Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boring Bumblebee killing

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    I like the rice idea ! Definitely gonna give that a try . Looks like lots of fun !
    That's what I was thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    James, I took a .45ACP case and drilled a 1/4" hole thru the primer pocket then chucked it up in my drillpress. Turned on the press and held a file against the case mouth until it was sharp. Then cut cardboard wads out of a box with a rubber stall mat under the cardboard with the case spinning in the drillpress.

A hard surface under the cardboard will destroy your case mouth. Punched the wads out with a hex driver thru the primer hole.
    Attachment 325809

Primed cases charged with 2gr of Bullseye or whatever fast powder you have. I also used TiteWad but wouldn't be afraid to use anything fast burning. Pack the wad down on top of the powder then fill the case with rice. Melt wax over the rice. No crimp needed. Your primers will back out a little due to not having pressure to seal them in the pocket. Not a problem for my derringer.
    Attachment 325810
    Attachment 325811

I did also load some with spent KDF-85 well filter media which is copper and zinc shavings and will use them away from my house when in the woods. White wax is rice, red is the media.
    Attachment 325812

Another kill shot video:
    (first click was on the empty chamber)
    https://youtube.com/shorts/dKzC7qiK5...Y52xbvIcZV-Ujp
    Thank's for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    I loaded some .38spl rice loads today and did a dedicated thread on them and my .45s. Vid of the .38 in there shooting a pattern.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Loads-38-45LC
    I'll have a look! I was specifically thinking this makes more sense for 38spl than anything. Like a less destructive rat shot load...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Those fuzzy butt bumble bees can be really aggressive, when I was a kid one got under my tee shirt and stung me four times before I could pull the shirt off.
    I try to stay as far away from them as possible. They can be a real pain if they make a burrow in your yard, you can just about forget about mowing it.

Boolit Master

I am now officially a 2024 ace with 5 kills. I got #5 this evening as he was buzzing around the wooden steps looking for a place to bore a hole. He was about 15 feet away and I tried to get closer, and he ran like a coward. I went around the house to the front steps and there he was doing his thing again. I moved real slow and managed to get about 10 to 12 feet from him and took my first shot. Close enough that he dodged sideways a little and flew off about 25 feet and hovered for a few seconds and came back. Second shot, same routine, he dodged sideways and flew off a little further this time. He hovered for a few seconds and came back but this time he looked straight at me from about 8 feet and looked all the world like he was thinking about coming for me. I took my time a squeezed off #3 and it hit him so square that he went straight backwards for at least 15 to 20 feet and did not move, that is, what was left of him. I had hit him square on and there didn't seem to be much life of him but one wing and a small piece of his body. Shooting winged insects with the BB is becoming real fun for me now. My trap and skeet shooting days are coming back with even more challenging targets. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Get those buggers James!!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

That's a cool video. Bangin wood boring bumble bees with a derringer!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    That's a cool video. Bangin wood boring bumble bees with a derringer!
    Thanks. I was shooting red wasps though. I've killed at least 25 this spring so far.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

Steve, I will never catch you as the supple of boring bees seems to have taken a downturn in numbers. I saw one this evening and I got the little BB out and as soon as I stepped onto the porch, he zoomed up over the roof and was gone. He never came back either, the coward. I have not seen a wasp nest this spring as yet either. Don't know why they seemed to be either late or their numbers are way down around here. james

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Steve, I will never catch you as the supple of boring bees seems to have taken a downturn in numbers. I saw one this evening and I got the little BB out and as soon as I stepped onto the porch, he zoomed up over the roof and was gone. He never came back either, the coward. I have not seen a wasp nest this spring as yet either. Don't know why they seemed to be either late or their numbers are way down around here. james
    Mine have slowed down as well. I figure they'll pick back up as it warms. Been a cool spring so far. I may have killed enough to put the hurt on them here though. I am one of those people that bugs love and the wasps harass me when I'm trying to enjoy sitting on the porch swing. Not a problem since I now enjoy blasting them to smithereens. Wish I had figured this out 25 years ago.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master

I know what you mean Steve. I used to swat them with a 2x2 about 36" long and then a 1x4 but the 1by seemed to push air ahead of it as I was bouncing then sideways without actually hitting them. Shooting is much more fun. james

We have a bumper crop of these little moths that somehow got into our house. I bought a Electronic Tennis Racket for $8 which is the weapon of choice for these varmints . I usually get between 2-5 a night and spot them with a flashlight then swat them with the TR. Bzzzt,,, Gone. surprising how agile they are but I am smarter so I "get the bug" eventually. Trying to train my Cat to get the bug ? Work in progress.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123