Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casting .22 Airgun Pellets

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    BPI F super buck is .220

Nickle plated is .215 to .220

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Ni...uctinfo/NP1FB/
    I think those might be too hard. They are Antimony/Lead with a (heavy) nickel plating. Pellets are soft lead.

I "need" a new mold. LOL I put a post down in Group Buy Discussion. I am thinking .224" finished size.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    IMO there is very little chance of those balls working past 10 yards. And by "working" I mean decent groups at 25 yards. The econo Crosman's will group under 1/2" at 25 yards in a $300 rifle.

I am not sure Ghosthawk has shot them past 25 ft. but I would defer to his experience.
    You may be right, I just think that casting a perfect .022" thick skirt on a pellet will be tricky. I've only seen 2 reviews, they were not positive but I've no idea how experienced the casters were.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Dverna I suspect that I agree with you.

They do have one advantage over a pellet, wind will mess with them less. Less to get aholt of.

I have not shot them at 25 or 50 yards because it would either cost me 20$ range fees (assuming I could find one that would let me shoot an airgun at that range) or it is 20 + miles one way to an "open" range with no RSO's, no rule enforcement, and no safety. Anything could happen out there.

The last option is a 40 mile drive out to the farmland I am selling via Contract for deed. I suspect those boys might look at me a mite strange. But I doubt they'd say a word.

None of which gives me any incentive to actually test those round balls. I'll let someone else lead and see what they say.

True MOA 1/2 inch at 50 yards I'd be pretty surprised. But it is possible. Not that I'd bet the farm on it. But I wouldn't bet the farm against it either. Miracles happen some days.

It was an investment I made, and something I played with because I was interested.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Doesn’t sound like a cost effective use of time for airgun pellets but... it’s your time...
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master
    If you buy a NOE pellet mould you get three different pins to form the base skirt on the pellet.
    Put another way, you get three different skirt thicknesses or weights of pellet.
    If you use a hot plate to get the moulds hot and keep them hot via the hot plate you will have no trouble with skirt fillout.
    I shoot the lightest pellet from a pump up Benjamin .22 and the thick

est skirt from a .223 primer only cartridge case.
    I need a heavier duty pellet rifle to shoot the thick skirts, although the Benjy will still shoot them but being heavier. at a lower but deeper penetrating velocity.
    It's all fun and I just use wheel weights to cast them.
    NOE also sells sizing dies any size .217 etc.
    Casting and Handloading, it's all experimental and just depends on how much time you are willing to invest.
    Those in a hurry can't afford to waste time waiting for the lead to get hot enough to cast.
    Those people should go buy Walmarts pellets because next week it may be politically unwise for them to stock those lead thingies that pollute the environment.
    That's about it.
    Just a retired pensioner who found out just what the 'tired' in retired means.The rest you'll have to figure out on yourownselves time.
    Good Luck!

Boolit Grand Master
    Alfred,

I am retired as well. It was very interesting that the NOE mold comes with different pins.

I am going to take your advice and buy pellets. I enjoy the shooting aspect of our hobby and will leave the fun of casting to those who prefer that aspect.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Mold was the .22 sharpshooter. .22 round balls on both sides.

Crossman Premier Hollow points measured avg .220 to .221.
    Cast buckshot measured .225 to .230, weighed average of 15.5 gr. Which surprisingly is just a bit heavier than the CPHP at 14.3

This was with my elcheapo Harbor freight digital caliper not a precision instrument.

The real drive for me was to have a way to cast my own airgun ammo "If needed" ie SHTF.
    Meantime I have CPHP's stacked wide high and deep.
    I have two Harbor Freight calipers and info in the box says accurate to with in .1000 of an inch and my expensive micrometer comfirms that.

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    I have two Harbor Freight calipers and info in the box says accurate to with in .1000 of an inch and my expensive micrometer comfirms that.

I both agree and disagree. I obviously have one and use it. For my needs for the most part it is good enough.

But when you are talking about the difference between a .222 pellet and a .2235 round ball, and accuracy is only to 0.1.
    Well its not what I would call precision. Better than nothing. But not a whole lot better.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I both agree and disagree. I obviously have one and use it. For my needs for the most part it is good enough.

But when you are talking about the difference between a .222 pellet and a .2235 round ball, and accuracy is only to 0.1.
    Well its not what I would call precision. Better than nothing. But not a whole lot better.
    Agreed, especially in a pellet gun. Considering cast boolit .25 and up .001 is quite close enough. I think for the price of a harbor freight, I paid $9.99 each on sale a few years ago. I just now saw a caliper selling for a fair price of $19.99 on the web, that's not a bad price, except they only guarantee an accuracy of 0.01, that is unacceptable. I will keep using my Harbor freight with confidence.

Boolit Master

I'm confused. In post 27 you say accurate to .1000 (1/10) and in post 29 you indicate .001 (1/1000). Which is it?
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whisler View Post
    I'm confused. In post 27 you say accurate to .1000 (1/10) and in post 29 you indicate .001 (1/1000). Which is it?
    Sorry about that post 27 should have been .001, I should have proof read it before posting.

Boolit Master

Thanks for clearing that up.
    God Bless, Whisler