Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Load for Steyr M-95 8x56R

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Once again I have to ask, why did Lee even make the 8x56R mold? I use a lot of Lee stuff, most of it does the job. But I have a bunch of molds that really make me wonder if they've ever fired a shot. I'll check out these other brands for my M95. Do you suppose there's a reason so many of their molds are undersize? I've never got one that went 'over', that's for sure. I'm speaking of their off the shelf molds, not small run customs, which I've found to be good molds.
    People were screaming for 8X56R anything a few years back. Lee didn't put much thought into the design. The 338 would they already had works better than the 329 mould.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Bruce is calling it the Oldfeller Frankenstein boolet mold. It should be on the site now, if not, as soon as the update is finished. I haven't cast out of mine yet, but it is a beautiful mold.
    ''

...............The design is up and available to buy. So far as Lee making that .329" design for the M95, I suppose they read that that was the nominal groove and it used a 208gr slug. It's VERY obvious they never checked a few M95's out I have a M95 and a M95/34 and while both have Austrian Steyr actions, the M95/34 conversion was done in Hungary. The M95 has a throat that will pass a slug sized .338" and the nose of the "Frankenstein" will barely touch the lands when chambered. There were the faintest marks at the turn of the ogive. The boolit was seated so that ONLY the GC was in the neck, and the neck was crimped over the GC.

I then took this cartridge and tried to chamber it in the M95/34.

Pushing the bolt forward normally it stopped about 3/8" from closing so I 'thumped' the bolt handle forward to lock it up. The above photo was the result. The throat of the M95/34 sized the slug down from .338" to .334" and engraved the nose well.

I then sized a slug to .332" (didn't have a .333" push through die) and seated it to, and crimped it into the 2nd lube groove. By saying the second lube groove I counted the lube ring of the GC shank just above the GC as the 1st, so this slug had the GC and one drive band inside the caseneck. I then chambered and withdrew it. The result is above. The lands 'just' touched.

I then chambered it in the M95 and naturally it chambered with ease, but did NOT engrave. The difference in OAL with just the GC in the caseneck, and the GC and a drive band in the caseneck was about a tenth inch (0.100") difference. That's really quite a lot for 2 carbines designed for the same exact ammo!

The M95 has a barrel that is better then that of the M95/34, with the later displaying a bit more evidence of corrosive ammo and probable lack of timely and/or correct cleaning yet it has a tighter throat and shorter leade by a considerable amount. Common to both is a long throat and leade, with the M95 having one just short of unbelieveable

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

That Lee 329 mold that's ostensibly for 8x56R, is a good one for "fat" 8mm's like the French 8x50R and many 8x57 and 8x58RD bores. It sizes down nicely to 0.325" which is a common choice.

I too have sized down the Lee 338 to 0.332" for use in the M95, but ever try to find a 338 gas-check? Of late though, I've mostly used a custom Mountain Mold 0.333" PB.

Even with a "correctly" sized bullet, I've never been able to get an M95 accurate enough to interest me, and I have too many other accurate guns to distract me from further work.

I got my .338" checks from Buffalo Arms. They may still have a few boxes left. If not, you can get .338" GatorChecks anytime on a regular order. Check group buys for info on Gator Checks. He stocks .338" checks, annd you don't have to wait for a group buy...
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Man
    mikeschuylkill,

using lee's 205 gr 8x56r mold "beagled' to .331" dia. with a wheelweight alloy, 8mm gas checks, liquid alox and 32 gr of imr/h4895, i get 1800 fps from my m-95s. offhand, they shoot "minute of gallon milk jug" at 100 yds. with no leading.

as a long-time caster, i am impressed with bullplate sprue lube from bullshop. it prevents the lead buildup underneath the sprue cutter that can gall the top of aluminum molds speeding up production. it does a great job on steel molds as well. one bottle is probably a lifetime supply when used as directed, but i ordered a few to pass off to friends with spares in case i spill one.

budman

Boolit Buddy
    I am getting ready to try the Lee C338-220-1R bullet sized down to .332 for my carbine. Currently I am waiting on a replacement mould. The one I originally got has the corner for the sprue plate screw rounded off which causes the sprue plate to be flipped up.

I may have some extra clips at some point. These are not perfect and have a bit of surface rust in spots. I have used these clips and they work fine, but don't look the best. I got these with the last batch of surplus ammo I could find. The ammo all goes bang, but it was stored in a garage before I got it and the clips show the consequences of that.

I had been using 16gr of 2400 under the Lee C329-205-1R bullet. Low velocity, not the best accuracy and cases ringed/bulged. Will try a 18-20gr charge next test I run. My bullet was seated as far out as I could put it and still allow it fit in the magazine and feed.

My bore is .313 lands x .330 grooves.
    Last edited by VintageRifle; 11-15-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Boolit Man
    If you need a few Manlicher clips let me know.

Boolit Bub
    I made it out to the range again and tested the same load as last time except for seating depth. 10 grains of Trail Boss in Privi brass, CCI 200 primers and an as-cast Lee C338-220-1R lubed with LLA.

I had previously made an error regarding seating depth and I wanted to see if the new length worked any better. I was fiddling with sight settings this time, so sadly I did not get in any 10-15 shot groups as I originally intended but I got two 5-shot groups that were similar and I think it's enough for me to continue to work with this load.

Here's one of the targets from 50 yards. Still not great, but cheap to make and pleasant to shoot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steyr50cast.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12