from cleaning they were counterbored an inch or two and called good. As all Russian ammo is corrosive many have pitting in the bore however, The preservative the russians used is so tough that you can shoot several hundred rounds through it and clean it for a week or two between trips to the range and not get it all out. However of the six I own they all will shoot around 4 inch groups or less at 100 yards with surplus ammo. With cast bullets I have done better than that. So they are definitely a good rifle and cheap at $100

I've come to believe there are two kinds of shooters: Those who have Mosins, and those who will. They're almost a rite of passage for casters... I know I love the heck out of mine. She's a rugged old dog, but never lets me down--ever.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master

I killed 2 deer with my 91 (it was free).
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I have three different variants. They cost me about $100 each (except the M38). All shoot well with properly sized cast bullets. They can sometimes be a pig in a poke buy. I like to buy mine from a store such as Dunham's as they deal direct with the importer and I'm not getting one someone wants to get rid of for some reason. There are no guantees with them though.

P.S. The worst of them, an M38 with a .314 bore still shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yds with a lapped out Lee C312-185-R1 mold that drops them at .316, sized to .315. (took some work though)
    Last edited by wallenba; 12-06-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Hiram, here is my first target ever with the 'fat bore' M38 at just 50 yards. This is with 12.7 grains of (yes) Trail Boss. Note the vertical stringing. Shaking the rounds prior to loading helped with this a little. Target disk is a 6 inch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M38TARGET 001.jpg  
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    They are addictive, kinda grow on you. Now I won't be happy 'til I have a real nice Finn for match shooting. Great way to go for a non reloader too, ammo for blasting is relatively cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    Bud's guns:

CEN MOS-NAG M91/30 7.62X54R EX

Model: RI660X Item Condition: Factory New Bud's Item Number: 411540201
    *Please Note!! Many of our pictures are stock photo's provided to us by the manufacturer and do not necessarily represent the actual item being purchased. Please verify this picture accurately reflects the product described by the title and description on this page before you place your order.
    Price: $92.00 *
    *Cash discount price

Additional Charges Apply to
    Long Guns Shipped to Hawaii and Alaska

Email a Friend...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The only thing wrong with them besides being heavy and ugly is the safety is difficult to manipulate, but is about as fool proof as a safety can be. .................................

That safety can be overcome:

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/safe/safe.html

After you go there ........ wad around in Mr. Wagner's web site ....... you won't be disappointed!!

Enjoy!

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Just another piece of info, If you are left handed the bolt of these rifles lends itself to left handed operation very well. I am not , but I saw a shooter who was and had been shooting one for a while, fire his and reach over the top , grab the bolt handle pull it up and back , forward and down without taking the rifle away from his shoulder and very effectively produce a rapid fire string of shots. Ejected empties didn't even seem to hit him in the face. It seemed to be just right.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the Bud's Guns sale MNs. It's confusing, the ad says 'Factory New' and also 'arsenal refinished'. The reviews all describe used guns. The refurbs from Century usually look nice but can vary a lot. Anybody know if Bud's has actual 'new' guns?