WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sell me on the 327 Federal Magnum

Boolit Master
    Following what Don posted above... I do Not require more...of anything. My Bitter Half however, likes her Rugger SSM, in 32 H&R, purchased early '90's, very much. The 32H&R is all she desires...tho she likes it "Peppy". She does shoot our little H&R in 32S&W(L), infrequently. I'm saying we are Set! Tho a larger frame 32 would be welcomed...who says one must be in Need???

Boolit Master

Would you rather commute to work every day in a common, reliable car that always starts, always runs, always gets you where you need to go, has commonly available parts and accessories, and runs on standard 87 octane gas. . .

. . .or would you rather do it in a quirky exotic with exactly the same performance but without even half the logistics tail that runs on wishes and unicorn farts?

There's nothing unusable about the .32's, but they're basically all chambered in guns that can be had in .357 magnum, which can be watered down all the way to shooting .38 Short Colt, if desired. Maybe you can get an extra round in the cylinder, but as you say, we now have flatter and higher capacity 9mm's in the same performance spectrum (with serious defensive loads available) that will fit in your front pocket and not have a fat, bulgy cylinder to contend with.

I've got a Martini Cadet single shot shooting something of an exotic, blown out .32-20. Shoots great, and I learned a lot figuring out how to make ammo for it, but if I could wave a magic wand and have it run on scrounged .357 Magnum range brass, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Like the .32 wheelguns, it's fun, but logistically more than a little insane.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    When this thread is exhausted, you are going to have opinions that amount to nothing of value in your case. After 50 years in the gun business, I have seen guys fixated on calibers, gun brands, action types. Frame sizes, and there is no logic.

Since you are posting here, the assumption is you are asking relative to cast. Not particularly cast friendly. Is it a more accurate cartridge than any other? No. Does it have a particular killing edge? This is again opinion, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it. Does it have superior range performance. Only if you look at a barrel length FAR greater than you are considering. So should you buy a Hyundai? Is a 1000 cc bike big enough? If it’s important to you, buy it.
    Actually, that couldn't be further from the truth. I've found the opinions here to be very valuable. And mostly positive by about 2:1 of the cartridge. There are some disagreements as to it's practical application, and whether or not it is subjectively better than this cartridge or that cartridge. But there is a lot of valuable information here.

No offense intended, but that is how people figure out when something works and when it doesn't - they share their opinions and experiences. And the people who ask the questions gather up those experiences and opinions to form their own conclusion of the costs/benefits based upon the answers they received. You're practically the only person involved in this thread that offered neither. I'll agree there are fanboys of every genre out there. But that doesn't mean that valuable insights cannot be conveyed through opinion and experience. Sure, if we're talking Colt vs S&W what does it matter. But that's not what we're discussing here.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Would you rather commute to work every day in a common, reliable car that always starts, always runs, always gets you where you need to go, has commonly available parts and accessories, and runs on standard 87 octane gas. . .

. . .or would you rather do it in a quirky exotic with exactly the same performance but without even half the logistics tail that runs on wishes and unicorn farts?

There's nothing unusable about the .32's, but they're basically all chambered in guns that can be had in .357 magnum, which can be watered down all the way to shooting .38 Short Colt, if desired. Maybe you can get an extra round in the cylinder, but as you say, we now have flatter and higher capacity 9mm's in the same performance spectrum (with serious defensive loads available) that will fit in your front pocket and not have a fat, bulgy cylinder to contend with.

I've got a Martini Cadet single shot shooting something of an exotic, blown out .32-20. Shoots great, and I learned a lot figuring out how to make ammo for it, but if I could wave a magic wand and have it run on scrounged .357 Magnum range brass, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Like the .32 wheelguns, it's fun, but logistically more than a little insane.
    Great analogy. I am fond of the idea of the cartridge. And it does sound like a great cartridge. But the only real advantage I'm seeing over the .357 is the +1 capacity and slightly less recoil in identical frames. I'll probably end up buying one if for no other reason than to shoot 32 Long in it as a plinker - but as I've said, I've been looking for something to shoot that cartridge regardless.

I think the overall answer here is that it is a great cartridge, and does do what it says it does. But it's practical application is probably niche centric, with a lot of cartridge overlap.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master

I'm another one that has all the offerings Ruger offered in .327. For ME, the 327 is just fun. I would say that although factory ammo is generally available, this cartridge shines for a handloader. I like heavy bullets and handloading allows me to load them inexpensively.

The 327 doesn't really do anything another caliber can't do, but you can say that about nearly any cartridge. I have the Henry Carbine and that's a lot of fun too.

