Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9MM Brass Processor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    You can just process brass on them, just don't perform the steps you don't want to do.

Looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/G1ieGYpdr9I
    I could do that but I got a deal on the CH and it isn't costing much to make a piece of junk into something useful!
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 04-23-2024 at 10:03 PM.

I suppose the same could be said of a 1050, that has a priming system that's acting up...

The plastic tip on the primer tube is my first suspect. The 4 digit Dillon's don't have the life time warranty but they have never charged me for them. Same part thats used on the SD, 550 and 750 and the weak link in all of them.

Boolit Grand Master

My only complaint with my 650s was the small size of the spent primer cup ands its dropping primers on the floor as it filled up quickly. I drilled a hole thru the bottom and made a little derilin tee shaped plug that slide in the stem was sized for a piece of 1/2" tygon tubing. A heavy chamfer on the hole on top. Now it holds about 15-25 primers all the rest fall down the tubing into the trash can underneath. I havent emptied the spent primer cup since.

The salvaged press makes it a good way to go if you have space for it. Another option if you want to deprime before hand is a hand decapper they can be very quick and simple and you arnt tied to a bench

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Never seen a chromed RL1050. The RL 1000 built on a stainless-steel frame. RL 1000's were discontinued in 1989 and replaced with the RL 1050 than later the Super 1050's.

If I understand correctly the problem is NOT with the priming system on the Dillon but rather the case inspection process allowing cracked and bulge brass that have to be dealt with later? So no Dillon 1050 trouble shooting required since this appears to be a process issue and not an issue with the 1050?
    You are 100% correct about the case inspection, sir!
    I have 2 of the chrome or nickel plated 1050s, they are very early models and have chrome tool heads also!
    One is the first one that I operated at a friend’s house and it convinced me to buy one.
    The other one is the first one I bought shortly after seeing my friend’s.
    The second and third ones I bought were a matte black finish.
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 04-20-2024 at 08:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    You are 100% correct about the case inspection, sir!
    I have 2 of the chrome or nickel plated 1050s, they are very early models and have chrome tool heads also!
    One is the first one that I operated at a friend’s house and it convinced me to buy one.
    The other one is the first one I bought shortly after seeing my friend’s.
    The second and third ones I bought were a matte black finish.
    Thanks for the clarification. I originally taught was issues with the 1050 so most of my comments are not valid. I have two Super 1050's (one for large primers and one for small primers) and one RL 1000. I have three 650's again on for large primers and one for small primers. The third is dedicated to 45/70.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Am I the only one here using a primer pocket swage? My 550B crushes the printer if I don't swage the primer pocket.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Am I the only one here using a primer pocket swage? My 550B crushes the printer if I don't swage the primer pocket.
    I swage the primer pocket when the factory primer was crimped, otherwise not.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a pair of 550C's that went away when the 650's came out. Had a 450 before. None of them crushed primers unless it was crimped brass that never had the crimp removed?

If yours is doing it on non-crimped brass something is not right. Total I have primed around 400K on the Dillions. I prefer the positive depth seating my Super 1050's
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

No, the 4 digit Dillon presses have a pocket swage station at #3 as part of the normal operations. Swaging is concurrent with loading, not an extra step, like when using a 550.

Boolit Master

Making some progress!
    I made a primer stud to mount the primer tube and blast shield.
    I bushed the hole for the primer punch.
    I need to make a bushing for the case advance slide next!
    With the modifications I could easily make it a 9mm reloading press just by installing a few dies.

Boolit Master

Case slid bushing was made and installed today!
    I am waiting on the Loctite to harden so that I can put a taper in the bottom like the factory had to help with alignment of the punch and the opening in the slide.

Boolit Master

Case slid bushing was made and installed today!
    I am waiting on the Loctite to harden so that I can put a taper in the bottom like the factory had to help with alignment of the punch and the opening in the slide.
    I had to make a gauge so I could get a tight fit with the bushing and the hole tapped in the slide because the die that came with the tap cut very loose threads.
    I was able to get a very tight fit and it worked perfectly!
    I partially assembled the slide and priner punch and primed some cases with spent primers !

Boolit Master

Well priming system gave me fits with multiple primers!
    I spent the last 2 days modifying parts and pulling my hair out!
    After a good night’s sleep I started by disassembling the entire priming system and when the primer punch was at rest it was sitting about .020-030” high and rubbing on the bottom of the primer slide and when adjusted flush it was not going high enough to fully seat a primer!
    I had to grind metal off the lever that operates the primer punch and that solved the problem!
    Next it a coupling to attach a primer magazine to the primer stud and allow a blast shield to be mounted.
    Slowly but surely I may finally see light at the end of the tunnel, I hope that it is not a freight train!

Boolit Master

I made a tube to feed cases and tried 10 cases with once fired primers and had problems!
    Cases feed OK once all 4 cases are in the rails but don’t fall off at the end like a loaded round would, I will have to make a deflector to make them go down the chute.
    Making progress slowly!

Boolit Master

I did some minor adjustments and the dead primers went through flawlessly!
    I only did 8 in a row, next time I will try 100.
    If the 100 goes through with no problems I’ll try live primers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12