Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 SPL: S&W 69 Vs Ruger GP100 5" half-lug

Boolit Bub

44 SPL: S&W 69 Vs Ruger GP100 5" half-lug

I am interested in a 44 SPL DA revolver to go with my NMBH Bisley Flattop(s). This would be for woods-walking and hunting, no big bears in Mississippi. Primarily "Tier 2" 44 SPL loads, or equivalent loads in 44 Mag cases. I am aware of the basic attributes of each gun. Both similar size and weight, both 5 shot. Just wondering if any of you have any personal insights to share, or things I may have overlooked.

Ruger GP100 44 SPL, 5" half-lugged barrel, blued, Lipsey's exclusive no longer in production: A 5" barrel is usually my first choice, I prefer the looks of blued, but the durability of SS. No longer available, would probably have to get into a bidding war with some collector on Gunbroker. $$. They don't come up that often that I've seen. I CAN spend the money, just not sure I WANT to spend the money. If they were commonly available, I would probably have one already. This gun was my first choice.

S&W 69: Similar size, weight, same capacity. 4.25" barrel. Capability to shoot full 44 Mag, which I am not interested in, esp in a midsize gun. Stainless. I can have one in 2 days for $800. When I saw that the Ruger might be hard to get, this one started looking attractive to me. I see online that alot of guys have the same idea as me (using it as a 44 SPL).

Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Smith and Wesson 69 for the win! Why? Because it’s AVAILABLE! Life is short. Don’t waste it waiting. Spend it shooting! And, getting the S&W 69 now will not preclude you from getting the 5” GP100 if one turns up somewhere some time.

I have the 69 with short barrel. Good gun.

Things I don’t like are the Hillary hole, MIM and the ball detent front crane lock. I find the front crane lock a bit hard to clean around. Not terrible, just an annoyance.

Things I like are it’s stainless, L-Frame has a good sized barrel stub, bolt notches are between chambers, 0.006” BC gap and can take any load I want to shoot in it.

I have the Ruger GP100 5” Lipseys but in 327. It’s been a disappoint. The BC gap 0.011” is my biggest gripe. The wood grip had some wiggle that made groups big until I replaced with Altamont rubber with inserts. The rear sight wobbled side to side. Common on many Rugers. I shim mine to one side.

The 69 I used right out of the box. I did change grips to a bare back strap to shorten the trigger reach.

Still biggest reason for the 69 is you can get one today. Do it!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Oh I should mention on MIM, the GP100 is an MIM gun too.

Boolit Master
    One more thought.
    S&W 544.
    It’s a 5” N-Frame, 6 shot in 44-40.

Moderator Emeritus

There's a fairly good discussion link at https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/44S2/44s2.html you may wish to read. Another you may find worth your time to read is https://www.indianagunowners.com/thr...pecial.524705/ And, a great article at https://www.nramuseum.org/media/364157/Jan%2098.pdf . I have a Model 696-1 and to say I love it would be an understatement! The barrel is a tad shorter, but its ease of carrying -- size and weight -- to me more than make up for the inch shorter barrel than, say, you're thinking of. One super accurate hombre, too!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Ginger or Mary-Ann?

You are going to get all kinds of pros & cons for each one. Each poster will have their preferences. It's up to you to decide which one you'll like the best.
    For me,, my personal choice would be the Ruger,, simply because they have always seemed to be overbuilt in their strength dept.

Boolit Master

If I had both guns on a table in front of me and an angry forest creature approaching, I would grab whichever one DIDN'T have finger grooves on the grips and not worry about who's name was stamped on it.

For the S&W, I would get one of the key lock / Hillary Hole delete kits and have it installed before my second range trip after I confirmed it worked - more out of principle than anything else.

I would not choose a blued gun for real world walking around even here in dry SoCal. You're living in a swamp where you almost need a SCUBA tank to not drown in the humidity. Stainless is the no-brainer choice.

I LIKE the .44 Special and it's loads that operate in that range of .455 Webley to .45 Auto +P. Hugely practical stuff without a lot of flash and thunder. I also like the ability to load .38 Specials hot in guns that will accept that. That said, I like a gun that will accept the Magnum length brass if that's the ammo that appears. I wouldn't voluntarily choose a Special of either bore diameter for a practical tool (historically cool guns are another matter).

Between a GP-100 in .357 with a heavy bullet (170gr+) or an L-frame Smith .44Mag with a Special level load? Some folks like Fords. Some like Chevys.

For further contemplation, there are also .44 Mag S&W Mountain Guns to be had on GB. Six shots and lighter weight due to the tapered barrel.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Interesting Dissertation Bigslug... Makes good sense to look beyond some Boundaries...But..Personally...The 44 Spl will always win...My Heart!!!

Boolit Master
    I have a Colt SAA in 44 Special with the 4-3/4" bbl. Easy to carry and very accurate. With regard to DA revolvers, I often carry a Charter Arms 44 Bulldog, which is substantially smaller and lighter than either of your choices - but I believe worth considering in your scenario.

You could also look at an older S&W 2nd or 3rd model Hand Ejector - and the 1950 Target or 24-3. Lots of used choices out there without MIM or the Hillary hole...