I really like the cartridge in Rugers LCR. A JFrame sized six shooter with plenty of power if that's your thing, or download it to be comfortable for anyone recoil adverse. That's the strength of the round over the 38's and 357's in my opinion, as a carry gun.

Oh ya, last thing. It's no secret that many Rugers generally need a little work on the forcing cone, throats and possibly a constricted barrel. Once these potential deficiencies are addressed my experience is they shoot like a freaking laser. If you want a flat shooting revolver round, this is it for me.

Mostly, its just fun.

He kinda hits the nail on the head. But I own both 32 S&W long and 32-20 revolvers. Maybe shoot the 32-20 more just because I shoot cowboy action and have a Win. 92 in that caliber. With that said, I’m shooting 38/357 revolvers and rifle way more. My lightest is a 32 short colt loaded with 1.9 grains trail boss that sounds like a big 22 short in my Marlin rifle. I could go as low as a 95 grain bullet for 38/357. Never any problem finding 38 special brass. So would I own a 327 if I didn’t own the other 32 revolvers? Probably like outpost 75 says, I would own a 30 carbine Blackhawk as I’ve loaded ammo for a couple others with those guns and they work wonderful with reduced loads. And it’s kinda neat that Ruger just had to make a minor change to the new model blackhawks to accept 32-20 ammo. And I shoot cast in my military M1 carbine as well. Oh, I also own a few colt 22 single actions with 22 mag. cylinders so the gap between 22 to 38 is more than covered. Oops, forgot I also own a colt 1903 32 acp.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You can believe the numbers or what people say. I am a numbers guy and old enough not to trust what people say.
    As I under stand it, recoil is based off momentum, mass x velocity of the bullet and gasses and the static momentum of the firearm. (With some voodoo for speed of recoil, grip shape, and personal preference) Kinetic energy is 1/2 x mass x (velocity squared) So generally faster, lighter bullets will have less momentum for the same energy. Whether kinetic energy is the best metric for a firearm is a different question.

Also it has been a while since Physics class so forgive me if I am confused.
    Last edited by kenton; 05-04-2024 at 11:27 AM.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Grand Master
    I note the depressingly large velocity variations obtained with powder position variation of lighter charges of fast powder intended to simulate 32 Long and 32 H and R and my enthusiasm for light loading the longer cartridge is considerably diminished. Since 32 Long is my preference for such use, and 357 is my preference for higher power use, i see no niche for it for myself.

I’ve already got those revolvers that cover “lighter” and “heavier” on hand. The full sized cartridge doesn’t do modest loading well and another cartridge beats it on the high end. So meh.

Boolit Master

Just found out today that Ruger makes a 3" SP 101, fixed sight in 327..... Also found out it fits surprising well in the center console of my Ford.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I think the overall answer here is that it is a great cartridge, and does do what it says it does. But it's practical application is probably niche centric, with a lot of cartridge overlap.
    This is where I've arrived on many things - ESPECIALLY since I got into bullet casting. Between manipulating alloy, nose shape, and adding hollowpoints, you can often pick one cartridge and tweak the penetration to be suitable for mice or mastodon. When you start looking at ammo in that light, there becomes less practical performance difference from one round to the next. At that point it becomes a matter of suitability for the job at hand, how many jobs it can do suitably well, and the logistics of keeping it going - not only in terms of basic components, but in the hassle of converting the press from making ammo for your five .357/.38's so you can make ammo for the quirky niche gun.

Hey, we all have the wild flights. I cast and load for Webleys not because they're practical, but because they're historically cool. But it's worth considering what side of the line that wild flight is on.

Something else to consider in a carry gun is the weight. Typically, a manufacturer will leave the external dimensions alone, and bore out the inside for the desired cartridge. Smaller bore, often = heavier gun.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    At that point it becomes a matter of suitability for the job at hand, how many jobs it can do suitably well, and the logistics of keeping it going - not only in terms of basic components, but in the hassle of converting the press from making ammo for your five .357/.38's so you can make ammo for the quirky niche gun.
    I’ve got a turret press, so it’s just a matter of changing plates, shell holder, and possibly primer seating equipment. So no hassle there. And honestly finding brass would probably be the biggest issue. But again, I’d probably shoot 32 Long in it more than anything.

Boolit Master
    Finding 327 brass is easy. You find it on the front porch a couple days after you order it. Currently in stock at Graf’s and Powder Valley and probably lots more internet ordering houses. Even Cabela’s has it in stock. Star Line just made a batch and had it green dotted for the last couple of months. It’s yellow dotted now, so taking back orders. In 2008 when it came out, find brass was tougher. Not now days.

