Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Old 1892 with French stamp

Boolit Master

Old 1892 with French stamp

Bought what seemed to be a Win92 rifle but stamped on the side of barrel: Manufacture: Francaise D'Armes & Cycles Saint Etienne with logo.
    However, top of barrel & tang seems to show the standard Winchester markings.
    There are also stamps at the end of barrel & receiver which seems to be PW of sort.
    S/N is 466XXX which put it around 1908 manufacture.
    Barrel & magazine are in bad shape (some pitting on receiver too but can't do anything about it) & planning to replace both but wanna make sure I'm not messing up any historical value.
    I've shot it with mild loads of 44-40 boolits & shoots/cycles fine though sights need replacements as well.
    Any feedback is much appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5206.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	322337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5207.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	322338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	322339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5209.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	322340
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

There is a guy named Michael Puzio that is writing a book on the 1892 and has cataloged almost 15,000(including mine) and can tell you a lot. He is a real nice guy and his email is 2bitrifles@gmail.com . He posts over on the Winchester Collectors site.
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 01-19-2024 at 01:54 PM.

Here is a bit of information on an 1886 Winchester marked like yours.
    https://winchestercollector.org/foru...rked-1886-src/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    There is a guy named Michael Puzo that is writing a book on the 1892 and has cataloged almost 15,000(including mine) and can tell you a lot. He is a real nice guy and his email is 2bitrifles@gmail.com . He posts over on the Winchester Collectors site.
    Thank, just emailed him.

Great ! Let us know what Michael tells you .

Boolit Mold
    Hello all,

I contacted a collector friend of mine who lives in Paris, France. This is his insight on these marked rifles.

Winchester model 1892 with a barrel stamped with "MANUFACTURE FRANCAISE D'ARMES & CYCLES ST ETIENNE" are not uncommon here in France. It simply means that the rifle was sold by the company called "Manufacture d’armes et cycles de Saint Etienne" (often called Manufrance) which was based in the city of Saint Etienne. The barrel is still the original Winchester barrel. Those rifles were often taylored to the liking of Europeans with a shotgun buttplate and european sling swivels, like this one here:

https://www.naturabuy.fr/Carabine-Wi...-11069213.html

Manufrance was a large company founded at the end of XIX's century that manufactured firearms, bicycles (cycles in french) and sewing machines. They were also the first to offer mail order, selling all sorts of equipment and hardware. They were like the Amazon of the early days, but with a catalogue instead of a website.

Here is a link to the complete 1912 catalogue:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bp...509p/f142.item

Glad that I could help,
    Michael Puzio

Boolit Buddy
    I'm no expert, but it appears your rifle has been to France. That looks like the original Winchester barrel with a roll stamp by the French importer added. The intertwined WP in an oval on both the receiver and barrel are the Winchester Proof stamps which are a standard feature on many Winchesters.
    Also, the gun has seen some severe rust/pitting and has been reblued afterwards due to there being bluing in the pits.
    If the bore is usable and the action is in good mechanically you have a neat shooter with some character.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by twobit View Post
    Hello all,

I contacted a collector friend of mine who lives in Paris, France. This is his insight on these marked rifles.

Winchester model 1892 with a barrel stamped with "MANUFACTURE FRANCAISE D'ARMES & CYCLES ST ETIENNE" are not uncommon here in France. It simply means that the rifle was sold by the company called "Manufacture d’armes et cycles de Saint Etienne" (often called Manufrance) which was based in the city of Saint Etienne. The barrel is still the original Winchester barrel. Those rifles were often taylored to the liking of Europeans with a shotgun buttplate and european sling swivels, like this one here:

https://www.naturabuy.fr/Carabine-Wi...-11069213.html

Manufrance was a large company founded at the end of XIX's century that manufactured firearms, bicycles (cycles in french) and sewing machines. They were also the first to offer mail order, selling all sorts of equipment and hardware. They were like the Amazon of the early days, but with a catalogue instead of a website.

Here is a link to the complete 1912 catalogue:

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bp...509p/f142.item

Glad that I could help,
    Michael Puzio
    Thank Mike...much appreciated

irc i recall an article in the American Rifleman years ago that the French purchased Wincher model 92 + + 94's during WWI in addition to Remington rolling blocks - = the lever actions were preferred by the French spotter pilots -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin