Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm always amazed at how lucky I am

I'm always amazed at how lucky I am

In the last few days, we had a crew putting siding on the house.
    They moved everything away from the walls to reach the top of it and install the gutters.
    In the front, we have sort of a rock garden where there we have a few permanent bushes, my red neck yard art,
    and this concrete bird bath thing with some sort of green hair looking vine/ground cover stuff growing in it.
    The crew moved it out of the away, but didn't put it back when they were done.
    I figured out why when I tried to pick it up. Yep. I'd forgotten how heavy it is.

I was wandering around last night, saw it, and went to put it back.
    No big deal, until I tried to put the bowl part back on top of the pedestal.
    .....I tripped on the cement bull dog statue and fell.

Once again,,,,,, I was lucky! I had a nice big rose bush to fall into and cushion & soften my impact.

I was laying in the rose bush, and it occurred to me,,,, I am very lucky we didn't decide to put cactus plants there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Yep, cactus would have hurt...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I give you an A+ for your attitude, acceptance, and general optimism. With those qualities, you will be well served to endure whatever luck sends your way. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

When I was a kid, Tarzan was a thing we never missed on TV. Buddy and I built a treehouse and decided the thing to do was jump out and grab another treetop and let that bring us to the ground like Tarzan. Me first. Jumped and grabbed the tree which bent and promptly broke 10-15ft off the ground. My good luck had it happen over a blackberry patch which cushioned my fall.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I’m lucky that my wife can’t read my mind.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Winger.........knock on wood
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    My younger brother and I talked about things we did when we were young. Guys understand and laugh. Our wives thought that we were idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    My younger brother and I talked about things we did when we were young. Guys understand and laugh. Our wives thought that we were idiots.

That reminds me, 20-odd years ago, when I was between wife #1 and #2-
    the live in girl friend of the time and I was talking about that very thing.

After telling of some adventure- I think it was about chasing each other around with the old school roman candle fireworks.
    I asked her, 'did yawl ever do that where you grew up'?
    She told me that we didn't grow up on the same planet.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    It's nice to appreciate how blessed we are in these momments!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Sooooo . . . . . did you get the top of the birdbath put back on?

Boolit Master
    After watching a movie about mountain climbing, I was intrigued by the guys rappelling down the mountain. I thought I can do that, so I grabbed a rope. Tied it to a pipe on the roof of a second story building, wrapped the rope around me, and over the edge I went. Halfway down, I felt the rope burning up my left arm, tried to slow down my descent, and the cheap cotton gloves I was wearing weren't working, then I reached the ground. I wore that scar for almost 2 years. The next time I went rappelling, 15 yrs later, I went off an 80ft tower, w/o any problems. I was in the National Guard then. Lol

Boolit Master

The first time I went snow skiing was in the Alps of Bavaria. I had just been stationed in Bamberg and my troop was going to Chiemsee for R&R. My new found "buddies" that could ski said "aw come on with us, don't do those bunny classes. We will teach you to ski." Yeah right. Lesson number 1 was learned very quickly. If you are going too fast just fall, especially if you can't make the turn that would send you over a 1000 foot cliff. I learned to fall very well and had lot's of practice at it.

Boolit Master

Riding on Finsters comments - The guys I was with in the 1970's in Korea mostly jumped out of planes and helicopters with parachutes. After a couple of months they finally convinced me to come with them to the "Jump Club" and watch in the morning and take the "Ground Class" in the afternoon so I could join in the fun when they would jump. They all piled into a helicopter which went up and up and up. Someone jumped and there was this wavy thing over th guy as he was rapidly coming down - it then drifted away and another wavy thing appeard above him. About 800 feet above the ground it suddenly "Popped Open" . Two malfunctions for the jumper on one jump - they told me it was a one in a million chance; but I thought it was a NOTICE FROM GOD to me; I don't jump out of good aerial equipment; then or now.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I know how lucky I am every time I look at my wife.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    When I was a kid, Tarzan was a thing we never missed on TV. Buddy and I built a treehouse and decided the thing to do was jump out and grab another treetop and let that bring us to the ground like Tarzan. Me first. Jumped and grabbed the tree which bent and promptly broke 10-15ft off the ground. My good luck had it happen over a blackberry patch which cushioned my fall.
    About the Tarzan thing, the grape vine over the creek gave way and I landed in a sand patch in the middle of a rock pile. Never could get the yell right and swing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Sooooo . . . . . did you get the top of the birdbath put back on?

Oh yeah. He lost some dirt, so I need to give it a transfusion, but it'll be fine.

I'll bounce back too.
    But not quite as fast as when me & a buddy jumped off the roof with a umbrella after watching 'Ripcord' when it was in prime time.

EVERYONE!

Honestly I have no idea why I'm still alive. I'm not going to state specifics because it's rather embarrassing actually.

I keep thinking there must be a specific reason but I've no idea what it is. I don't take nearly as many things for granted now days, I will say that much.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking quite a few of us don't bounce as well as we used to.

Boolit Master
    Explored a number of abandoned mines when at a small mining college in central New Mexico. Crazy dangerous in retrospect, none of us died, amazing. And then there was the dynamite in the dorm rooms. Like the saying goes, would rather be lucky than good. :-/

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    The first time I went snow skiing was in the Alps of Bavaria. I had just been stationed in Bamberg and my troop was going to Chiemsee for R&R. My new found "buddies" that could ski said "aw come on with us, don't do those bunny classes. We will teach you to ski." Yeah right. Lesson number 1 was learned very quickly. If you are going too fast just fall, especially if you can't make the turn that would send you over a 1000 foot cliff. I learned to fall very well and had lot's of practice at it.
    My first time was at Lake Placid a lil while after the Olympics while I was in college. Never skied before. Tried getting a lesson and instructor said I had no business being on skis. Couldn't snow plow. Guys took me to their trail to "teach me" how to ski. I ended up going through a roped off section to what looked like two black diamonds. I lived. Turns out I can't snow plow but I can do that side type stop and could fall pretty good. Never skied again. Turns out the trail I took was the same one they used in the Olympics.
    Ron