Boolit Master
    I have and use both models. The 69s (2) i bought had to have the throats reamed, and that’s it. If you want the option to shoot 44 Mags, then get the 69s. The GP100 with the 5” tube is the most accurate at special velocities. And it shines with any slug test so far below 280 grains using HS7, BD, AA7, and 630. I won’t name bullets or charges cause all the safety officers would have me arrested.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master

I’ve got the Lipsey’s 44 Spl GP100 blue 5 inch full lug. Picked it up after I had a brain fart and sold my flattop stainless Blackhawk 44 Spl. The GP100 is nice, but I liked the flattop Blackhawk better. Sometimes we just live with our mistakes.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Bub
    One of the cons of using .44Spl cases in .44Mag guns is the greater bullet jump, which is not the best for high levels of accuracy, (for most of us the difference wouldn't matter much,) and the carbon ring that builds up in front of the case.
    A .44 Mag gun IS a lot easier to find, and it's no big deal to load .44Mag cases down to whatever level you want.

Boolit Master

I bought the 5" GP-100 half lug and found it shot a foot high at 25 yards with Skeeter loads and the rear sight all the way down. I sent it back to Ruger and it came back with a new barrel and cylinder, and it still shot a foot high. I replaced the front sight with a taller one from Dawson Precision and it now hits to point of aim.
    In my opinion, the Ruger is a bit delicate for rootin'-tootin' Keith-style loads. I don't want to prove that I'm right, so I limit mine to Skeeter loads and below.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Bub
    If I get the 69 it would get mild loads with magnum brass. "Tier 2" range is the hottest I'm interested in, in either case.

I would like a S&W 69 as well, but there are a couple other options:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44 specials.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	326293

The 3" Ruger GP-100 44 special has been a nice gun that I enjoy. The Taurus 441 that I have is just slightly smaller, and much cheaper than the other options to obtain. Though getting a good one might be a crap shoot from what I have heard. And the S&W 24 at the top is my very favorite .44 special that I own. Although it is an N frame - it is not that much bigger than the other two.

I have owned a Charter Arms 44 special in the past. It's virtues are affordability and it's lightweight. Mine was of newer manufacture, and I might try an older one without the shrouded ejector rod some day. I read too many Taffin articles on these revolvers in ages past not to try another.

I have the GP-100 blued 5" model in .327 mag. It is sweet revolver. I always knew that I should buy the 44 special version before they were out of production and prices got crazy on them. Live and learn.

Good luck!

Moderator Emeritus

I have the 4.25" 69 and a Ruger flat top 44 special as well. The ammo can interchange for each gun with no significant point of impact at 25 yards. I also have a model 24-3 Smith 4" that didn't have a turn line when I bought it and it rarely leaves the safe. A S&W 24-3 may be the most accurate gun you will find but a used one @$1200 would be considered a deal.

Stainless is nice but I assume you can take care of guns in your environment. I like the 69 as a 44 mag with either 240 or 280 gr bullets. If you put a set of X frame grips on it, the recoil is much more user friendly.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a S&W 69, but mine was a toadlicker, leaded like crazy with undersized throats and a barrel that looked as though it had been rifled with a hand full of gravel. S&W's non-reponse to my e-mail and letter alienated me. I won't buy their new stuff anymore.

However, I am very happy with my 3" GP 100. The action was a little rough at first but smoothed out well over the first 3 hundred rounds. My practice loads are 5.5 grains of Red Dot with a 429-421 or an RCBS 44-240 K, for woods carry, I like either the Classic Skeeter load with Unique or 8.0 grains of Power Pistol. For anti-personnel use, I like with an MP 432-640 with the deep hollowpoint and 7.5 grains of Power Pistol.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3809.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	326424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	326425
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    I think my biggest takeaway it that with any maker, quality is a crapshoot. Just in this thread there are numerous examples of both S&W and Ruger quality control issues. As I just posted in another thread, my brand new Ruger Bisley 45 convertible will have to go back to Ruger, the rear sight is maxed out to the right, just to get it on paper at 25yds. On the other hand, my new (to me) Lipsey's 44 SPL Flattop (2015 vintage) is great. The writing is on the wall: To satisfy my recent revolver "itch", I will have to find a few examples that are at least a decent host, then get them to a competent gunsmith to make them "right". Between the triggers, throats, sights, I don't see myself being satisfied with any off the shelf offering, unless I happen to get VERY lucky.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3ea 2.75" and 4.25" M69s. All six have throats that accept a .429 Minus plug gauge but not a .430", so call them .4295". Have close to 15,000 rnds thru these guns - maybe 60% lead and 40% jacketed. Primary loads have been 240 - 265gr cast swcs - bevel base, square base, and gas check -- both traditional lube and "coated". 95% of the loads have been 17.5gr A2400, 6.5gr HP38 (both deep seated and crimped over front dr band), and 24 gr of WW296/H110 (mostly jacketed). No noticeable leading and good accuracy.

One of my favorite double action revolver platforms.

FWIW,

Paul

Boolit Master
    My brother bought a 4" mod 69.

It seems like quite a handful compared to my MG. I do not understand it as the weights are quite close. I own all the way including 480 Ruger SRH and have even fired the "dreaded" 329 in 4" with bear loads and wooden grips and found it useful!

But for some reason the 69 ...... not so much. I believe the tamer grips might be a good solution with the 5 shooter.

BTW I stick with magnum 44 brass and adjust my power levels.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”