Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple of firsts for me

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations and well done !
    It does the heart well to be well prepared for your future hunting.
    Bet you could line up 8 more of those corn crunchers using that slug / velocity and punch them all.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Yeah, that slug bounced right on through . 👍🏻

I hadn’t hunted for a long time and got back into it along with just beginning to cast .
    The adrenaline rush ( buck fever ) hit me pretty hard. That deer looked at me off and on for about 8 minutes . It was tough getting the rifle into position between him looking at me and eating corn ( legal here).

Boolit Master
    Outstanding job, thanks for sharing the pic and taking us along!

Boolit Master

Happy for you! It is something you will never forget!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

That’s a fact .
    Now I need to get one with cast in a 44 mag revolver !

Boolit Master

That's great man! I know that satisfaction of killing a deer with a bullet you actually made. I started this addiction 20+ years ago and don't remember the last deer I killed with a jacketed bullet. I probably hunt in places like you do since I'm from Ala too there isn't any need for screaming velocity etc at ranges at, or under 100yds. Where I hunt, the only place you can see more than 100yds is straight up! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    That's great man! I know that satisfaction of killing a deer with a bullet you actually made. I started this addiction 20+ years ago and don't remember the last deer I killed with a jacketed bullet. I probably hunt in places like you do since I'm from Ala too there isn't any need for screaming velocity etc at ranges at, or under 100yds. Where I hunt, the only place you can see more than 100yds is straight up! Congratulations!
    Thanks ! You are correct . I’m usually hunting in places where 50-60 yards is a long shot . I haven’t shot a deer out in an open field in nearly 30 years.
    Two weekends left in this season and I’m hoping to get a decent buck .
    Good luck to you as well.

Boolit Man
    Glad to see some more Alabama guys shootin' cast!

Boolit Master
    Congratulations!

I took my second firearms deer (a doe) this year using my Marlin Guide Gun with a .460” 360gr boolit from an NOE mold. I’ve shot several with that load over the years and using boolits I cast just seems to make the burger taste better.

I’m sure it does. I’ll find out soon !

Hook, I have transitioned to cast in all my hunting firearms except one and hope to swap it over pretty soon.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightbrained View Post
    I’m sure it does. I’ll find out soon !

Hook, I have transitioned to cast in all my hunting firearms except one and hope to swap it over pretty soon.
    Rb, I have 4 30 cals, a 9mm (or 35cal if you will), and a 45-70 now as dedicated cast rifles. At least at this time I do not plan to do so with any more calibers/cartridges. You might say I'm a 'switch hitter' when it comes to projectiles. I still enjoy shooting them all! I do have to admit that this project of the last several months developing the powder coated cast bullets has been great fun and very satisfying. As has been stated earlier. there's something eminently satisfying about taking game with a bullet you made yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Rb, I have 4 30 cals, a 9mm (or 35cal if you will), and a 45-70 now as dedicated cast rifles. At least at this time I do not plan to do so with any more calibers/cartridges. You might say I'm a 'switch hitter' when it comes to projectiles. I still enjoy shooting them all! I do have to admit that this project of the last several months developing the powder coated cast bullets has been great fun and very satisfying. As has been stated earlier. there's something eminently satisfying about taking game with a bullet you made yourself!
    No doubt about it. I started casting and powder coating just prior to this hunting season. That made it even more satisfying when I finally had the opportunity to take a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Everyone knows a cast boolit will just bounce off a deer! C'mon, man! Good kill.
    I've got a feeling that deer aren't going to evolve bony plates around their vitals anytime soon.

Congrats on the deer and casting. We need to get several of us from the area and go do a range day after season.

Owls Hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwsbull View Post
    Congrats on the deer and casting. We need to get several of us from the area and go do a range day after season.

Owls Hollow.
    Thanks !
    That sounds like a good idea. I don’t know anyone local that casts and it would be nice to meet some like-minded folks.

Boolit Grand Master

I understand what you mean about not knowing anyone who casts.
    Our local club in east ILL-nois has 230 members and I am the last lead melter I know about.
    But most fellers are into fast shooter competition. Maybe 2-3 others who shoot muzzleloaders. Few lever rifles. Some revolvers.
    But I still enjoy shooting cast in everything we own. You should see the looks when when the 50 Alaskan barks or a 375 H&H gets touched off ! At roughly 12 cents a shot I am all smiles.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    Congrats , that is something to be very proud of .

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    I understand what you mean about not knowing anyone who casts.
    Our local club in east ILL-nois has 230 members and I am the last lead melter I know about.
    But most fellers are into fast shooter competition. Maybe 2-3 others who shoot muzzleloaders. Few lever rifles. Some revolvers.
    But I still enjoy shooting cast in everything we own. You should see the looks when when the 50 Alaskan barks or a 375 H&H gets touched off ! At roughly 12 cents a shot I am all smiles.
    Haha, casting and loading your own sure makes shooting those a lot more economical .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rightbrained View Post
    Thanks guys , it is a feeling of accomplishment when you cast your own boolit and get meat for the freezer.
    So many people think you have to buy the latest/greatest high tech super duper technology to put meat on the table. I’m not in that camp .
    Neither am I.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.