327 brass is made for the high pressure and I’ve not had any longevity problems with my brass. I don’t remover losing a case. I’ve loosened plenty of primer pockets on 32 H&R. Thanks SSM! But not in 327.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    Here is my impression. If you have a legitimate use for it, it is not bad. I played with the .314” cartridges for a couple years, and still own them. I don’t have any legitimate use for them. I can’t squirrel hunt with them. You can only use a 22lr or a shotgun in my state. In my state it is illegal to hunt deer with. That is why there isn’t a legitimate use in my state.

The 327 packs a wallop with the right bullet. It also has a very loud crack. I couldn’t get the accuracy out of it, compared to 32 H&R magnum. That is why I prefer it to the 327. They are a lot of fun to play with, but I prefer the 32 H&R.
    yep

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Don, I agree. But they say it is still about half the recoil of the 357 magnum. +1 round when you consider j-frames. But I'm curious what it does to cylinder throats... And it is going to be intended for carry. I'm comfortable with 38spl defensively, but if I can get a little more energy, an extra round, and light recoil, I'm open to the idea...

Barry, that's one of the things I was thinking of. I have kinda been shopping for something to shoot 32 Long with lately as a low recoiling plinker. Having the versatility to shoot the H&R and Long is definitely a plus in my opinion. Although, I really don't see any situation where I would chose to shoot the H&R. Not impressed with it's ballistics, and it's cheaper to plink with the 32 Long. Just my .02... But this would kill two birds with one stone...
    I looked, but I don't see a S&W j-frame .327 being produced currently. If they did make one, I would avoid it. My Single-Seven is small enough. I haven't fired a factory round in it. .327 rounds are incredibly noisy/blasty. It's a lot like my .454 SRH, only smaller. .45 cowboy loads/.32 S&W=fun. Ruger only .45 Colt/.32 H&R=still fun and get the job done. .454/.327=stuff just got real. That's the point, that I can do anything I want with three different cases and one revolver.

In addition to good earpro, buy more than one set of dies.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    yep
    Can't argue with performance. In my case, I chose to buy .327 guns anyway because the caliber can easily be handloaded to fire at .32H&R velocities. I have the higher power capability if I want it - ever - and the guns are built and tested for the higher pressures. So I just buy and stock one size of brass. And it's of little concern to me, but .32H&R ammo is nearly as hard to find in my neck of the woods as .327.

If you want to nitpick, I think a bullet caster can get more of the common weight bullets (98-115gr.) from a pound of lead than .357 (130-180gr), but I really doubt if anyone here cares about that slight difference.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Just found out today that Ruger makes a 3" SP 101, fixed sight in 327..... Also found out it fits surprising well in the center console of my Ford.
    IME, they are made out of unicorn horns. I have never seen one.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger just did another batch of SP101's in 327. Lots of 3 and 4in versions on GB now, not cheap, but better prices than there has been in a long time on them. Buds also has them in stock under $700.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post
    I looked, but I don't see a S&W j-frame .327 being produced currently. If they did make one, I would avoid it. My Single-Seven is small enough. I haven't fired a factory round in it. .327 rounds are incredibly noisy/blasty. It's a lot like my .454 SRH, only smaller. .45 cowboy loads/.32 S&W=fun. Ruger only .45 Colt/.32 H&R=still fun and get the job done. .454/.327=stuff just got real. That's the point, that I can do anything I want with three different cases and one revolver.

In addition to good earpro, buy more than one set of dies.
    Yeah, it looks like S&W dropped the caliber. It used to be offered in the performance center 632, but doesn’t look like they’re doing that one anymore.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohen cepel View Post
    Ruger just did another batch of SP101's in 327. Lots of 3 and 4in versions on GB now, not cheap, but better prices than there has been in a long time on them. Buds also has them in stock under $700.
    Not too bad me thinks......675.00 OTD.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a philosophical saying about “a solution looking for a problem”. In a way, this is how some folks regard the 327 FM, but for me it seems like a fine chambering looking for an appropriate platform (ie gun). With the release of more Rugers this situation may be improved, but I still wish S&W would get on board with an appropriate K frame. The Single Seven may be their final answer in a SA, but if Ruger would give their Blackhawk another chance, it might sell well. I envision a dual cylinder 32 (a la the Buckeye Special) in 327 FM and 32-20 for the ultimate handgun in this caliber family. If they made it a triple cylinder version with a 30 Carbine cylinder as well, maybe my friend Outpost75 would want to come on board as well. That would be my Ultimate Single Action!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"