RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cooking ovens/ranges.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m not dismissing that it’s feasible to do yourself, or myself. And not subjecting ourselves to Joe schmo the handy man wannabe. Good references of course.

But just acknowledging the risks that do exist like anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

We have always had gas — at least the last 30 years, hate electric. I’d guess you’re looking at a range in the $1K range…I do NOT mess with gas myself, don’t ask why…..
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Do you only cook in the garage with cast iron?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    John, that's me not giving enough info. Hot plate is only for heating up molds prior to casting. And actually if and when I take it up again it will be outdoors. I am coming off a high bll the last few years. Although I now realize that the lead is actually the lead stryphonite in the primers. Everyone around me is pushing me out side for this hobby.
    My response was for someone who uses his kitchen for casting. Oh, and as far as smelting lead. That is definitely outdoors; In my bayou cooker with a cast iron pot; dedicated equipment.
    Funny we are talking about ranges. Today my wife told me she has had it with the current one. We put it 9 years ago with the kitchen remodel. Her observations are that the glass in front of the oven collects streaks inside. We have had to do a big disassembly to clean it and it gets dirty again. We are real kitchen people and use everything a lot. Further it is full of scratches and one igniter wont work and others are getting too slow. Now I know how to change igniters however the one screw holding the gas distribution plate is corroded so I would have to use a drill-out and retap it. I offered, my wife refused. (see my loading room pic, elsewhere on this forum )
    Oh, the brand is Jenn-Air.
    So I think this time we will get something from HD. It will be much cheaper and do the same job.
    Much obliged, Max
    Last edited by max it; 04-16-2024 at 11:49 PM. Reason: sp.

Boolit Master
    Jenn-Air 2 speed downdraft fan is great for a casting exhaust. If noise is an issue you can mount it remotely and use 6" hard duct for your intake. 5" exhaust can be hard to find duct parts but increase to 6" and it's easy.

Boolit Master

I want to switch to gas just because Joe don't like it .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    …. Just because someone has a gas license (easy to get) and is insured is not enough. Insurance requires me to hire a licensed chimney sweep. Have to climb the roof after to check their work. Over the years have had three friend's and family's homes burned on the first fire after a chimney clean.
    Did my own gas and had building inspector sign-off for the record.
    In December 2000 we purchased a foreclosed four year old townhome in a newer ‘luxury’ development. There were four 3.000 square foot units in each building. The gas service was split into four meters clustered together.
    When the weather moderated I noticed a faint whiff of natural gas by the meter cluster. Gas company came out and found a leaking union. The fun began when they turned the gas back on after repairs. Two of the meters were connected to the wrong units, since the place was built four years earlier. One of the owners, a snowbird, had been telling me his gas bill was outrageous, even though he had added insulation and kept his place at 50 degrees F all winter while he was in Florida. Turned out he’d been paying his neighbor’s bill.
    Several inspectors had missed the switched addresses.
    I’ve been and worked with skilled tradesmen all my life. None of this stuff is rocket science. There are codes and procedures that have to be followed. Things go south when people fail to do so.
    I helped a friend run a gas line to supply a clothes dryer. He had some galvanized fittings he wanted to use to save a couple $$. Little things like that is how you get in trouble.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    In December 2000 we purchased a foreclosed four year old townhome in a newer ‘luxury’ development. There were four 3.000 square foot units in each building. The gas service was split into four meters clustered together.
    When the weather moderated I noticed a faint whiff of natural gas by the meter cluster. Gas company came out and found a leaking union. The fun began when they turned the gas back on after repairs. Two of the meters were connected to the wrong units, since the place was built four years earlier. One of the owners, a snowbird, had been telling me his gas bill was outrageous, even though he had added insulation and kept his place at 50 degrees F all winter while he was in Florida. Turned out he’d been paying his neighbor’s bill.
    Several inspectors had missed the switched addresses.
    I’ve been and worked with skilled tradesmen all my life. None of this stuff is rocket science. There are codes and procedures that have to be followed. Things go south when people fail to do so.
    I helped a friend run a gas line to supply a clothes dryer. He had some galvanized fittings he wanted to use to save a couple $$. Little things like that is how you get in trouble.
    I was the jerk who shut down a project with the new married student housing when the meter for unit A had the heating for A and the water heater for B coming off it. The place had been drywalled by the time I saw it. I understood later that the local division manager over rode me and had someone turn it on anyway. I got my revenge later when one side was turned off for nonpayment 4 years later and the other had no hot water.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I was the jerk who shut down a project with the new married student housing when the meter for unit A had the heating for A and the water heater for B coming off it. The place had been drywalled by the time I saw it. I understood later that the local division manager over rode me and had someone turn it on anyway. I got my revenge later when one side was turned off for nonpayment 4 years later and the other had no hot water.
    I bet that was an eye opener when they got in the shower.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife's uncle smelled gas in the backyard, called the gas company, they came out and shut the meter and locked it, said "call us when it's fixed", cost him 3K and a month without gas.
    When the same thing happened to my in-laws house I went over and saw they had buried black iron pipe without protection and over the years had rusted through, went to the hardware store and bought green iron pipe (coated for burial) and we re-plumbed the house, only cost them a few hundred.
    I'm not a plumber but have enough knowledge plus a hand threader, they only run a stove, water heater and furnace, hardly ever all at the same time, used one inch pipe with half inch stubouts at the appliances, 3/4 at the furnace, where we are this would require an inspection only with new construction.
    Being friends with a plumber helped me making sure what I did was proper and safe.
    Had to add that the house was from the late 50's and the gas line circled the house outside of the slab, came out of the ground and went in where it was needed, certainly made things easier.
    Last edited by tunnug; 04-21-2024 at 12:59 PM.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123